Shepard's dead?!!?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 SaintZenn

SaintZenn

Best game ever

• 419 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

Okay, so apparently there's a trailer for Mass Effect 2. Mass Effect 2 Apparently, Shepard is going to be killed in action. I'm hoping this is just a hook to draw people in, because I'm going to be pissed if my Ivanna Shepard is dead. Makes me wonder what about Kaiden!? My Kaiden!
My Deviantart account

Mme. Thenardier:
I used to dream that I would meet a prince
But God Almighty, have you seen what's happened since?
Master of the house? Isn't worth me spit!
`Comforter, philosopher' and lifelong sh*t!
Cunning little brain, regular Voltaire
Thinks he's quite a lover but there's not much there
What a cruel trick of nature landed me with such a louse
God knows how I've lasted living with this bastard in the house!

#2 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:38 PM

Looks pretty authentic... wow, that's pretty crazy. Yep, you can see the original on the Mass Effect website here.

Awesome.

#3 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:01 PM

Wow, great to see some ME2 trailers. And an awesome one on top of that.

If you stop and think about it, it only makes sense to get a new protagonist for ME2. It'd be difficult to conceivably pull off a level 50-60 Shepard fighting low-level enemies, just like it was difficult to create difficult monsters for the Bhaalspawn to kill in ToB.

Looking forward to the next game lots. I loved the first game.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#4 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

It'll either be a new protagonist, or Shepard has gone undercover so as to better to his/her work.

Personally I'm a bit tired of the whole "the protagonist is dead--wait! Wait, no, there he is!" I think we got enough of that from
Spoiler

#5 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:03 AM

Shepard ain't dead. Shepard's just in a Cerberus lab somewhere, being experimented on and losing his memory. ^^

#6 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:15 AM

Shepard ain't dead. Shepard's just in a Cerberus lab somewhere, being experimented on and losing his memory. ^^

Hmmm...am I the only one who got reminded of the start of Baldur's Gate 2 by that...

...though really I also hope Shepard is just in a lab somewhere. Keck, it says Cerberus all over it! She can't be dead!

- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#7 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:06 AM

Hmmm...am I the only one who got reminded of the start of Baldur's Gate 2 by that...

Mot at all, not at all. .p

#8 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:21 AM

I'm counting on either Shepard having to regain their memory or the protagonist is another Alliance person looking for Shepard.

Then again, the developers are telling people not to delete their saved games...
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#9 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:21 PM

They probably told us not to delete save games because of the ending of the first game. Depending on whether you are paragon or renegade, you make important decisions at the very end that I imagine will have huge consequences for what happens after the game. I don't think it has much, if anything, to do with Shepard.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#10 Dark-Mage

Dark-Mage

Because killing is an art, and I am a master.

• 344 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:03 PM

They probably told us not to delete save games because of the ending of the first game. Depending on whether you are paragon or renegade, you make important decisions at the very end that I imagine will have huge consequences for what happens after the game. I don't think it has much, if anything, to do with Shepard.

Surely they are just going to pick a 'canon' path though, and write the story from that point of view, rather than writing two seperate stories based on your actions in the first game. So I can't see how our saved games will be used in that fashion.

#11 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:06 PM

Mmmmmmm...
I dunno. Seems like too much of a downer to just kill Sheppy while you aren't looking and tell you to keep the save games just for you to experience the enormous wake of shit and silly side-questing it sends at junior spectres or whatevers.
Also I think the big decisions could easy enough be repeated through some sorta questionnaire ála previous character generation; I don't think there's much value in keeping save-games around if not so that the character build (and not just the decisions) will have some influence on the game.

So, I think we'll be seeing something of Sheppy.
Sure enough, memory loss and the sort is overused and in the least I think they'll put a spin on it, but eh... Just saying that 'Sorry, we killed your pet, start from scratch now, slave', seems a bit... :/

Well, ok so there are some possibilities for keeping even minor details relevant while still offing Sheps, but anything I can come up with seems about as reasonable as imprisonment and memory loss.
And people who try to make money with stories have been known to be wary of downers...

Yeah, I think it's just a poke at the fans, they're just trying to get people fussing about it.

#12 Dark-Mage

Dark-Mage

• 344 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

Suppose there is always the chance that the Geth(?) simply have it wrong on their databanks? They believe Shephard was K.I.A, but he survived the attack?

#13 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the sequel wasn't from Shep's point of view.

The real issue would be with Kaidan and Ashley if it was... they'd basically have to make two versions of the game depending on who you bailed out down on Virmire in the first one.

Thus making it much easier to just start from a new perspective. Shep will almost certainly play some role though - either protagonist, supporting character or plot device (died doing something the new character has to investigate? etc).

Edited by Colonel Aureliano Buendia, 26 February 2009 - 04:19 PM.

#14 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:27 PM

Sure enough, memory loss and the sort is overused

Perhaps but it's still a money maker.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#15 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:00 AM

My point exactly. It's preferrable because it'll let them avoid hurting the fans' feelings as well as entirely skip the problematics that'd come with super-Shepard.

#16 Zander

Zander
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

Could be BG II all over again...Import your super level 20 Ranger with heroic stats and watch him come out a nerfed level 6. They also solvedthe problem of which character you could continue quite neatly........

Makes no odds - I'll still buy it

#17 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:07 PM

My point exactly. It's preferrable because it'll let them avoid hurting the fans' feelings as well as entirely skip the problematics that'd come with super-Shepard.

Reading "Super-Shepard" just brought back memories of the song my sisters sung (and maybe even came up with themselves? I think so...) when I was small: "Super Clowns".

Let me translate..."Super Clowns! Flying through space saving the Earth, they are the stars! Super Clowns! Flying through space making jokes, they may do that!".

...sorry, my brain is being normal (normal for my brain=weird for a 08/15* human) right now, so it comes up with weird associations...

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

*One phrase I wish existed in English. "08/15" means "average, every day, standard" (often in a not so positive sense, though not always, as in this case), or in some cases "outdated material", and refers to the MG 08/15 which was the first weapon used in the entire German military, during the first world war - before that each area was responsible for outfitting their groups of soldiers themselves, which made exchanging replacement parts rather difficult. By the 2 World War they were still used, but the technology was outdated already. Hence the second meaning. For some reason this is one everyday phrase derived from the wars that I kind of like.)

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#18 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:58 PM

I'm hoping the thing with not deleting old saves means that our choices in ME1 will actually matter, and not just the big ones near the end-I'm hoping this means Wrex could be alive or dead in the sequels depending on how ME1 went, for example.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#19 Dark-Mage

Dark-Mage

• 344 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:19 AM

But wouldn't making every single choice, no matter how small, matter in terms of effecting the story of the sequel just result in a crap load of additional work for the game programmers etc? Okies, the small ones not so much, but the big ones like whether or not the human fleet came to the rescue at the end is going to seriously affect the state of the game world.

Personally, I hope that they just pick a 'canon' series of events, preferably the paragon path, and stick to that. Maybe using old saves for minor details like who Shephard was (in terms of gender, history and class) and some of the other less important events.

#20 -ParagonSpectre-

-ParagonSpectre-

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:20 AM

If BioWare handles the storyline for the Mass Effect trilogy similar to what they've done in the past with other games like Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 they will probally choose a cannon ending for the game and fill in the blanks. If you recall in KOTOR 2 the Republic wasn't crushed and the Sith and Revan didn't rule the universe....no matter how many times we tried to make it so..... :devil: