Photo

Bigger fonts for BGII:TOB and other IE games

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Corvias

Corvias
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:13 PM

UPDATE 2/28/2012 - This mod will probably not be updated due to personal time constraints, and a loss of the support files I used to create this mod. All is not lost though! See this post with very rough instructions on how to create your own fonts for Infinity Engine games! Also, check out GemRB which has a plugin that allows you to use any truetype font for the game.

This mod adds a larger game font, tooltip font, and floaty font to BGII, TOB, or probably any other infinity engine game. This is technically version 2.0 of this mod, but the first one was released in a thread I started asking for help. Anyone who used my previous font should note that these are much nicer! If the only thing keeping you from using a high resolution with BGII (or any IE game) is the microscopic text, or if you have bad eyesight, then this mod is for you! Please enjoy, and post any problems/questions here. Check out the readme for more info.

Here is a screen of the new fonts in action at 800x600 res

UPDATE: Version 2.1 released. Raised the vertical alignment of all chars in floattxt.bam by 3 pixels in an attempt to get the text
to not cover avatars. Unfortunatly, beyond 3px the top line of float text starts to get chopped, otherwise I would have raised it more. Posted Image

fontscreen.jpg

Attached File  FontMod_v2.1.zip   31.03K   48255 downloads

Edited by Corvias, 28 February 2012 - 07:17 AM.

#2 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:04 AM

Oo, is this our first "miscellaneous released mod" of 2009?

Looks good, I'm sure it'll be useful to plenty of people.

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:41 AM

Hmm, is there a way to raise the text that is over the character... just so it wouldn't cover him?

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 Corvias

Corvias
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:57 AM

Hmm, is there a way to raise the text that is over the character... just so it wouldn't cover him?

Perhaps. Maybe if I shift the vertical alignment of the chars up several pixels. Does the original float text ever cover the avatar? I wand to re-do that font anyway with proper shadowing -- like the original.

EDIT: Looks like the original BG2 float font covers the character a bit too when there is a lot of text to be displayed (like in the scenario in my screenshot). It looks like I can shift the characters up 6-8 pixels. I'll do that and release it a little later.

EDIT #2: Well, I was only able to adjust the floatfont up 3 pixels. Any higher and it starts to cut off the top line. See original post for the new version.

Edited by Corvias, 25 January 2009 - 05:41 PM.

#5 zkreso

zkreso
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:26 AM

I signed up just to say thanks for this excellent mod. This should be bundled with the widescreen mod if you ask me.

#6 -Jon-

-Jon-

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

I signed up just to say thanks for this excellent mod. This should be bundled with the widescreen mod if you ask me.

I second that! Great mod, my eyes thank you.

#7 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

On initial inspection it works in IWD+HOW+TOTLM. However, there is no floattxt.bam so that file doesn't need to be included on the IWD+HOW+TOTLM games.

One thing I did notice was that not ALL text was adjusted. And the text that was adjusted was too large in some places. Perhaps if I could use a larger screen resolution it would be less of an issue but 1240x768 is the best I can do. Maybe you could do an additional version that is sized between the normal and what you've got now.

I don't know what the standard font size is but to give a ratio... If the standard were 10pt, I'd want to increase it to 14pt but not to 18pt or 20pt which is what it appears to be in your mod.

Other than that, it's a great little mod and I'm sure it'll get a lot of good use...

My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altheri...s.com/index.htm

#8 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

One thing I did notice was that not ALL text was adjusted. And the text that was adjusted was too large in some places. Perhaps if I could use a larger screen resolution it would be less of an issue but 1240x768 is the best I can do.

Why would you want to do that?

Just curious, but I really don't understand why people play at these high resolutions (unless they have huge screens!). I have this image in my mind of people having to go through their inventory with a magnifying glass. :rolleyes:

崇高滑稽
·

#9 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:50 AM

Yay ^^ no more glasses -this mod will be really helpful =D

#10 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:30 PM

One thing I did notice was that not ALL text was adjusted. And the text that was adjusted was too large in some places. Perhaps if I could use a larger screen resolution it would be less of an issue but 1240x768 is the best I can do.

Why would you want to do that?

Just curious, but I really don't understand why people play at these high resolutions (unless they have huge screens!). I have this image in my mind of people having to go through their inventory with a magnifying glass. :rolleyes:

I use the wide screen mod to
1. keep from having to adjust my monitor/tv settings every time I want to play an IE game.
2. allow myself a larger viewing area when on the main game screen. I like to see the enemies when I'm fighting them.

No I don't need to use a magnifying glass to look at my inventory. I don't even really need to use this large text mod (it's too big for my resolution), but I would if the text was only slightly larger than normal. I tried it out to see if it would work in IWD+HOW+TOTLM since the OP stated that he wasn't sure but thought that it would work in other IE games.

My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altheri...s.com/index.htm

#11 -SCO-

-SCO-

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:51 PM

Could you add this to the tweak pack? I think that is the natural place for it instead of the high-resolution mod.

Of course i think the high resolution mod should be in the tweak pack too-

#12 Corvias

Corvias
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:10 AM

@Erphine: The original impetus for this mod was the fact that the original font is a PITA to read - even at "classic" resolutions - for folks with crummy sight (me) to read. This need becomes especially dire when the same foolish person wanted to play BGII at the nice crisp 1680x1050 native resolution of his new monitor. (facilitated by the widescreen mod). Any larger of a resolution, though, and then I think you enter magnifying glass territory. (I'm a HUGE fan of your work BTW. Thanks for noticing my little corner of the forum)

@Sasha: I do plan to make another smaller size at some point. I'm done with grad school for a few months, so I have some spare time on my hands.

@Everyone else: Thanks for your kind words! I am truly happy that you find this useful.

Edited by Corvias, 02 May 2009 - 08:11 AM.

#13 Gaias

Gaias
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:36 PM

Thought I would pop in her and give my thanks for making this mod. Had an itch to play it again when I heard about the BiG World mod that makes the mega modifications easier to install.

#14 WDeranged

WDeranged
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

Thumbs up for this mod, I hope Corvias finds the time to keep working on it :new_thumbs:

#15 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:41 PM

Thank you, Corvias. The fonts made it possible for me to use the widescreen mod with my 26" monitor and not have to put my face ten inches from the screen to read the text.

#16 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

This is just the thing I was looking for. Now I can finally convert my boyfriend into a disciple of the Baldur's Gate saga without him having to strain his eyes too much (he already wears glasses stronger than mine).

- :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#17 -McCoy-

-McCoy-

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:20 AM

I tried this mod with Baldur's Gate 1 + Tales of the Sword Coast with the latest patch + Baldurdash's Baldur's Gate I/Tales Of The Sword Coast Bugfixes + widescreen mod and I get this error:

"An assertion failed in D:\Dev\chitin\ChVidImage.cpp at line number 1152".

And the game doesn't work. If I delete the files of the big fonts then it works.

Am I doing something wrong? Can it be fixed? I would really like to play with these bigger fonts, the original fonts are really on my limit for 1680x1050...

Thanks!

#18 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

I know there hasn't been anything new posted here in awhile, but I was curious if a version of this with a slightly smaller font was ever completed. I really like being able to use this on my current play through, but the text is a bit TOO big, particularly on the stats or when I am trying to buy and sell. Any word on a FontMod that is smaller?

#19 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:46 PM

I know there hasn't been anything new posted here in awhile, but I was curious if a version of this with a slightly smaller font was ever completed. I really like being able to use this on my current play through, but the text is a bit TOO big, particularly on the stats or when I am trying to buy and sell. Any word on a FontMod that is smaller?

I'm interested in a slightly smaller text font, too. As it is with FM 2.1, the text is easily readable, but sometimes the left and right parts get cut off, as the text would be too long to fit in (for example) a tool tip space. Good to have larger text for most things at higher resolutions than 800x600, but I tried 1600x1200 (native setting for my display), and everything looked too jagged, plus some of the game's GUI elements looked too big (for example, character portraits along the right side of the screen). But, I digress.

Please let us know if there's been any thought/work on a smaller version of the font.

Thanks,
Eric

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#20 pewbeng

pewbeng
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:00 PM

Just started another playthrough and I love how the Tortured Souls fonts look - they're just too small after using the fonts offered in this thread. Some middle ground in terms of size between the TS fonts and those here would be amazing.

How would one go about modifying the size? Is it as simple as throwing the normal.bam into a program and putting it at 140%? Because that's about as far as my knowledge will likely get me.