Regarding Constitution and Hit Points

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:15 AM

...they don't work the way you probably thought they did.

For example, you probably thought that, per 2nd edition D&D rules, a mage TNO with 18 CON only get +2 HP/level. This is incorrect. Lending further credence to the idea that TNO was supposed to gain hit points as a fighter regardless of what class he actually favors, this is how constitution actually works in the vanilla game for TNO. A mage or thief TNO with 18 CON gets +4 hp/level, and a mage TNO with 25 CON gets +7 HP/level, as only fighters in 2nd edition normally get to. I have no intention of changing this - I believe that is as intended.

Also, all NPC's (not just TNO) continue to gain their full constitution bonus every single level throughout their career, even after they stop gaining full hit dice. This contradicts 2nd edition rules, which state that characters should only gain a constitution bonus when they gain a full hit die (up to 9th level for fighters/clerics, 10th level for mages/thieves). I believe this is a bug inherited from the BG1 engine, since the max level in BG1 was too low for it to actually be an issue. In Fixpack 4.0, as per 2nd edition rules, TNO and all joinable NPC's will stop gaining a constitution bonus to HP after they stop gaining full hit dice. (This was -seriously- imbalancing in the endgame, all party NPC's with a decent CON wound up having a tremendous amount more hit points than almost all other creature in game).

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 30 January 2009 - 09:25 AM.