Photo

High Hedge CTD

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:39 AM

While walking happily with my party in High Hedge near the coordinates x=382 , y=578 , AR7100, I experienced a ugly CTD with the following error message: "An assertion Failed in ChVidImage3d.cpp at line number 889". I tried again 3 times walking through there and the crash happens every time in the same place. I uploaded my weidu log just in case maybe something is wrong with my install and I don't know.

Attached Files

Edited by dreamer2007, 29 December 2008 - 07:40 AM.

#2 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:08 AM

I've found that from seanas:

from the Bioware site, the closest i could find to yr error:

("BG II Assertion Errors")
ChVidmod3d.cpp at line 889

Error retrieving frame information from a BAM in 3D mode. This is most likely bad data. Try clearing out your "cache", "temp",and "tempsave" directories. Failing that, try reinstalling.

Sounds not good... :(

Perhaps someone has an idea how you can fix this, to avoid a complete reinstall...

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 30 December 2008 - 05:13 AM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#3 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:41 AM

I asked a friend of mine that recently installed BWP 5.6 to go exactly in the same area I've been to see if everything works correctly at his end but he experiences exactly the same error... And there are some big differences between out two installation environments - he has XP while I have vista, he made some changes in his install like not installing level 1 NPCs, and his BG1 version has the problem with the missing files that he had to obtain unlike mine that was complete.

Edit: with the help of my friend I realized that maybe the skeletons are the cause of the crashes. If I only knew the console command to summon a skeleton to check would be awesome.

Edited by dreamer2007, 30 December 2008 - 10:41 AM.

#4 Steve

Steve
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:02 PM

Isn't this the standard message for when a .CRE has a weapon combo that BG doesn't support? For example, a creature with a two-handed sword equipped with a shield.

#5 -Kyjan-

-Kyjan-

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:50 AM

It happens as soon as skeletons spawn. When they dont, the area seems ok.

#6 -Kyjan-

-Kyjan-

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:13 AM

Same error message at Ulcaster School's ruins near the Death Knight (x=4396, y=1115 AR 9799).

#7 Steve

Steve
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

Try downloading and loading this and tell me what it says:
http://home.comcast....ory_Checker.zip

#8 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:36 PM

Okay then here is the BG2 creature inventory checker debug file

Attached Files

#9 Steve

Steve
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:03 AM

These creatures will cause a crash whenever they're spawned. They have a two-handed weapon selected but have a shield or off-hand weapon equipped:
NTKROTAN.cre
ORCSUM2.cre

These will probably crash if their scripts perform an EquipRanged action. They have a single-handed weapon and a shield equipped, but also have a two-handed missile (bow or crossbow) in a weapon slot.
C6BRAN.cre
FRANCO.cre
IRLANA.cre
JOLUS.cre
KAYL1.cre
PSPNIGHT.cre
SLYTH.cre
TRPLE01.cre

These may or may not cause crashes, I don't know. They have a two-handed weapon selected, but there's an item in its shield slot that's not a shield or weapon.
BW05FGCA.cre
TB#LOTR1.cre
BW05FGCA.cre

> If I only knew the console command to summon a skeleton to check would be awesome.

CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("skelets")

Edited by Steve, 02 January 2009 - 10:18 AM.

#10 Vengor

Vengor
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

I don't know if you found the solution to your problem yet but I had the same as yours. It seems the creature "SKELETS" was the one causing problem in my case at least. I deleted his shield via Shadowkeeper and it fixed it, you might want to give it a try.

#11 Steve

Steve
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

I just summoned a SKELETS.cre in a BGT game, and it didn't crash. It however didn't throw its daggers but rather switched to its short sword for melee. Anyone know how to check if the SKELETON animation has a "hurling with shield" entry?

Edit:
And it crashed when I changed its script to attack with whatever weapon it has.

Edited by Steve, 02 January 2009 - 10:39 AM.

#12 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:46 AM

These creatures will cause a crash whenever they're spawned. They have a two-handed weapon selected but have a shield or off-hand weapon equipped:
NTKROTAN.cre
ORCSUM2.cre

These will probably crash if their scripts perform an EquipRanged action. They have a single-handed weapon and a shield equipped, but also have a two-handed missile (bow or crossbow) in a weapon slot.
C6BRAN.cre
FRANCO.cre
IRLANA.cre
JOLUS.cre
KAYL1.cre
PSPNIGHT.cre
SLYTH.cre
TRPLE01.cre

These may or may not cause crashes, I don't know. They have a two-handed weapon selected, but there's an item in its shield slot that's not a shield or weapon.
BW05FGCA.cre
TB#LOTR1.cre
BW05FGCA.cre

> If I only knew the console command to summon a skeleton to check would be awesome.

CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("skelets")

When I summon the skeleton using this command I get the same CTD as in high hedge, so truly in my case the skeletons are the problem. Thanks for the info.

I don't know if you found the solution to your problem yet but I had the same as yours. It seems the creature "SKELETS" was the one causing problem in my case at least. I deleted his shield via Shadowkeeper and it fixed it, you might want to give it a try.

Okay thanks truly the skeletons are the problem, but how can I use shadow keeper to solve the problem because there are a lot of .cre files with the name skeletons? I tried to modify the .cre with the resource name skelets but the problem didn't disappear.

Edited by dreamer2007, 02 January 2009 - 10:50 AM.

#13 Steve

Steve
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

It's weird. When the skeleton has a shield equipped, it will never attack with a ranged weapon. Take the shield away and it will attack ranged and switch to melee when an enemy is close (and switch back if the enemy goes away). I'm using SCS so maybe there's something in that related to this.

Edit: Anything in the shield slot will cause the skeleton to only melee. You can even put a second weapon in the shield slot and the skeleton will use it, although the animation will only show a single weapon.

I use NearInfinity so I just edit a -1 into the shield slot of SKELETS.CRE to get rid of the shield.

Edited by Steve, 02 January 2009 - 11:50 AM.

#14 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

It's weird. When the skeleton has a shield equipped, it will never attack with a ranged weapon. Take the shield away and it will attack ranged and switch to melee when an enemy is close (and switch back if the enemy goes away). I'm using SCS so maybe there's something in that related to this.

I use NearInfinity so I just edit a -1 into the shield slot of SKELETS.CRE to get rid of the shield.

Strangely enough this solved my problem too :D . When I removed the shield the problem remained but when I put -1 to the shield slot the skeleton appears normally. Thanks! :cheers:

#15 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:31 AM

But now the question is what causes the bug so it can be fixed and avoided in other creatures... I believe that maybe the requirements of the shield have something to do with it, that it requires 12 strength and the skeleton has 9. What do you think?

Edited by dreamer2007, 03 January 2009 - 01:31 AM.

#16 White Agnus

White Agnus
  • Modder
  • 76 posts

Donator

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:30 AM

I got the problem today too. The Mod which is causing this CTD is Item Revisions, if you copy the shld13.itm from the Spell_Rev\Backup folder into the override folder the CTD is gone away. ;)

#17 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:11 AM

I think I may know what the issue is. Try extracting these .bam files into your override and let me know if it helps. If it does, I'll upload a complete fix on our forums at G3.

Edited by Mike1072, 03 January 2009 - 06:08 AM.

#18 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:45 AM

I think I may know what the issue is. Try extracting these .bam files into your override and let me know if it helps. If it does, I'll upload a complete fix on our forums at G3.

Yes the crash still happens but not instantly, when I use your .bam's the skeleton is created using the console command but after a second the crash happens with the same error message, while before I didn't even have a chance to see the skeleton.

Edited by dreamer2007, 03 January 2009 - 05:48 AM.

#19 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:06 AM

Okay, let's try this once more. I don't think I was doing it right the first time. I still may not be, but I hope I am.

Edit: Fixed so it doesn't include wpmc0inv.bam - overwriting that negates the whole point of having a custom animation.

Attached Files

Edited by Mike1072, 03 January 2009 - 06:35 AM.

#20 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:36 AM

Okay, let's try this once more. I don't think I was doing it right the first time. I still may not be, but I hope I am.

Okay this time it works :D. Good job! Thanks. So the animation for a shield was messed up, that's why the problem appeared?

Edited by dreamer2007, 03 January 2009 - 06:40 AM.