About translating some tutorials.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 phoeunix

phoeunix
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:00 AM

Hi, everybody !

First of all, I'd like to say that I'm impressed by the interest of the anglosaxon community with the IE modding, and I'm also impressed by the numerous tutorials that are referenced here and on other forums.

I'm an admin from the "Légendes" French community, specialized in IE modding, and I'd like to have the possibility to translate some of this material to make it available for the French modders that are not comfortable enough with English to work with the English tutorials.

I assume that you have some copyright on the content referenced on your forums, and I'd like to know from where I have to get the authorization to translate them : from the administration of the forums, from the writers of the tutorials ?

Thanks a lot for reading this message and for your future answers. ;)

#2 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:17 PM

Hi, everybody !

First of all, I'd like to say that I'm impressed by the interest of the anglosaxon community with the IE modding, and I'm also impressed by the numerous tutorials that are referenced here and on other forums.

I'm an admin from the "Légendes" French community, specialized in IE modding, and I'd like to have the possibility to translate some of this material to make it available for the French modders that are not comfortable enough with English to work with the English tutorials.

I assume that you have some copyright on the content referenced on your forums, and I'd like to know from where I have to get the authorization to translate them : from the administration of the forums, from the writers of the tutorials ?

Thanks a lot for reading this message and for your future answers. ;)

My understanding was that SHS merely has hosting rights and all copyrights reside with the authors, so you should ask them directly.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#3 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:31 PM

Generally you'll be all right if you post the links to your translations in the original threads and link to the originals in your translations.

(Man, what am I doing at SHS forums at 2.30 in the morning?)

#4 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

Contacting the individual authors is the best way to go; if you can't get permission, I'm sure it would be fine anyway--just make sure you mention that you'll take the translations down if the original author reappears and asks for them to be taken down.

You have my permission to translate any of my existing or future tutorials--just make sure to link back to the source, and link to the translation in the original topic. :)

#5 phoeunix

phoeunix
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for the answers and thanks a lot for your authorization, K'aeloree. ;)

I've just translated your tuto on CD_STATE_NOTVALID.

Well, I guess I'll have start sending some more pm then.

Edited by phoeunix, 01 March 2009 - 08:57 AM.

#6 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:50 PM

Well, I guess I'll have start sending some more pm then.

You needn't PM me: as long as you say it's a tutorial by Kulyok and link to the original thread(and also post in the original thread with a link for French users), it's really all right.

(I'd rather you linked to the originals here on PPG, because I don't visit SHS every day, but no matter - it's your choice).

#7 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:20 AM

Feel free to translate any of my tutorials as well, as long as credit is given and it contains a link to the original thread here on SHS. :)

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#8 phoeunix

phoeunix
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:48 AM

Thank you, SConrad and Kulyok, that's very nice of you.

I'll keep your recommandation in mind about the links to PPG.