1ppv3: Female Dwarves

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

As you may or may not be aware of, separate animation references for female and male dwarves have recently become a possibility.

Keeping up with my promise to actually make use of it, we humbly start this topic with the first part out of what will be ten (yes, there really are that many different armour/class combinations for one single race and gender).

Posted Image

Sorry for not having better screenshots up there, but as usual you can have some better.. 'fake' screenshots here:

» click to see a comparison «

:blush:

The included installer will patch your .exe to make the female/male animation slots use the new files. I'm releasing these as I go, so it will also create copies of the original files for animation series I have not finished yet to avoid crashing your game. I could have waited and released more of them at once, but doing it this way seemed like a better idea for a few reasons:

One. You don't have to wait until you can have some fun with them, also preventing any potential loss of data (also known as spontaneous hard drive and flash memory combustion).

Two. Feedback. I'm trying to test these, but you know how it is. I'd rather know about the bugs sooner than later.

Three. Gathering interest. Why do that for an unfinished project? Because simply put, it's needed.

The patch is currently SoA and ToB only, limited to Windows installs. Help would be much appreciated
  • Porting the patch for Mac users
  • Porting the patch to Icewind Dale HoW
  • Porting the patch to Icewind Dale II
(a file with a description of what exactly needs to be done is included)

Seriously,
If you like these, please spread the word.

If you like me, make an interesting dwarven female NPC.

It would be a shame if this stayed a Baldur's Gate II exclusive, when the appeal is there for other games as well.

OH and lest I forget:

» download here «

Edited by Erephine, 11 April 2009 - 05:35 PM.

崇高滑稽
·

#2 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:36 PM

I love your work!!! :wub: :clap:

These female dwarves don't have any beards!! :o Are they Sunderd (sp?) dwarves? As an old D&D player I think of them not having full beards, but shorter below the chin beards with no moustaches.

Like all true artist they have to live with everyone's idea on how they would make it better! :bi:

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#3 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:58 AM

Copied [CDMB3SX.BAM] to [override/CDFB3SX.BAM]
Copying and patching 1 file ...
[bgmain.exe] loaded, 7843840 bytes

Error: could not determine which version of BG2 you are using. Please double check that you installed the v26498 patch (if you have ToB) or the v24037 patch (if you have SoA only).
bgmain.exe copied to 1pp_female_dwarves/backup/0/bgmain.exe, 7843840 bytes
Copied [bgmain.exe] to [bgmain.exe]
FAILURE:
Could not patch bgmain successfully.
Stopping installation because of error.

:(

The WeiDU.log when trying to install:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-A6XPPATCH.TP2~ #0 #0 // Correct reporting of experience (EXE patch)
~SETUP-A6XPPATCH.TP2~ #0 #1 // Remove 110% scaling of some experience (EXE patch)
~SETUP-A6CHARMPATCH.TP2~ #0 #0 // Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (EXE patch)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ascension v1.41 (requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #1 // Tougher Abazigal (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #2 // Original Tougher Demogorgon (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #3 // Tougher Gromnir (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #4 // Tougher Illasera (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #5 // Tougher Yaga-Shura (optional, requires ToB)
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!): v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #103 // Mixed-Use Dagger Fixes: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers and Stalkers: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in Wrath Hell Trial: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #114 // Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun: v8 BWP patch
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #0 // One Pixel Productions: v2 Everything but Potions (1): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #2 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Flaming Swords (3): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #3 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Flame Short Swords (4): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #4 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Flame Short Swords item patches (5): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #5 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Flame Short Swords mod item patches (6): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #6 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Paperdolls (human, half-orc, elven, halfling, dwarves) (7): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #7 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Legacy Shields - Bucklers (D1) (8): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #8 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Legacy Shields - Small Shields (D2) (9): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #9 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Legacy Shields - Medium Shields (D3) (10): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #10 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Colourable Quarterstaves core (11): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #11 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Colourable Quarterstaves mod patches [caution advised.] (12): v2.6

My guess is that 'Experience Corrections v1' & 'Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures v2' has changed the size of bgmain.exe. Is it just a check to see if the v26498 patch was installed or does the size change mean the patch will be added in the wrong place??

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#4 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:40 AM

Any 1 Pixel Production gets my vote. Please - I'd love to see the rest of the set.

-Y-

Edited by Yovaneth, 12 April 2009 - 01:41 AM.

#5 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:00 AM

:(

My guess is that 'Experience Corrections v1' & 'Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures v2' has changed the size of bgmain.exe. Is it just a check to see if the v26498 patch was installed or does the size change mean the patch will be added in the wrong place??

Neither of those mods should interfere with this. I tested with everything listed except Ascension and it installed okay here.

First double-check that the patch was installed, and if you're still running into problems, post your bgmain.exe.

These female dwarves don't have any beards!! :o Are they Sunderd (sp?) dwarves? As an old D&D player I think of them not having full beards, but shorter below the chin beards with no moustaches.

Call me shallow if you will, but I've never understood the appeal of girls with beards (is there an appeal?) and would not be able to play a game with one. So thank you very much for fixing this, Erephine (and so speedily, too!) - I'm looking forward to the rest of the set.

#6 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:26 AM

I keep a clean patched install of BG2:ToB that I copy over to another folder when I start new install. This way I know everything is correct.

Here is my current BGmain.exe rename to be able to upload: Attached File  bgmain.exe.txt   7.48MB   676 downloads

I went ahead without Female Dwarves mod and this is the WeiDu.log that is current with the above bgmain.

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-A6XPPATCH.TP2~ #0 #0 // Correct reporting of experience (EXE patch)
~SETUP-A6XPPATCH.TP2~ #0 #1 // Remove 110% scaling of some experience (EXE patch)
~SETUP-A6CHARMPATCH.TP2~ #0 #0 // Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (EXE patch)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ascension v1.41 (requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #1 // Tougher Abazigal (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #2 // Original Tougher Demogorgon (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #3 // Tougher Gromnir (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #4 // Tougher Illasera (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #5 // Tougher Yaga-Shura (optional, requires ToB)
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!): v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #103 // Mixed-Use Dagger Fixes: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers and Stalkers: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in Wrath Hell Trial: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes: v8 BWP patch
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #114 // Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun: v8 BWP patch
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #0 // One Pixel Productions: v2 Everything but Potions (1): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #2 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Flaming Swords (3): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #3 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Flame Short Swords (4): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #4 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Flame Short Swords item patches (5): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #5 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Flame Short Swords mod item patches (6): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #6 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Paperdolls (human, half-orc, elven, halfling, dwarves) (7): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #7 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Legacy Shields - Bucklers (D1) (8): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #8 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Legacy Shields - Small Shields (D2) (9): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #9 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Legacy Shields - Medium Shields (D3) (10): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #10 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Colourable Quarterstaves core (11): v2.6
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #11 // One Pixel Productions: v3 Colourable Quarterstaves mod patches [caution advised.] (12): v2.6
~1PP_AWINGS/SETUP-1PP_AWINGS.TP2~ #0 #0 // 1PP: Attachable wings core [beta]
~1PP_AWINGS/SETUP-1PP_AWINGS.TP2~ #0 #1 // 1PP: Attachable wings test items
~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #0 // Proper dual-wielding implementation for Thieves and Bards: v4.04
~SETUP-DARKRITUAL.TP2~ #0 #3 // CoM Store 1
~SETUP-TDD.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Darkest Day, v1.12
~SETUP-SOS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Shadows Over Soubar: 1.13
~SETUP-CTB.TP2~ #0 #0 // Check The Bodies: 1.11
~SETUP-CTB-CHORES.TP2~ #0 #0 // Candlekeep Chores: 2.2
~SETUP-CTB_FF.TP2~ #0 #0 // Check the Bodies Fast Forward, v1.1 (for CtB v1.8 or later)

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#7 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:05 AM

Nope, they're not.

In fact, even with the original concept, it was understood they shaved, and the only female dwarves you would encounter with a beard would typically be deep dwarves.

Call me shallow if you will, but I've never understood the appeal of girls with beards (is there an appeal?) and would not be able to play a game with one.

^ also I can only whole heartedly agree with that. Add me to the list of shallow people :D

Quoting from the The Complete Book of Dwarves, 2nd Ed.:

Deep Dwarves

Deep dwarves live far beneath the surface of the earth. They may always have lived there, or may have gone deep underground to escape a dreadful cataclysm, marauding monsters, or perhaps were driven downward by mountain or hill dwarves.

[...]

They are large boned, but leaner than other dwarves. Their skin varies from pale brown to light tan,and often carries a reddish tinge. Their eyes are large, but without the sheen of their surface cousins; in colour, a washed-out blue. Hair colour ranges from flame red to straw blond. The females wear their beards long, unlike other dwarf women (who are typically clean-shaven).

Edited by Erephine, 12 April 2009 - 03:09 AM.

崇高滑稽
·

#8 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:23 AM

I keep a clean patched install of BG2:ToB that I copy over to another folder when I start new install. This way I know everything is correct.

Hmm, everything seems to be organised almost identically to my 26498 except for a few extra bytes at the end. Is this file the same size as the one in your clean backup? (I assume it would be.)

You should be able to install okay if you change line 36 in the installer from:

PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE == 7839790) BEGIN // ToB v26498
to:

PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE == 7839790 || SOURCE_SIZE == 7843840) BEGIN // ToB v26498

Edited by Mike1072, 12 April 2009 - 03:31 AM.

#9 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:43 AM

I don't think I like dwarf women 'that way' with or with beards. Halflings on the other hand. :naughty: 'Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!' Here are 2 pics of FR dwarven priestesses both with and without beards.

Here dwarves01.jpg dwarves02.jpg

The small beards would likely be hard to show anyway on such small figures.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#10 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:53 AM

@Mike

Yes, I just checked my backup and it is 7,843,840 bytes. It is a BG2:SoA then updated with BG2:ToB then was patched with 2tob_26498_eng.exe. And is a US release and I think the first version. Just so you have too much info! I will change the check for my install. Thanks for the help!

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#11 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

Not working yet. :unsure:

Maybe this will help?

Posted Image

The paperdolls have been edited for this one from their original release, so having the install update them actually makes sense now. :D I wanted to add Chevalier's .exe to the installer incase someone else has it, but alas, I forgot. Next time!

»» view comparison images ««

»» download me ««

崇高滑稽
·

#12 RavenBlack

RavenBlack

Proofreading Ninja

• 75 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:46 AM

If seamlessly integrating this with IWD2 works (without its flaky engine throwing an amazing fit and breaking the initiate robe disguise function, among other annoying things), can these lovely new paperdolls also be used for female Gnomes and Halflings?

#13 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:40 AM

Kind of at a loss what you're referring to, IWD II does not have paperdolls.

Female halflings already have their own paperdolls, and female gnomes will have them 'soon'.

崇高滑稽
·

#14 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

It doesn't have paperdolls, no, but it does use animations. It would be really nice to allow female gnomes to look like female gnomes.

On a completely different (or not) topic, I was trying to get the Female Dwarves to work on DavidW's IWD-in-BG2 conversion (kind of like a cross between Tutu and BGT, but for IWD), and installation failed. Let me post the relevant part of the DEBUG.

Copying new files for CDFB2 - leather armour
Copying 23 files ...
ERROR: error loading [1pp_female_dwarves/CFDB2/CDFB2A1.BAM]

ERROR Installing [Separate Avatars for Female Dwarves], rolling back to previous state
[1pp_female_dwarves/backup/0/UNSETSTR.0] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
Will uninstall 245 files for [1PP_FEMALE_DWARVES/SETUP-1PP_FEMALE_DWARVES.TP2] component 0.

I'd really like to be able to use this, so I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#15 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

Now here's the really odd thing: In game, I'm seeing female dwarves, despite the reported failure of the installation on IWD-in-BG2. I'll send a debug to Mike1072 and see if he can make heads or tails of it.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods

#16 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:49 PM

Now here's the really odd thing: In game, I'm seeing female dwarves, despite the reported failure of the installation on IWD-in-BG2. I'll send a debug to Mike1072 and see if he can make heads or tails of it.

It's a typo in the latest version that's preventing installation. The .tp2 is looking for the leather armour avatars in the CFDB2 folder instead of the CDFB2 folder - a manual search/replace of CFDB2 with CDFB2 in the file should fix it until the next version is released.

Edited by Mike1072, 18 April 2009 - 08:49 PM.

#17 RavenBlack

RavenBlack

Proofreading Ninja

• 75 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:47 PM

It doesn't have paperdolls, no, but it does use animations. It would be really nice to allow female gnomes to look like female gnomes.

That's what I meant, thank you berelinde :) Female halfling mages also use the bearded animation.

#18 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:34 PM

I've haven't been having any luck finding a solution for IWD2. There appears to be only one reference used for multiple genders/classes as opposed to the 1:1 correspondence in BG2, so for example, changing the one instance of "CDMW" to a new animation results in the new animation being applied to male dwarf wizards, female dwarf wizards, male gnome wizards, female gnome wizards, .... I think hackery more advanced than I am capable of would be needed to modify this behaviour.

#19 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:35 AM

On a completely different (or not) topic, I was trying to get the Female Dwarves to work on DavidW's IWD-in-BG2 conversion (kind of like a cross between Tutu and BGT, but for IWD), and installation failed.

Well, I asked for help porting it in the first post so I thought it was obvious. :blush:

Thanks for pointing out the typo :( I'm a fool.

Fixed version should be up in a minute.

-edit: And it is.

Edited by Erephine, 19 April 2009 - 06:19 AM.

崇高滑稽
·

#20 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:34 AM

I've haven't been having any luck finding a solution for IWD2. There appears to be only one reference used for multiple genders/classes as opposed to the 1:1 correspondence in BG2, so for example, changing the one instance of "CDMW" to a new animation results in the new animation being applied to male dwarf wizards, female dwarf wizards, male gnome wizards, female gnome wizards, .... I think hackery more advanced than I am capable of would be needed to modify this behaviour.

That's a bummer. I don't know why they changed it for IWD2 when it was working for BG2, but them's the breaks. (sigh)

It would have been nice to have a Peony that looked like a gnome, though.

berelinde's mods