Persistent Worlds

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:12 AM

I was just wandering if anyone here has ever played in a persistent world? I've never really considered playing in one before now - I've only ever played PC games single player - and I've preferred it that way. But doing some research, these persistent worlds do seem interesting, especially when I have so long to wait before any game I want comes out. I didn't even know what these things were until about two hours ago.

So now I'm thinking: is it worth my time? Should I at least try it out?

The one I was considering was the Baldur's Gate setting. Because, you know, nostalgia and all that. :D Thoughts?

Edited by Crazee, 20 February 2009 - 09:13 AM.

#2 Michael

Michael

NullCascade

• 116 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:07 PM

I've played a few NWN2 persistent worlds before. In fact, I was on one just last night!

The RolePlay tab has quite a few - and if you sort them by users you can generally find the best ones at the top. As I recall the Baldur's Gate one is one of them - 3rd or 4th when I last checked. Other tabs have various games that may be of of interest, such as the Social tab. Though, beware that most of them are just a center for adult content, and the top-most one you should avoid like the plague.

http://forgottenrealm.ca/
Was the top-most one when I was playing last night. Seems like a good-enough server, with good enough DMs. Didn't stick around long (was lagging very badly), so didn't get a strong feel for it, though.

http://dragoncoast.org
Another good one, it looks like. I'll probably be trying this one next time I jump into NWN2.

All in all, I say try it out. Go on - it's very much like an MMO (guessing - never actually PLAYED an MMO for more than a month, and only once that long), only on a more personal basis (dozens of players instead of billions), and no annoying monthly fee.

Edited by Michael, 20 February 2009 - 12:08 PM.

This is the Internet, where men are men, women are men, and children are the FBI.

What is IEMI?

Please provide feedback on IEMI.