Photo

Yet another new component for version 3.0!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:52 PM

Announcing:

Restored Lower Ward Encounters!

This component is packaged along with the rest of the Recommended components. It restores 7 creatures to the main Lower Ward area, all with previously unseen dialogues that shipped with the original game.

The best new addition is Hailcin'n, a scarred and tattooed githzerai warrior who wanders in the same general area as Kii'na. A very colorful character, he thankfully doesn't seem to hold Dak'kon's history against him. This was an easy restoration - the game files already included his creature file, his dialogue file, and his walking-around script. All I needed to do was put him in place, and do a couple of very minor dialogue corrections. His dialogue is quite detailed, and adds a lot of flavor.

The other 6 creatures are placed based on two unused dialogue files, representing customers standing around Deran, the slave auctioneer. Much like the customers at Giltspur's auction, there are 3 males and 3 females. Talking to any one of them can produce one of 3 random dialogues for that gender, again the same as occurs with Giltspur's customers. No corrections to the dialogues were necessary, but I did have to pick creature sprites and write a script for them based on the (fixed by the Fixpack) Giltspur customer script. They also add a good deal of flavor to that area.

I hope everyone will enjoy this new component :) I think it makes what was already a very interesting area even more so, and restores about a hundred lines of previously unseen dialogue to the game.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 01 December 2008 - 06:11 PM.

#2 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:35 PM

But wait! There's more!

Make that -9- new encounters in the Lower Ward :) I didn't find any additional dialogues, but I did find a script for a Laborer in the Lower Ward with lots and lots of floating text. It's a worker who walks all around the area near where Lenny hangs out. He's clearly supposed to be helping a fellow worker, and I found unused floating text lines for -him- in the dialog.tlk file right next to the lines from the script I found. So I created a script for him, placed him in a stationary position where he's clearly supposed to be doing his work, and gave him the lines from the dialog.tlk file. It all plays out quite beautifully :) Every line of text you'll see is a genuine restoration, I haven't added any text. I gave them a couple of appropriate generic dialogue files for when you click-talk them, one for a laborer and one for a generic Lower Ward Townsperson, for them as well.

Just a little more flavor for an area of the Lower Ward that was pretty underpopulated.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 01 December 2008 - 09:37 PM.

#3 xantrius

xantrius
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:49 AM

I love you Qwinn you just keep unearthing more things. :Bow:

#4 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:29 AM

^ what he said :)

#5 rtr86

rtr86
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:12 AM

Great work Qwinn,

Why is it so many game makers leave so much stuff out but not delete it entirely? I'm really pleased they did not delete it permanently as guys like you have recovered and added so much to the game. I know PS:T is not an exception though and lots of games have 'hidden stuff', any idea why?

#6 the vanished one

the vanished one
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:23 AM

Thanks, Qwinn!

#7 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:56 AM

But wait! There's -still- more!

To avoid spoilers... there's a certain chain of events that can cause Kii'na to leave the Lower Ward in a hurry. She never comes back... but she has a ton of never-before-seen dialogue that would be perfectly appropriate if she -did- come back. And there's no reason she shouldn't.

When installing this component, if Kii'na leaves as a result of information you've given her, she will return to the Lower Ward in eight game days.

Qwinn