Unused music from the soundtrack

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 -Spiff-

-Spiff-

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

I have very little information here, but as far as I can tell, several songs from the official soundtrack never actually made it to the game.

Does anyone have a full list of the unused tracks? Is it possible to have them added to the game in some way? I am sorry I cannot bring up anything concrete here, but hopefully a discussion will shed some light on the matter.

#2 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:26 PM

In theory, yes, I think I know how I could go about introducing unused tracks were I to discover or be informed of any. But I'm not currently aware of any.

If anything, I'd be most interested in an alternate combat track, cause while I consider most of the music in PS:T to be superb, the combat music has to be my least favorite out of all of 'em.

Qwinn

#3 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

The only unused track I can think of is the alternate smoldering corpse bar theme. I don't know, maybe a tweak could make it play in the bar when you return to sigil after the outlands?

#4 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

Unfortunately, that I can't do. I can change it at installation time, but I can't change it mid-game.

Still, I can add a tweak (or UB component? Yeah, I guess UB, since it's original BI content... not in the "recommended" ones though) to play the alternate SC bar music. I'll add it to the list. (Again, don't be holding off on playing a game for anything I'm saying I'll add... next releases probably won't be coming around till late this year.)

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 11 April 2009 - 11:37 AM.

#5 macabroid

macabroid
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:28 AM

The cover of Planescape:Torment soundtrack CD marks FIVE tracks as unused in the game. Is it a publisher's mistake or they are actually unused?

#6 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:53 PM

Sorry macabroid, I didn't see your question there. I'm now focusing on getting these songs restored.

And yep, five of them, at least, appear to be unused, though one strongly resembles one that's used. I'm workin' the problem.

The five unused tracks are:

1. Smoldering Corpse Bar, Alternate
2. Morte's Theme
3. Morte's Theme Alternate
4. Good Ending
5. Neutral Ending

At the link I'm using:

http://planescape.ou...page=soundtrack

...neither of the Smoldering Corpse tracks seem to work. The rest do. Anyone got an .mp3 for the alternate?

"Good Ending" sounds very very similar to the TNO theme, with maybe one additional instrument thrown in near the beginning. (The TNO theme is what you hear on the New Life main screen). EDIT: I take that back. The TNO theme and the main screen music are two different music files, MAIN and CHAR_01. I just can't tell any difference. But I have a lousy ear. Can anyone else tell?

As for Smoldering Corpse Bar (Alternate), I think the best way to do that would be to have the main theme play during the day, and the alternate theme play at night.

Morte's Theme, the main one, seems more fitting as a replacement to play at the Mortuary at the beginning. The second, "alternate" one is a bit too lively for the mortuary setting, I think. (Actually, they're both kinda upbeat in a freaky way, the first one just less so). So if I do change the music for the start of the game when you meet him, it'll be to his main theme.

NO idea what to do about "Neutral Ending". Or the "Good Ending", really.

I'm -seriously- looking to you guys for some guidance here. Where do you want these songs heard? Are the above ideas good, and what do I do with the ones I have no idea about? I'm contemplating seeing if I can get each PC's theme to play when you enter dialogue with them, but that may prove difficult do pull off (not sure, for example, if I could -end- it when dialogue ends). Is that something you'd all actually -want-? Should I spend effort on that?

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 28 May 2009 - 10:18 PM.

#7 InTourette

InTourette
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:18 AM

In my opinion the alternate theme of the smoldering corpse bar would perfectly fit for it during the night. Mortes themes are altogether a little bit to lively for the whole setting and thus not really fitting in the mortuary, but maybe when morte gets kidnapped as it is a funny scene in my opinion.
if it's poosible to connect the music to the morale of TNO, then it would be very cool if it's played in the end.

#8 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:47 AM

I agree with InTourette about morte's theme.

About the ending themes, the one that actually plays, is the bad one? And which are the endings exactly, is this accurate? :

Good - your friends are resurrected, you merge with TTO.
Bad - your friends are all dead
Neutral - you and TTO both die from the blade of the immortal

Oh, and here is the Smoldering corpse bar alternate:

Attached Files

#9 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:00 AM

Thanks Ghostdog!

Okay guys, I've been trying for the last hour to find some converter online that will allow me to convert this MP3 to ACM.

The first one promised to be a converter, but is apparently strictly a CD Burner.

The second one claimed to convert to ACM, but doesn't.

BOTH of them are setting off my mental "I just probably screwed myself with a virus" alarms in a big way.

I'm not willing to continue looking for one blind. If someone can either convert it for me, or link me to a SAFE freeware/shareware converter, I'd really appreciate it. But at this rate, I'm -begging- to load malware on my system.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 29 May 2009 - 10:00 AM.

#10 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:26 PM

Adobe Audition supports it, see here. Just download the 30 day (or something like that) trial here to do converting then uninstall when you're done. Like 90% of conversion apps are crapware. The best by far (but doesn't support acm) is MediaCoder which is free.

Oh you'll need to sign up an account with Adobe. Use something like 10minmail or Bugmenot.

Edited by scient, 29 May 2009 - 02:29 PM.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#11 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:32 AM

Wewt! It was a -horrific- pain in the ass, but I got the alternate Smoldering Corpse soundtrack working :) It plays at night in the SCB, the original music still plays during the day :) It sounds great too. Quite fitting for the atmosphere of the place.

And ya know, I'm pretty happy with leaving the music issue there. The idea of playing Morte's theme during the kidnapping cutscene is better than any idea I've had for that music, but I think it'd also be kinda pointless... that cutscene ends very quickly, and you wouldn't hear much more than a few bars of it.

If I do find a way to get the PC themes to play during dialogues with them, which I'm not at -all- sure is possible, that's about the only way I can see it happening.

And which are the endings exactly, is this accurate? :

Good - your friends are resurrected, you merge with TTO.
Bad - your friends are all dead
Neutral - you and TTO both die from the blade of the immortal

The varied endings were abandoned at some point during development, I think, which is why you only get one of the tunes now. (The "bad" theme). Well, supposedly, anyway. I can't find any reference that would make the bad theme play either. It's not specced to an area, nor is it played by any script. Only other way it could play is by the engine, and I couldn't find any reference there either. Does it play during the end credits? Maybe, but there's a different track called "Credits" floating around, so I'm not sure if even the Bad theme plays, nor when it -could- other than the credits. I also don't think there's any reasonable way to replace them. Maybe the Bad Ending Theme is the music attached to the ending movie where you're walking down to the fighting? If so, I won't be attempting to make any changes to that. I draw the line at modding the movies, heh.

At this point, I think I'm mostly prepared to cheer about restoring the alternate bar theme, declare victory, and move on.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 30 May 2009 - 02:59 AM.

#12 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:55 AM

Oh, the nighttime SCB theme will be part of the Restored Sounds and Banters component.

Qwinn

#13 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:53 AM

The varied endings were abandoned at some point during development, I think, which is why you only get one of the tunes now.

Perhaps the Good/Bad/Neutral songs were supposed to play during the final cutscene when TNO resurrects all of his companions (after merging with TTO). The names hint that the songs might be related to TNO's alignment i.e. if he is MASK_GOOD then END_01G.MUS would play...etc.

If I do find a way to get the PC themes to play during dialogues with them, which I'm not at -all- sure is possible, that's about the only way I can see it happening.

Wouldn't StartSong() do the trick?

Edited by aVENGER, 30 May 2009 - 04:03 AM.

#14 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:11 AM

Wouldn't StartSong() do the trick?

In PS:T, StartSong is never actually used as a dialogue action, it is only used in scripts... I didn't want to assume that would necessarily work properly.

Actually, thinking about it... in BG2 I'm pretty sure the various romance music tracks start instantly the moment a lovetalk is initiated. Even if I added StartSong as an action to the dialogues, it wouldn't start until after you picked the first response. So what's the BG2 mechanism for that? I'm gonna guess it's possible because those lovetalks are initiated by scripts that include the StartSong. If that's the case, I don't have that option and best I can do is start the song upon TNO's first reply :(

Perhaps the Good/Bad/Neutral songs were supposed to play during the final cutscene when TNO resurrects all of his companions (after merging with TTO). The names hint that the songs might be related to TNO's alignment i.e. if he is MASK_GOOD then END_01G.MUS would play...etc.

It's possible. I'll take a look and see if this is feasible. I'd be happier if we could identify where Bad Theme plays now.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 30 May 2009 - 06:13 AM.

#15 vyeh

vyeh
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:44 AM

Adobe Audition supports it, see here. Just download the 30 day (or something like that) trial here to do converting then uninstall when you're done. Like 90% of conversion apps are crapware. The best by far (but doesn't support acm) is MediaCoder which is free.

Oh you'll need to sign up an account with Adobe. Use something like 10minmail or Bugmenot.

Hi scient!

How goes fixing the planescape bugs.

We (your friends at SMAC) have lost contact.

How much is Adobe Audition?

Are we talking < $100?

#16 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:04 AM

Actually, thinking about it... in BG2 I'm pretty sure the various romance music tracks start instantly the moment a lovetalk is initiated. Even if I added StartSong as an action to the dialogues, it wouldn't start until after you picked the first response. So what's the BG2 mechanism for that

In BG2, the theme songs are triggered via scripts prior to initiating the actual conversation. Here's an example:

IF
	InParty(Myself)
	RealGlobalTimerExpired("AerieRomance","GLOBAL")
	Global("AerieRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)
	!AreaType(DUNGEON)
	See(Player1)
	!See([ENEMY])
	!Range([NEUTRAL],10)
	CombatCounter(0)
	OR(4)
		Global("ExpLoveTalk","LOCALS",1)
		Global("ExpLoveTalk","LOCALS",7)
		Global("ExpLoveTalk","LOCALS",11)
		Global("ExpLoveTalk","LOCALS",13)
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		IncrementGlobal("ExpLoveTalk","LOCALS",1)
		PlaySong(34)
		Interact(Player1)
END

BTW, you can use DLTCEP to convert WAV files to ACM and vice versa. The convertor can be accessed through the "Sound" menu.

#17 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:38 AM

I'd be happier if we could identify where Bad Theme plays now.

A quick scan reveals that neither of the three ending songs (33, 34 and 35) is assigned to an area and Near Infinity shows that they are not used in scripts and dialogues either.

BACKUP ~aTST/BACKUP~
AUTHOR ~aVENGER~

BEGIN ~Song Listing~

COPY ~aTST/blank.log~ ~override/songs.log~
COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.are$~ ~override~
PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE > 0x118) BEGIN // file size sanity check
READ_LONG 0xbc "song_off"
READ_LONG ("%song_off%" + 0x00) "Day"
READ_LONG ("%song_off%" + 0x04) "Night"
READ_LONG ("%song_off%" + 0x08) "Victory"
READ_LONG ("%song_off%" + 0x0c) "Battle"
READ_LONG ("%song_off%" + 0x10) "Defeat"
INNER_ACTION BEGIN
APPEND ~songs.log~ ~%SOURCE_FILE% Day song is %Day%
%SOURCE_FILE% Night song is %Night%
%SOURCE_FILE% Victory song is %Victory%
%SOURCE_FILE% Battle song is %Battle%
%SOURCE_FILE% Defeat song is %Defeat%~
END
END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

BTW, the song names can be looked up in [PST FOLDER]\Music\songlist.txt.

Edited by aVENGER, 30 May 2009 - 07:53 AM.

#18 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:36 PM

That's cool, thanks. And yah, I'd already discovered and posted that in post #11 :) And of course I had to update songlist.txt when I added the smoldering corpse alternate theme :)

Anyway, it's good to know that yes, the romance songs are started by the scripts that initiate the talks. That means I can't use the same logic. No script runs when you initiate a talk with a PC yourself. I will have to see if I can use StartSong as an action in a dialogue, but it will seem odd cause the song couldn't start until after your first response.

(In theory I COULD start the songs when the various PC's initiate -banters-... this wouldn't ever get you Dak'kon's or Ignus's themes... but I'm hesitant to do that cause it would make their voiced lines in banters harder to hear.)

Qwinn

#19 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:52 PM

Okay, well, for anyone who cares, here's what I've discovered and what I'm pondering.

1) I got theme songs to play during banters. I don't like it.

2) I got theme songs to play when you initiate conversation with PC's, though I only do so if you don't say "Goodbye" immediately. I kinda do like it. The theme will continue to play through to completion once, then the normal area music will resume, regardless of whether you leave or remain in the dialogue.

3) If the area in question doesn't -have- normal music associated with it, then -no- songs will play there, not even when told to by a script or dialogue. Areas that don't have associated songs are usually small houses like Angyar's, Brasken's, Sharegrave's, or the little room you take through a portal from the mortuary that you can rest in. Dunno if it was intentional. I -could- associate all these small areas with the music that plays just outside the door, or I could just leave it the way it is, and talking to 'em in those areas just won't start their theme up. I lean toward just leaving the small areas as is, totally musicless. What do you guys think?

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 30 May 2009 - 10:01 PM.

#20 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:34 PM

Alright. Here's the final result on restoring Morte's Theme, as well as playing PC's themes when talking to them:

Yes, I can get it where it'll play each PC's theme when you initiate conversation with them, and that would be a way to get Morte's theme in. BUT. Once a PC's theme starts, nothing (other than leaving the area) stops it from playing until it runs its course. That includes talking to a different PC. So you could talk to Annah briefly, get her music playing, then switch to talking to Grace and you'll still keep hearing Annah's song. Which is ugh. I'd prefer that talking to a new PC would stop the previous music and start the new PC's music, but I can't find any way to do that.

Now, none of the themes are -that- long... a minute or two? And once they end on their own, the normal area music resumes, and talking to another PC -then- will replace the area music with that PC's theme. You just can't override a PC's theme once it's started.

Is that going to be a dealbreaker for people? I really don't know.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 30 May 2009 - 11:35 PM.