Photo

French translation for Fix pack and UB

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hamtarotaro

hamtarotaro
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:56 AM

Hello, im a great fan of PsT like most on people here and i want to make possible for all french people the possibility to install and play with all the fixes Qwinn made.

I'm member of a PC games community [post="http://forum.canardp...pc.com/"]Canard PC[/post] and there is 2 or 3 who are interessed in the project.

I don't really know if it hard or not, possible or not but i will try.

Sorry for my bad english, i thought i was better than that, i lost a lot since i don't speak or write so often.

#2 hamtarotaro

hamtarotaro
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

Hem, i made my message in a hurry and forgot to say what i needed (i'm hiding in a hole :whistling: ).

So i am gathering people for this project and for now i have around 4 people (i don't really know if it's enough or not for this kind of work).

The only thing i wanted to ask is if someone can tell me what tools i can use to translate the fixes (Weidu i think), i've never did any modding or translation it will be my first time.

I found a website with tutorial (http://weidu.org/main.html#weidu) for using weidu but i want just one or two ppl to confirm me thats theses tools are the only one to use.

I hope im not bothering people here with my question.

Edited by hamtarotaro, 20 April 2009 - 07:45 AM.

#3 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:45 AM

No bother at all! Thank you for the offer to help.

Everything you need is at this link.

http://www.shsforums...showtopic=35876

Basically, you just need to download those files and translate them, otherwise keeping the numbered format, for example:

@200=~My file has this sentence in english, you translate it to french, don't change the @200= or the tildes though.~

This is a tilde: ~

You don't need to worry about WeiDU or anything like that. It's set up so you just need to translate the strings I have.

As for what tools to use, in theory you could just do it in Notepad or any other word processor. Microsoft Word worked fine for me, if you have it. Or ConText. Up to you.

Thanks for the offer to help! As for needing four people to do it, well, you certainly can, that's how the german translation was done, but the spanish and italian translations were both done by individuals. So depends on how much time you have.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 20 April 2009 - 09:47 AM.

#4 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

I should explain, by the way, that this is only the translation for my mods. Someone else would have had to translate the game itself, probably installing it as a dialog.tlk file. Looks like this may be a link here:

http://www.torrentre...-torment-french

Note, when translating certain things in my files (like all the spell descriptions in fixpack.tra), it may be a good idea to refer to the actual french dialogue file for guidance, since all I'm doing is changing the casting speed. That can save you a lot of time. If you need to know how to convert the french dialog.tlk file into something you can view with a word processor, let me know.

Qwinn

#5 Isaya

Isaya
  • Modder
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:38 PM

There is a French community on a French forum called "La Couronne de Cuivre", where you may find some help. I belong to a group of translators operating on that forum. We are experienced with translation of WeiDU mods and specific aspects or limitations of the game engine regarding the French language. If you need any help or advice, in French ;), we'll be happy to oblige.
You are welcome to come and have a look at our section dedicated to mod translation (notably).

I'm looking forward to playing Planescape with these mods and the translation. ;)

#6 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:31 AM

Just wondering if there's been any progress on this? A french translation for version 4.0 would be great indeed.

Qwinn

#7 hamtarotaro

hamtarotaro
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:44 AM

I had no time to give to the translation recently (family stuffs) and the worst thing is my HD dying (reinstallation of windows yeah).

I will post about progress in some days.

#8 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:20 AM

Ack, sorry to hear about the troubles. Good luck!

Qwinn