• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Slyde

Slyde
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:27 AM

anyone who uses non-magical items probably isn't enough of a threat

I had thought of this, and in mitigation
A) It was mostly just a cool effect, technical interest not so much "AWESOME COSMIC POWAH"
B) More and more mods are using tactics and scripts to make their antagonists a challenge rather than mass amounts of magic weaponry and armor
C) As with the chain creature, it's something relatively unique to the PCM ('Potential Crafting Mod') to set them a part from other mods, rather than add another deep but essentially clonal, angsty Mary-Sue

EDIT:
Rather than make another post
D) Could be more useful in BG2 Engine BG1 where more enemies use normal weaponry + armor

As for disabling enemies, your probably right, as I said I was just telling you somebody else's idea and my thoughts. Maybe It could only effect armor, or just leave it at 1xDay, or only have it work at a % of the times.

Quick Chain Creature Update-
Stats- Finished
Animations(including spell) - Still trying to get them right, having a lot of trouble
Sound set (no actual words, just chain noises)- Finishing Touches being done now with Audacity
Attack AI Scripts - Using some made by others, so finished
Name - Decided on Aes, as the name should be just a name to refer to it by, and not show to much personality. One syllable seems to fit. If anyone from a Latin speaking country (Spanish, French, Italian) could give me a DEFINITE pronunciation, I would appreciated it

Edited by Slyde, 12 January 2009 - 03:09 PM.

RUSTMONSTERS FTW

MODS IN PROGRESS
The Red Knight - A Quest and NPC mod, with emphasis on the first.
Sshamath - An Item Merchant mod using all the Ideas un-usable by the mod above.
MODS IN PLANNING
A Wizards Tomb - Our excuse to explore the games limitations . . . oh, and a quest!

#22 Lykainon

Lykainon

Extraordinary in a way your puny mortal brain cannot grasp.

• 198 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:23 AM

C) As with the chain creature, it's something relatively unique to the PCM ('Potential Crafting Mod') to set them a part from other mods, rather than add another deep but essentially clonal, angsty Mary-Sue

You really got some issues with those angsty NPCs, huh? ;) Not that I blame you, similar feelings on my side is one of the reasons I started writing Cason.

Aaaanyhow, more on topic... the rust-attack thingy could be pretty nice. If it seems to be overly powerful due to NPCs going haywire with loss of weapon, maybe it could be evened out by adding a %-chance (say... 50%) of the attack working. Also, those pretty broken weapon pictures will get useful again. Yay for that. :)
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape."

- Death, Hogfather (Terry Pratchett)

Arr! There be a pirate in the making!

#23 Slyde

Slyde
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:19 PM

You really got some issues with those angsty NPCs, huh?

Hmm Damage Control Time

I first must stress they are good pieces of work, it's just that they seem to be the variations on the same thing is all, and their deep philosophical conversation aren't appropriate to the game.

The first NPC mod I got was Solaufein and after a battle with a Dragon, with 3 characters dead the rest fatigued, one diseased, my main character poisoned and solaufein 3 HP from dead, he starts to question me, philosophically, about Boats, BOATS! They just seem to ruin the mood of the game. (Just one of the complaints associated with them, including spot-light theft, not just from <CHARNAME> but from everyone else)

Also, back on topic
RUST MONSTERS FTW! It would be awesome to make a dungeon with rust monsters (I always thought BG2 Didn't have enough dungeons that didn't have a personal plot, just go in kill monsters come out, lootbags bulging and get paid by local baron)

Also Lykainon just wondering if you were serious about turning the PCM to just CM? (When Cason is done)

Edited by Slyde, 12 January 2009 - 03:45 PM.

RUSTMONSTERS FTW

MODS IN PROGRESS
MODS IN PLANNING
A Wizards Tomb - Our excuse to explore the games limitations . . . oh, and a quest!

#24 Lykainon

Lykainon

Extraordinary in a way your puny mortal brain cannot grasp.

• 198 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:16 PM

Also Lykainon just wondering if you were serious about turning the PCM to just CM? (When Cason is done)

Well, kinda serious. I think it's a pretty good idea and got some thoughts on my own regarding it. On the other hand, I really should finish Cason (or at least get him to some sort of semi-beta stage) first and I haven't really been very inspired in my Cason-writing lately. Of course, there's always the possibility of working on two mods at once but I suspect that if I did, all my attention would drift towards the new project with poor Cason being left behind.

So, yeah.... kinda serious.

Also, rust-monsters for the win. :) (Although I can't help but think that they might fit better as a BGT or BG1 mod since non-magical items are a lot more common around those parts).

EDIT: Okay, I kind of changed my mind regarding that last statement. ;)

Edited by Lykainon, 12 January 2009 - 04:58 PM.

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape."

- Death, Hogfather (Terry Pratchett)

Arr! There be a pirate in the making!

#25 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:07 AM

Maybe It could only effect armor

That would be better, I think. It would still be a powerful effect when it works (in BG1, particularly), but it wouldn't be an instant "suckify" button. Also, it makes a lot more sense that the wearer would be able to touch the enemy's armour, as opposed to their weapon.

If it seems to be overly powerful due to NPCs going haywire with loss of weapon, maybe it could be evened out by adding a %-chance (say... 50%) of the attack working.

A roll to hit seems more fitting, imo.

#26 Slyde

Slyde
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:45 AM

When you think of it, trying to grab some guy's weapon in combat, wearing only a damaged rusty glove . . . It would go like this.

Char- Feel my awesome power of rust
Bad guy - *swing*
Char - *Reaches out for weapon*
Bad Guy - *continues swing*
Char - Argh, feel my awesome lack of fingers! CLERIC!

Armor (including shields right?) would fix the balance problem, I would put it in BGTutu*, as (I think) everyone of us suggested at one point :blink: (*as well as normal bg2).

Also a moving container was suggested to me by the person who suggest the gloves. It would just float there holding stuff, and following the player around as he moved. (PCM?) Also, it should be shiny like chrome, just . . . cause

Now I have got someone to make my crafting mod, now all I need is someone to make my mirror and rusty glove, while I work on Aes (stupid animations :(). And then, in a tiaxian (yes, its a word . . . now) move I combine them all for an uber-mod :devil:

EDIT: And another in my random-mod-ideas-that-will-probably-never-be-made (RMITWPNBM is Patent Pending). I put it here rather than making ANOTHER topic,

Just some quick desc. text, sounds okay, it just follows that basic story, huy makes thing, guy uses thing, guy gets killed by someone that uses thing's ability against guy.

The Rod of Dead Magic - This Rod is used to manipulate the Weave (thanks wiki for making it more D&D-y) to temporarily create dead magic zones, or an area where magic in general fails to operate. Created by the elven fighter-mage, Tebryn Aleanrahel of Faneadar (good name? Any others?), as a last resort when combating other mages. When his magic failed to disable his enemy, the use of this rod would enable him to use his melee abilities while his enemy's magical abilities fail him, even at the expense of his own. Tebryn was finally defeated when he challenged a human mage known as Valas, and a better warrior than he. This Rod turns the surrounding area into a dead magic zone for a length of (? needs to be REALLY short). While the duration of the ability is short those vital seconds allow a cunning warrior to gain an upper hand.

This came about because I thought the dead magic zones it TOB where never used enough, for such a cool effect.Might be possible

EDIT EDIT: Use of a search engine turns out dead magic is effectively this spell

Edited by Slyde, 17 January 2009 - 09:07 PM.

RUSTMONSTERS FTW

MODS IN PROGRESS
MODS IN PLANNING