3e/4e style stat bonuses?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jarin Hawkeye

Jarin Hawkeye

Wanderer

• 37 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

I would really like to see 3e/4e D&D style stat bonuses in the IE games, and especially in PS:T. Since the bonusses / penalties would be gained much more gradually, having a bit of diversity in the stats of the TNO may actually be worthwile, instead of capitalizing on just 2 or 3 stats.

#2 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:02 PM

Have you played Icewind Dale 2? It uses the IE and 3E rules.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#3 Jarin Hawkeye

Jarin Hawkeye

Wanderer

• 37 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:08 AM

I have, it is just that I like to see that in PS:T. Hence the request.

#4 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:21 PM

There won't be any porting of PS:T to the IWD2 engine, I'm afraid. At least not by me. Among other reasons, I suspect that if it were doable in any sort of sane timeframe, it'd have been done for BG1/BG2 by now.

Besides. TNO's bonus stats aren't accurate to 2nd ed. rules either. You seem to be suggesting that, if we -did- port it to 3rd ed., then he should gain stat points the way any other character does. I don't think that was the intent. TNO does gain stat points faster than anyone else for a good reason.

I'd actually be more interested in seeing something like that done for BG2. BG2 takes greater care to adhere to the 2nd ed. rules, so a port would be more "clean", I think, whereas PS:T seems to take them more as advisory, heh.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 24 January 2009 - 11:33 PM.

#5 Thagdarf

Thagdarf
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:28 PM

Old thread, I am aware. But I can answer this one! :)

To original poster: If you use an editor like Near Infinity you can open up PST folder, look into the 2DA folder and extract the 7 files for stats:

chamod.2da
dexmod.2da
hpconbon.2da
intmod.2da
strmod.2da
strmodex.2da
wisxpbon.2da

And extract them, put them in your override folder, and edit them with notepad or wordpad. They are straight forward text files, just change the values.

Some of them can be difficult, like Charisma, Wisdom and Intelligence not really having anything similar to the 3E stats and bonuses to give. Also for the extended strength mod, just set every bonus to +0, and it is efficientlly gonne.

For the rest, he only wanted to have the stats themselves follow the tables from the 3E/4E books, nothing else. It is something I've played with myself for years now, as I can't stand how the 2E stats never really give you any difference for stats between wide ranges such as 7-14 and such. the 3E setup gives you a bonus for every second stat upgrade. Meaning that even a strength of 12 is useful, and strength 19 isn't such a game-breaker.

Done Necromancing now...
"Sigil ain't New Hampshire." -Qwinn