Photo

Was Irenicus aware of the dreams you were having?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 maidros

maidros
  • Modder
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 05:56 PM

Hmm, I think I liked Quitch's approach to Imoen's mod well enough to try starting my own thread on the topic I am planning to adress in the new Redemption mod. Regardless of what I think - I solicit your opinion. Was Irenicus actively 'channeling' your dreams or was it all in your imagination only? Also, if you think he did not know about the dreams - how come they were aimed to lure you into Spellhold and 'awaken' your essense?

My own idea is that Irenicus was not involved in those dreams. It was the PC's mind giving the Bhaal taint the face of Irenicus. It may also be the after effect of the imprisonment of Irenicus, with the Bhaal taint coercing the PC to take the evil path utilising the 'information' provided by Irenicus to the PC. But there is one objection to the dreams being initiated by the Bhaal essence. Whenever you made a choice in BG, there were some ramifications (you got a power, either 'good' or 'evil'. But there is no such thing in BG2. So it can be argued both ways. It is just interpretation, I suppose

Wealth I seek not hope nor love,
Nor a friend to know me,
All I ask the heaven above
And my work before me.

#22 Jinnai

Jinnai

Bye Sanzo! You'll play with me again next time?

• 377 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 06:37 PM

I think the dreams were part of Bhaal taint in you...a way of testing each indivisual to the extremes to get the best because, to quote from Highlander, "In the end, there can be only one..." Ie there can be only one of his descendants to take his place and he puts them up against each other as a way to temper and weene out them.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 07 August 2003 - 06:50 PM

There is a point... when you have awoken from the soul-removal and you have defeated the Bhaal thing in the ghost Candekeep, a point when you can tell Irenicus 'Ha! I defeated your creature!' or whatever.

Jon, at that point, appears to take no notice, dismissing any visions you had as some weird adverse reaction to what happened and stressing that his experiment was a complete success. Given that your vision of battling Bhaal is very strongly like the dreams, I would think the dreams are more of a symbolic vision of your inner self.

Another (and I think very weak) hypothesis is that PC by BG2 develops a minor ability for prophetic/telepathic dreams on his/her own as a result of acknowledging the essence. Thus when s/he is interested the most in finding out about Imoen, and Imoen is unavailable for the contact for the reason of missing a soul PC connects to the person who stands next to her (argument against - why not Bodhi? - maybe because PC searches for Spellhold?) ie to Irenicus. Then the initiative comes from PCs side and Irenicus might not know that they were interacting in a dream. The ability gets destroyed with PC's soul removal... :(

#24 Sphira

Sphira

mod muse

• 427 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 07:16 PM

I think it?s repressed memories from what happened during your time with Irenicus and your taint talking. I would agree with the Bhaal telling you this if they didn?t have Bhaal manifest with the dream with Imoen at spell hold. I go with the theory that Irenicus wanted you to accept the taint to make his job of removing your soul a bit easier for him. You have less will power to resist.
Kaoemeth -=Just Another Evil Romance.=-

Little Mindflayers come from drunken storks.

#25 Jinnai

Jinnai

• 377 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 08:49 PM

I think it?s repressed memories from what happened during your time with Irenicus and your taint talking. I would agree with the Bhaal telling you this if they didn?t have Bhaal manifest with the dream with Imoen at spell hold.  I go with the theory that Irenicus wanted you to accept the taint to make his job of removing your soul a bit easier for him. You have less will power to resist.

The amount of energy expended to lower your will to resist by controlling your subconscious through dreams vs. a more powerful spell seems hardly worth it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 08:55 PM

Hmm, I think Sphira meant that he did not actually control the dreams - the dreams were your own creation, but they were more vivid because your resistanse to Bhaal's taint was lowered.

Logical enough? I am still interested if you guys think Irenicus could have been 'aware' of the dreams, even if he did not directly 'induce' them.

/OOPS - I seem to edit Jinnai's post at first by mistake instead of simply replying - sorry/

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#27 Sphira

Sphira

mod muse

• 427 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 09:16 PM

Yeah. What Dorotea said. ^^; My head's a bit fuzzy tonight.
Kaoemeth -=Just Another Evil Romance.=-

Little Mindflayers come from drunken storks.

#28 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 09:32 PM

Ack, I have always assumed that it was Bhaal taking the shape of Irenicus and tauting and teasing the PC, just as Bhaal takes the shape of Imoen in the after-Spellhold dream. I'll have to look for a points supporting my theory when I get back home and can have a look in the dialogues. But the speech patterns that were mentioned, certainly seem quite Bhaal-like. The motivation point is the vague one - why did Bhaal wanted to force the confrontation between the PC and Irenicus? Because he knew that whoever will emerge from this meeting will retain his essence and will have gained a lot of strength? Maybe. Perhaps I can dig up some more evidence later... :)

I don't think that the argument that 'it can't be Bhaal, as he is dead' is not that viable - I mean, he was pretty much dead during the course of BG1 as well, was he not?

#29 Jinnai

Jinnai

• 377 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 09:53 PM

I don't think that the argument that 'it can't be Bhaal, as he is dead' is not that viable - I mean, he was pretty much dead during the course of BG1 as well, was he not?

True espically since Bane was dead and was revived after BG2. Its not quite the same, but it is very similar.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#30 Tancred

Tancred

Hapless Paladin

• 209 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 10:14 PM

I'm going for symbolism here all across the board. Imoen represents your own soul, conscience, the part of you that is exclusively yours. Bhaal represents the taint of Bhaal within you, ever struggling to overcome its' opposite. These are yin and yang, the two parts of you that remain in perfect opposition. You've already fought the battle against the bhaal taint with the help of your own willpower in the first game. This is borne out by the vision sequence in chapter 4, when you battle the bhaal taint with the aid of your soul, which is then isolated and pulled from you.

Distorting this balance is the new figure of Irenicus. At this point in the game, the motives and plans of Irenicus remain more or less unknown. All you know is that he had some idea to unlock your power... running with that theme, I would say that the figure of Irenicus in your dreams represents a new thing awakened in you - the possibility of power, the uncertainty of your ability to fight the Bhaal taint. Anxiety and fear, exaggerated by the tortures you have suffered and the death/kidnap of comrades.

In every dream we see, it is the figure of Irenicus that presents you with arguments for taking up the power of Bhaal - you can either accept it, in which case you see yourself performing acts of power as by a little the Bhaal taint creeps into a dominant position, or you reject it, in which case Irenicus - uncertainty, fear - bombards Imoen - your soul - with destructive spells; symbolic of the erosion of your willpower by the unanswered questions presented to you.

If Irenicus says: "She clings to her old life as though it actually matters." could it not be that he refers to your soul holding on to you, fighting for you? And that it is pointless, for Bhaal will win in the end, no matter how many personal battles you fight and win?

Taken in this (fairly extreme) context, the dreams become a jouney into your tormented inner self rather than to Imoen and Irenicus. As pointed out, once your soul is gone the dreams cease - there is no longer any struggle, only the slow trickle of the taint as it fills the void left by your soul. Only one more dream comes to you after that - and though it is Imoen speaking to you, it becomes clear from her tone and words that it is just the shell of your soul, speaking the words of the taint.

A fairly wacky theory, but then I do tend towards the overly complex explanation anyway.

#31 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 02:14 AM

Wow, that's deep Tancred. B)

Seems this thread's got a bit large overnight: As I said I think the dreams are induced by Bhaal, for reasons me and a lot of the others have said.

Going back to Dorotea, I don't think Irenicus is really that aware of your dreams. He didn't know about the one you have in Spellhold (after you get the I have defeated whatever you conjured line), and I don't think he mentions the other ones.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#32 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 06:10 AM

Taken in this (fairly extreme) context, the dreams become a jouney into your tormented inner self rather than to Imoen and Irenicus. As pointed out, once your soul is gone the dreams cease - there is no longer any struggle, only the slow trickle of the taint as it fills the void left by your soul. Only one more dream comes to you after that - and though it is Imoen speaking to you, it becomes clear from her tone and words that it is just the shell of your soul, speaking the words of the taint.

Oh, I loved this whole concept very much. And it almost rings true to me except for the 2 little 'buts'

1. Imoen mentions that 'you will come too late' - there can be several explanations, but most logical one is the simplest : you worry about her and thus you dream of her, and not symbolically imagine her as your soul

2. Irenicus must have got the taint as well as the soul - because not only he can turn into the Slayer, he has some degree of control over your Hellish plane while he is holding to your soul - thus soul contains essence which is also the taint. I cannot separate the essence onto 'bad' and 'good' part, it is just raw power.

Arguments pro and contra? Anybody interested?

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#33 -Trefor-

-Trefor-

Posted 08 August 2003 - 06:32 AM

I rather took them as a continuation of the Bhaal temptation stuff from BG1, however:

CHARNAME is growing increasingly powerful. We've seen from BG1 that you can take control, subconsiously moving the dreams away from the path that Bhaal wants (the Good path) gaining power as you go (the spell effects that you pick up). By the time that you get the dreams in BGII, Irenicus has been experimenting for some time, attempting to increase that power for his own purposes (his words in the opening cutscenes point to this IMO). I think that his experiments have already formed a link between them and Imoen. Irenicus doesn't seem to be aware of this conciously, but in one of the dreams he does say "After all it is you that have brought us to the dream". This suggests to me that it is CHARNAME that is controlling the dreams (subconciously still) at this point.

The final dream (the Candlekeep one) in Spellhold seems to me fairly obvious. CHARNAME is aware what is happening but the struggle is couched in symbols as dreams usually are.

The separation of CHARNAME's soul from the Bhaal taint is interesting though. I wonder if Irenicus got any of that until the final battle at the tree. If he did, what do you think he dreamed about?

#34 Tancred

Tancred

Hapless Paladin

• 209 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 06:58 AM

1. Imoen mentions that 'you will come too late' - there can be several explanations, but most logical one is the simplest : you worry about her and thus you dream of her, and not symbolically imagine her as your soul

2. Irenicus must have got the taint as well as the soul - because not only he can turn into the Slayer, he has some degree of control over your Hellish plane while he is holding to your soul - thus soul contains essence which is also the taint. I cannot separate the essence onto 'bad' and 'good' part, it is just raw power.

Arguments pro and contra? Anybody interested?

1) Yes, that's a good one alright. Tricky.

"Do you remember... me? I... I can almost see... I want to, but... too late. You will come too late."

The only way I can interpret this and still maintain any credibility in what I say is:

"Do you remember who you are? Past events have shaken you to the core, do you still remember your own spirit? Something has come between us now... I am distant, but not yet gone... I almost have the power to see you, to force my way back to you but - too late! You will come (to full realisation? Back to me? Into your power?) too late!"

And with the appearance of the growing fears and disturbances within you(Irenicus), your soul becomes a statue - as far away from you as your guiding mentors, who laid the groundwork for your personality, or Sarevok, your shadow, who by opposing you allowed you to affirm who you were. You are losing touch with your soul, possibly as a result of something the real Irenicus did... but your psyche is clearly not giving up without a fight, as the Irenicus-figure asserts 'She clings to her old life.' I need a dictionary of Freudianism or something for this.

2) I'm not sure the essence and the taint are the same thing. Every reference to the taint of Bhaal seems to indicate that it is something deep within you, almost like a cancer, or lycanthropy. References are made to your 'tainted blood'... how you are 'born of that which takes life'... it's all very physical metaphors when referring to the taint. No-one ever says your *essence* or your *soul* is 'tainted'... divine in their' own way, yes, but not tainted.

#35 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 07:04 AM

The separation of CHARNAME's soul from the Bhaal taint is interesting though. I wonder if Irenicus got any of that until the final battle at the tree. If he did, what do you think he dreamed about?

Yes, yes ! Please can someone tell me? :blink:

I *need* to know what you think - was Jon having dreams as well? And do you think he had to pass the tests of Greed, Fear, Selfishness and Pride? (gee he sure failed the last one)

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#36 Tancred

Tancred

Hapless Paladin

• 209 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 07:11 AM

And do you think he had to pass the tests of Greed, Fear, Selfishness and Pride? (gee he sure failed the last one)

I SWEAR he says something along the lines of "I have faced my own demons on this plane, CHARNAME, and they hold no terror for me..." so I'd say yes. He's just died, so he can't really be in possession of your soul any more... I would tend towards the view that on this plane, both of you are on equal terms, both potential masters. It's an even playing-field.

As for the dreams... I don't know. We know Imoen doesn't dream until ToB, she tells us so... but it is an intriguing thought, one that's too good to ignore. I can almost imagine Irenicus walking about a morbid Suldanesselar floating in the void, confronted with the faces and statues of people he remembers. His old teachers, Rielev, Ellesime, Elthan... with Bodhi, no doubt, as his guide.

#37 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

Did-a-chick? Dad-a-cham? Ded-a-check?

• 388 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:04 AM

Jon's hell dialouge:

PC. "I have defeated you once already, Irenicus. You have no chance."

Irenicus. "I have as much chance as you, <CHARNAME>. I have fought my own demons in this hell, and I have learned that it is not to be feared!
As horrific as this place is, it merely mirrors the soul we now share. Shrink from it if you will, but I have grown to appreciate what it can offer!
Now defend yourself! One of us is not truly dead, and may be restored if the other is left here to rot! I will be free with what I have taken!"

Does the "I have grown to appreciate what it can offer line" imply that he has had dreams?

#38 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:10 AM

Does the "I have grown to appreciate what it can offer line" imply that he has had dreams?

Good point - a very good point! You guys gave me quite a few things to think about - I may post some sketches of the dialogs between PC and Jon and they trod through ToB next week ...

So, please continue to throw this fantastic ideas. ;)

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#39 C'est Nedra

C'est Nedra
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:30 AM

Hmmm, I was always under the impression that Irenicus knew what he was doing. I disliked how Irenicus was made into this "super power", considering that he was just a mage, not superman, nor a god....yet.

I imagined that Irenicus gained control of Spellhold and that is when the dreams began, he was working out of his evil little sanitarium like every decent mad scientist and putting all sorts of disturbing thoughts into CHARs head. Sort of like Freddy, only much cuter ;)

The idea that they were caused by the taint or brought on by the character's own conscience seems a bit bogus to me, much of it had nothing to do with the exact taint but rather the power to be harnessed from it...Irenicus had to keep his memory fresh in the char's mind anyways, to guarantee his arrival at Spellhold eventually.

Also, I would think that Irenicus would have gleaned knowledge of the char's past from his various experiments, and knew what his weaknesses were [ we are dealing with a super-villian here], hence using the environment of Candlekeep and his past enemies.

#40 The Amazing Maurice

The Amazing Maurice

Did-a-chick? Dad-a-cham? Ded-a-check?

• 388 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:55 AM

But the Pc was having similar dreams in BG1, and Imoen has them in TOB after Irenicus is (officialy) dead