Photo

Crafter Kit

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Lykainon

Lykainon

Extraordinary in a way your puny mortal brain cannot grasp.

• 198 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:45 PM

You're absolutely right. The thing is, I don't know if I feel like spending a lot of time planning and coding just so every PC on the block can smash two armors together into a better one. Also, I don't know if such a mod would prove very popular with players since it wouldn't really add that much. Possibly it could be nice in BGT/BG1 since something like a non-magical full plate of armor is pretty valuable there.

It's true that playing a crafter probably would be a pretty different experience then playing something like a mage or a fighter. But really, would it be that much less versitile? Until HLA's come around being a fighter is pretty much going around and hitting people hard (yeah, I'm not a very big fan of fighters, can you tell? ;)). Also, the way I see it a crafter wouldn't "make a few items now and again". While the really good items probably would be pretty far between, crafters will probably create the smaller stuff like various potions, useful gadgets (like lockpicks) and expandable weapons (maybe something like a pseudo-grenade?) pretty much daily.

Edited by Lykainon, 13 January 2009 - 03:45 PM.

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape."

- Death, Hogfather (Terry Pratchett)

Arr! There be a pirate in the making!

#22 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:13 PM

As far as it goes, I just don't see a specific kit if it cannot do much else apart from sit and make things, and things you wouldn't think twice about spending some of the mountain of gold you inevitably have by the time you get the chance to make anything useful.

Basically, what you suggested for the kit was a fighter that couldn't hit things. At least to me, that severely stops your PC doing anything apart from a few rounds each day.

What we could do with this, is revolutionize inventory management. I know nobody likes it, but that is because it is simply boring.

Also, we have the question, which class will the crafter kit fit into? I can't see it fitting into a mage class, nor anything with anything but the normal fighter type thing.

Though, as a compromise, you could have a Priest of Gond kit, which could make a certain amount of sense.

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#23 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:24 PM

Basically, what you suggested for the kit was a fighter that couldn't hit things. At least to me, that severely stops your PC doing anything apart from a few rounds each day.

Well, no, not really. While the actual crafting probably wouldn't take more then a few rounds each day (depending on how much time crafting will end up taking) the crafter would still have stuff to do. First of all, he would be the only one who could use a lot of his items (by the same logic that Jan is the only one who can use his gadgets). Second, he (or, well, the player) would have control over one or more pseudo-familiars (if he so choose) and thus could partake in fighting by proxy.

Also, we have the question, which class will the crafter kit fit into? I can't see it fitting into a mage class, nor anything with anything but the normal fighter type thing.

See my original post in this thread for a fairly in-depth explanation on my thoughts on that matter.

Though, as a compromise, you could have a Priest of Gond kit, which could make a certain amount of sense.

Interesting idea. I'll look into it but I don't think it fits with some of the stuff I have in mind.
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape."

#24 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:30 PM

Your Crafter-Only-Items idea won't work.

Unlike in PS:T, you don't get usability flags tied to characters, only to stats and classes, so everything Jan can use is usable by a Gnome Ill/T of the same stats. Making that for a PC is impossible.

Icen

#25 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:41 PM

Your Crafter-Only-Items idea won't work.

Unlike in PS:T, you don't get usability flags tied to characters, only to stats and classes, so everything Jan can use is usable by a Gnome Ill/T of the same stats. Making that for a PC is impossible.

I've actually put some thoughts into this one and I think I have a solution (although admittedly I haven't tried it out). I plan on giving crafters the Use-Any-Item ability pretty early (perhaps even at level one) since it first of all fits with the character (someone who spends his time making magical items should be able to figure out how to use most of them) and secondly it could help balance what might be a fairly underpowered kit.

With this in mind, crafter-only-items could have their usability flags set to... say, gnomish druids or elven paladins. Since such combos aren't possible (in a vanilla game at least) they would only be usable to those with UAI. Granted, this means that high-level thieves and bards will be able to use them as well but that too makes sort of sense and by that time it'll matter less.

#26 Slyde

Slyde
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:36 PM

1) Yes my original Idea was for a kit item, but he wanted a Class Kit, and since he'd be making it I didn't object. I prefer the Kit Item idea.

2) Just thinking about some items to actually make. Are these the basic categories?
Familiars - Golems, chain creatures etc
Alchemy - Potions
Mage - Scrolls
Basic Items - Plate mail etc.
Magic Item - Basic Enchanted items eg. Ring of Protection +1, Longsword +2
Artifact - Using more components as a base similar to the dwarf and imp, you create more powerful (and unique?Add some items into the game?) items.
Thief - Lock picks . . . . ?

(by classes in 2) i don't mean restricted to that class, just as an idea of the types)

3) If you think about it, UAI would help balance the Class better as when you get a high level thief (with BS) and a few powerful magic items it essentially turns him into a better tank than most fighters

4) Lastly I think that the charname-only idea isn't as good as you'd think. The reason Jan is the only one who can use his . . . bow (?) is it's so incredibly complex. This would only apply to items of similar complexity (such as? There needs to be a reason here) and would limit any crafter-kit-user's contribution to the party.

Thats it besides, I Can't wait until this is out

Edited by Slyde, 13 January 2009 - 06:38 PM.

RUSTMONSTERS FTW

MODS IN PROGRESS
The Red Knight - A Quest and NPC mod, with emphasis on the first.
Sshamath - An Item Merchant mod using all the Ideas un-usable by the mod above.
MODS IN PLANNING
A Wizards Tomb - Our excuse to explore the games limitations . . . oh, and a quest!

#27 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:01 PM

4) Lastly I think that the charname-only idea isn't as good as you'd think. The reason Jan is the only one who can use his . . . bow (?) is it's so incredibly complex. This would only apply to items of similar complexity (such as? There needs to be a reason here) and would limit any crafter-kit-user's contribution to the party.

The way I figure out, "low-level items" (alchemy, mage, basic & some magic items) would be usable by pretty much anyone. Artifact-level items (that would require at least some basic know-how on how to handle them) would be crafter (and anyone with HLA) only. In addition there are familiars who doesn't get specifically controlled by the crafter but can't stay in the party without him (they require maintainance or whatever).

And yeah, that UAI would help balance the class was what I said (wasn't it? :blink: ). I first thought about it when I realized that I wanted crafters to be able to wear some pretty heavy armor and bard-kits can't do that.

#28 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:46 PM

It is impossible to tie an item to a PC, because it relies on class flag and stats, and since we can't add more flags, it has to be on stats, and unless we have abnormally high requirements, it is impossible to make something "crafter only".

Like I said, a Gnome Ill/T with all of Jan's stats can use any of his items.

Icen

#29 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:14 AM

It is impossible to tie an item to a PC, because it relies on class flag and stats, and since we can't add more flags, it has to be on stats, and unless we have abnormally high requirements, it is impossible to make something "crafter only".

Uhm, not to sound rude or anything but did you even read my reply to your last post? While it is impossible to make something crafter-exclusive it is possible to make something downright unusable (by setting usability flags to gnome and druid for example) and give the crafter UAI early in his development.

#30 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:51 AM

Sorry if that is what you meant, it wasn't what I interpreted.

Icen