WeiDU - the adventure.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:33 AM

So, as I didn't know where to put this, and it's supposed to be a 1nf0rmat1v6funny topic, so I put it here... you might also learn evil things.
PS: There is no need to fix any of the problems... just read the topic. Yes, it's a kinda fan fiction.

Sometimes the adventures just ends up all screwy like this:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~AB.TP2~ #0 #0 // ?????? -> : ???
~AB.TP2~ #0 #1 // ?????? -> : ???
~AB.TP2~ #0 #7 // ?????? -> : ???
~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1 // ?????? -> : ???
~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #10 // ?????? -> : ???
~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3130 // ?????? -> : ???
~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #100 // ?????? -> : ???
~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #200 // ?????? -> : ???
~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #300 // ?????? -> : ???
~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #400 // ?????? -> : ???
~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #500 // ?????? -> : ???
~IWDNPC/SETUP-IWDNPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // IWD NPC, v0.01
~IWDNPC/SETUP-IWDNPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // Alternate class for Korin - multiclass cleric/ranger
~WIDESCREEN/WIDESCREEN.TP2~ #0 #0 // <Invalid Strref 39850>: <Invalid Strref 39849>

<_< You start to think, why in the frell would even want to you start the adventure again, but then again it's fun and all that, so you continue because you have other IE games, so you go and install one of the other games to mod... and just because you can, you make a backup from the game folder, go WeiDUing and end up happily with the // ?????? -> : ??? on the new games log too... so you move that and to different directory, cause you do want to look at the mistakes you made to, avoid them... you re-load the backup from the backup folder and few mods later you notice the lack of an important fix mod, the few in this case means about 100... and not willing to give up you play the game a few hours and exit. Now that you are lacking the capacity to reinstall the whole kaleidoscope of the games mods anew, as the backup needs to be safeTM you think to play just the un-moded game again. But in this you run in to a problem as the safe backup doesn't work as it was intended for some reason! :wacko: You then notice that the baldur.ini's [Alias] points to the default directory:
[Alias]
HD0:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\
CD1:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD1\
CD2:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\;C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\
CD3:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD3\
CD4:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD4\
CD5:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD5\
So, to tackle this, you notice you can change the HD0:= -line to the right directory(HD0:=C:\Games\BGII - SoA\ for example), and get the job done.
You happily go along play the game few times... and few months later want to start to make your own mods, you load up a moding tool -you fool, make few items, cheat them to yourself with the CLUAConsole, get sick of them for their cheesy ways, and as there is a new game to be played, you go and uninstall the game.
A few months/mod uploads later, you find the old game from the backup, and happily to see it again you go and try to install a new mod that should be compatible with every mod you have. But the WeiDU still gives you headache as it can't see the backup having the wrong [Alias], so you go and solve that problem... and then as the new mod is installed you try to start the game and find out that yes, the game console that pops up when you start the baldur.exe only has two options, Install and Exit. :blink: That's it, you give up, so you have to install again... you start the WeiDU and install a few mods with an auto-installer, start the game and notice that yes, it's all again screwy like. So you go and delete the game folder.
After some time again( :) ) you try to replay the game, but ups, you can't even install the game?!? Later you find this and find the answer there. In the first case you had uninstalled the game, but had the safe backup folder, and in the second, you had deleted the files without uninstall. In the later you hadn't removed the InstallShield logs. :(
So you reinstall and get it finally working, but then you get a new computer and it comes with Windows Vista. :new_thumbs:
You do the assumed normal thing as you just forgot everything you should have known and eventually find out that you can't even use the CLUAConsole anymore because even though you made sure that you edited the baldur.ini to have the Debug Mode=1, it's not there cause the beloved Macrohard Wormdoors Virus infected target ... aka Vista, doesn't edit the file even though it does let you save it to the same directory, as the operation system actually saves the file you made as a mirror to the original file just the laugh at your lousy attempt to modify one of it's most essential files...PS:VistaTM
To get around that you just had to know to 1) turn off the Windows newest addition called User Account Control, 2) install the game to other than the normal C:\Program Files\ -subfolder, 3) put off the new directory's Read-only function, but how many times you need to remove the tick as the thing newer leaves the Attribute, the answer being just 1's, as somebody screwed up within the Microsoft, so the thing never actually is correct. :new_thumbs:
After you have survived this trip, you get to the actual fun, which is to see how many mods you can install until you loose, because of bugs in the other good game called Baldur's Gate... -game: a good game on it's own, but not as good as the great WeiDU-adventure, not even with the mods. Did you miss it, yes you might have as I was talking about the WeiDU-adventure as a game there. :naughty:
Also you might be wandering why all of sudden you have huge lags on you game even though you have computer that 10 to 100 time better than the minimum requirements. Getting around that I'll provide you with this mini infopack:

0. Always patch the game(s) with the latest patch, start a new game and exit after the game has auto-saves itself(so you have to make a char or choose a pre-made one), before you do any moding, and you might as well make a safe backup from the important files: data and override folders, baldur.exe, BGMain.exe, dialog.tlk and CHITIN.key .
1. Put the ambient sounds off from the BGConfic.exe, as some of the areas might have no ambient sounds and so the game tries to start them many time continuously, and so looses processing power.
2. Don't mess with the game configurations so the speed adjustment percentages stay on "normal" ratings even if you have very high end machine, as the game has own it's internal fps counter, it sometimes tries to correct the fps on it's own by lowering graphs etc. Also the games frame rate should be set to about 30, as that's the default.
3. I wouldn't recommend to install any of the speaking item mods, as they run their scripts and fire their comments everywhere, and that's bad for the fps(frames/second count).
4. Delete the old files from the Cache folder time to time.
5. Inventory management(no stacks that have more than about 200 items, in a bag, arrows etc.), -might help.
6. Trying to avoid too many effects on a character(about 20 is fine, 200 is too many, and 20 000 is way way too many...)
7. De-fragmenting your hard drive might also help... as you don't have to go find the data in the pieces. (hmm, there is a joke in there, hih)
8. Install the mods in correct order, and make sure you started from a clean install, so there is no leftovers from old mods, by deleting the old mod files, the data and override folders(don't go and overwrite them), helpful links for for Tutu and BGT(the .pdf files) -based Megamods.
9. It might be a good idea to biff your override folder, but do that knowing that you generally can't change the game much after. Or use the End_biff from here.

So... now that you and I know all those facts, it's no wonder that I have plenty of Infinity Engine games in my hard drive.
7 Copies of Baldur's Gate II's. (2 Classic Adventure once, 1 unmoded one as I have to have a back up, and two highly moded once to test, and to test my own mod; Esiriak I had to take one more, plus I have a clear backup for all the moded files totaling 1Gb) and one is a EasyTutu.
2 Copies of Baldur's Gate, but hey, I always do need a back up don't I.
3 Copies of Icewind Dale.(1 Unmoded as a backup, the one that's WeiDU log hangs there, and one to test a new configuration of an mod, also almost like that above WeiDU.log)
1 Copy of Icewind Dale II.
1 Copy of Torment.

And then I have the mod .rar's and old once as backups... totaling about 12 to 15 Gbs. It's not a lot, no.
Ahh, I probably forgot few thingas... will edit this post, probably.
Cerberus v1.05, MegaModKits v1.01L, iiSpellSystemAdjustments v7.1; mods by Jarno Mikkola the Imp. FAQ for the Megamods. The Frequently Answered Questions.
BWS - Standard = not imba items spells or cheats. Tactical = AI hardly stupid = stupid hard. Expert = broke.
In case the BG2 game crashes post the content of your baldur.err file. To get it to record stuff, open up the 'baldur.ini' in your game folder with Notepad, and under the [Program Options] section in the file, make a new line and type in 'Logging On=1' (without the '' quotes, unless the line is already there)... Save the file and exit. Now go back into the game and try to reproduce the crash. Then look in your game folder again for the Baldur.err file and open it with the Notepad to analyze its contents, or let us do it.
Posted Image

I am afraid of nothing.

#2 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:28 PM

Enough text to make another great wall of china. And I understood absolutely nothing. Good thing I don't screw around with coding that much. Coding = Pain.

#3 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:07 AM

Nononononono! CODING = AWESOMENESS! WHEEE!

(Hello nice men with white coats!)

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:02 PM

The Widescreen mod is only compatible with the Graphic User Interface changer mods, if you install the GUI mods BEFORE the Widescreen mod. Or the GUI mod is made to be used after the WSM. There is now of them, one is for BG1, and one for PS:Torment, and two "new" Icewind Dale GUI mods done for specific resolutions: 1600x900 and 1920x1200.
If you do install the GUI mod after the Widescreen mod, as many have, you'll get black boxes or other graphical oddities to the parts that are exceeding original parts of the Graphic User Interface, meaning the dialog box etc. Like this:
Posted Image
This was without exceptions... this list includes, the BGII - ToB & it's patches, BG1Tutu, EasyTutu, BGT, SoS, TDD, ROT, TS, TS-BP, NEJ's, the setup-GUI in BGT-WeiDU, BG2 GUI Skin Mod, W_GUI, TutuGUI, with Total Conversion mods like; Shadow Hand GUI, Classic Adventure, Epic Endeavours, Return to Trademeet, IwD in BGII, The Glory of Istar, IwD1Tutu, IwD2Tutu, and a few others...

Edit: Also the menus are effected(the mod in use is the W_GUI v0.4):
Posted Image
I also noticed that at least the setup-GUI's "Baldur's Gate Trilogy" (Elminster wielding sword)(it shipped out with one of the v1.09 BGT's) didn't have this screen breakdown effect even after installing the latest version of Widescreen mod(v2.5), curiously.
///Necro posting because of a popular request, so I can link to this post... so please don't comment!///

will edit this post, probably.

As a pride of testimony, will never do such a sacrilege.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 14 October 2012 - 11:41 PM.

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:26 AM

///Necro posting because of a popular request, so I can link to this post, and remember it... so please don't comment!///
///Or if you wish to, do it here, instead.///
So some of the investigation goes further, and we can found that the Worldmap is totally messed up as it was edited a couple hundred times...
The (G3)BG2Fixpack overwrites the original worldmap.wmp file on it's primary component, a few of the minor mods patch the worldmap.wmp file(the archive names are: g3anniversary-v7.exe, BGTTweak_v9.rar) because they areas are undisputed and then there is a whole lot of mods that just overwrite the current one(BGT, SoS, TDD, CtB, RoT, DSotSC, NEJ, NTotSC, DrizztSagaforBGT,tSoA, SoBH, and probably others) cause it was easier to make and because the WeiDU coding that allowed the patching was made later, just like the BG2Fixpack, or because they cannot assume a million things at the same time as you cannot patch all the above files, that the patcher mods can do.
This of course made a mess of the whole file, so the rescuer came to be, and is now known as the (BP-BGT)Worldmap mod. It also overwrites the currently used worldmap.wmp, but then it has been made to retrieve info the other mods make during their installation so it can incorporate all the other changes onto it... as the other mods have been programmed to make a patch file for the Worldmap mod.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 14 January 2011 - 12:26 AM.

Cerberus v1.05, MegaModKits v1.01L, iiSpellSystemAdjustments v7.1; mods by Jarno Mikkola the Imp. FAQ for the Megamods. The Frequently Answered Questions.
BWS - Standard = not imba items spells or cheats. Tactical = AI hardly stupid = stupid hard. Expert = broke.
In case the BG2 game crashes post the content of your baldur.err file. To get it to record stuff, open up the 'baldur.ini' in your game folder with Notepad, and under the [Program Options] section in the file, make a new line and type in 'Logging On=1' (without the '' quotes, unless the line is already there)... Save the file and exit. Now go back into the game and try to reproduce the crash. Then look in your game folder again for the Baldur.err file and open it with the Notepad to analyze its contents, or let us do it.
Posted Image

I am afraid of nothing.

#6 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:28 AM

///Necro posting because of a popular request, so I can link to this post, and remember it... so please don't comment!///
Official links to posts/unofficial sites from which you can download files from, if their official sources are down:
"Herbs and Potions Add-in for Baldur's Gate v1.0.3", "Herbs and Potions Add-in for BG2 v1.0.4", "Super Firkraag v1.4", "RPG Dungeon Item Pack v2"; link.
"Sheena, a Half Dragon Tale v1.7", "Mix Mod v5", "Teleport Spell v14": Link.
The "Baldurdash WeiDU v1.6.8", (BDash168.exe).
The "Tower Of Deception v3.3.1" (TOD-v3.3.1.rar).
The "Grey clan episode 1: In Candlelight" (tgc1e_bgt.zip).
"Facing the Shade Lord again", (submission-igi.zip & submission-k\'aeloree.zip).
Solestia NPC v1.2
Avi Maya NPC Project (AviM) v6.0 (direct download)
Grimuars v3.3 (direct download)
Larsha NPC v0.3 (direct download)
Lester NPC v0.9 (direct download)
Paladins of Faerun Kitpack v5
Raziel NPC v1 (direct download)
YLItems Pack v1.0 (direct download).

The policy usually is that, these will be removed if they are noticed to not being valid anymore or they are hosted in two stable download sites, which is not likely to happen. :P
Posted Image

I am afraid of nothing.

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:30 AM

I already reserve this post for a section that will talk about the BGII - SoA & ToB 4+1 CD versions .bifs ... see that soon.
Posted Image

I am afraid of nothing.