Photo

Icewind Dale Multiplayer/LAN

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bardez

Bardez
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

I have spent the last 3 hours on Google, trying to find a way to get Icewind Dale to work for a multiplayer TCP/IP connection game.

The BioWare forums suggest for BG that 192.168.*.* IP addresses do not work, so I have tried Hamachi, but it is also a no-go.

Has anyone here gotten a LAN TCP/IP game for IWD going? Can they describe a step-by-step process to not make this less painful than pulling teeth?
Virtues:
I am an HONEST man, SACRIFICING of myself for betterment of others. I HUMBLY accept my tasks delt by SPIRITUALITY, and HONOR my word given unto others. JUSTICE will guide my work and my wrath, since VALOR doth guide me.
-So Sayeth Bardez, the Chaotic Neutral writer and COMPASSIONATE Avatar

#2 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:48 AM

First question, as always: Did you patch?

Second: At which stage do you have trouble?

Are you sure you have the right IP address?

I know my parents played IWD together about 5 years ago, and they used 192.168.*.* IPs. Odd that you can't seem to...
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#3 Bardez

Bardez
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:23 AM

First question, as always: Did you patch?

Second: At which stage do you have trouble?

Are you sure you have the right IP address?

Yes, I've installed the latest patch (Trials of the Luremaster). I've disabled the firewall on all machines. I'm very sure I've got the right IP Address(es).

The point at which it is not working is the connection: I enter the IP Address and press connect to session and receive the "Please wait" notification and it eventually times out to a "cannot connect" message box. I don't believe that my router is blocking ports internally over the network, but I don't know for sure. There is always the possibility that it is a Vista networking issue.
Virtues:
I am an HONEST man, SACRIFICING of myself for betterment of others. I HUMBLY accept my tasks delt by SPIRITUALITY, and HONOR my word given unto others. JUSTICE will guide my work and my wrath, since VALOR doth guide me.
-So Sayeth Bardez, the Chaotic Neutral writer and COMPASSIONATE Avatar

#4 Konalan

Konalan

Jamie wants big BOOM!

• 91 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:00 AM

I did manage to get a network game running once. In my case I had my laptop (Vista) connected to my desktop (XP) via a crossover cable. I took note of my IP addresses which were 192.168.*.* IIRC. I then started a TCP/IP multiplayer game on my laptop. On the desktop, I clicked join game and entered the IP address of my laptop and it worked.
A compilation of my BG2 mods:
Konalan's Tweaks

#5 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:07 AM

Play in Windowed mode. Vista sucks.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.