Photo

Strontium Dog's BWP problem thread/Was:- Nadalin NTOSC issue

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#1 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:22 AM

OK, I'm playing the Northern tales of the sword coast quests right now and have a problem. You're not supposed to go the northern coastal area where the fishermen and druid are, you're supposed to go to Nadalin first to start the quest. I made the mistake of first going to the field of the dead and northern coastal area before talking to nadalin or any other npc. Now I went back to talk to Nadalin(for the first time after finding a walkthrough) and he said nothing at all. How am I, therefore, supposed to get Nadalin to take me to the salamander isle? if anyone could give me the correct code/number etc. to get Nadalin to agree to take me to the salamander isle, I would be most grateful indeed. Cheers.

Edited by Strontium Dog, 24 April 2009 - 06:25 AM.

#2 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:39 AM

OK, I'm playing the Northern tales of the sword coast quests right now and have a problem. You're not supposed to go the northern coastal area where the fishermen and druid are, you're supposed to go to Nadalin first to start the quest. I made the mistake of first going to the field of the dead and northern coastal area before talking to nadalin or any other npc. Now I went back to talk to Nadalin(for the first time after finding a walkthrough) and he said nothing at all. How am I, therefore, supposed to get Nadalin to take me to the salamander isle? if anyone could give me the correct code/number etc. to get Nadalin to agree to take me to the salamander isle, I would be most grateful indeed. Cheers.

Did you kill all the Salamanders and talk to the Village Chief yet?

It takes a village...

#3 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:52 AM

Nadalin the guy who is supposed to be at the dock in Baldur's Gate right? See if he is still standing near the ship in the bottom right corner and talk to him. After his first quest is done, then he moves to the north coast.

#4 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:24 AM

Did you kill all the Salamanders and talk to the Village Chief yet?

Yes, I did.

#5 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:38 AM

Isn't their another person in the Northern Citadel to talk to? I remember one more character there that had the missing global setting and it was the same guy that you can talk to about the key in the altar but he is not in the temple. He is one of the rooms in the inn type area where you can rest from the girl that wants to adventure with your party but is not allowed or something. It has been a while since I played the mod but it will set everything properly and Nadalin will have more dialogs and move to his boat ready for shipping off to Salamander Island.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#6 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:10 PM

Can you post your WeiDU log please?

It takes a village...

#7 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:21 AM

Isn't their another person in the Northern Citadel to talk to? I remember one more character there that had the missing global setting and it was the same guy that you can talk to about the key in the altar but he is not in the temple. He is one of the rooms in the inn type area where you can rest from the girl that wants to adventure with your party but is not allowed or something. It has been a while since I played the mod but it will set everything properly and Nadalin will have more dialogs and move to his boat ready for shipping off to Salamander Island.

Thanks. I think I know who you mean.(avery?)

#8 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:22 AM

For reasons too embarassing to mention, I won't be able to transfer my weidu log file to this PC for another 4 weeks.

Edited by Strontium Dog, 25 April 2009 - 02:32 AM.

#9 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:32 AM

I've come across yet another issue. In my BWP install, I also installed the stone of askavar mod. Now, you're supposed to get an encounter with soldiers of the black gauntlet midway through the area north of nashkel, during chapter 3. As i didn't find them the 2nd time I went to that area to do the last of the dark side of the sword coast quests(otho's nephew quest), I reloaded an earlier chapter 3 save to see if I could encounter the black gauntlet group so that I could read their names and find their relevant codes via shadowkeeper and then use createcreature() to insert them in artificially. However, I didn't find them there in chapter 3, either, and I couldn't find any references to "black gauntlet" in shadowkeeper, either.

Does anyone know the relevant createcreature() codes to set up the npcs at that encounter(along with the message I'm supposed to take to someone in baldur's gate. The way I see it, once I have all those that should kick-start the rest of the stone of askavar quests without further problems.#

While I can see that bugs can develop in mods, what I can't understand is how a mod can be installed and then have whole npcs missing, not being activated on your arrival in the area etc(after all, I've played through BG2 before with TDD added, and didn't have that issue with the stone of askavar mod). So far, I've been surprisingly/amazingly lucky with BWP and only encountered an issue with the missing girl in the vampire/child DSOTSC quest(solved by finding the relevant character .cre(dsmegan), and this soa bug, assuming that the nadalin quest can be solved(I've since checked the nadalin code in shadowkeeper and assume that if I tinker with the number setting I can arrange to go to the salamander isle). And checking with avery may sort things out, anyway re nadalin.

#10 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:55 AM

Triple post... you can always make push the quote button and then push the Addreply button at the end to quote several people, or edit the first post...

Now back to the more real reply:

While I can see that bugs can develop in mods, what I can't understand is how a mod can be installed and then have whole npcs missing, not being activated on your arrival in the area etc(after all, I've played through BG2 before with TDD added, and didn't have that issue with the stone of askavar mod).

Well, this is the case of many things, but it all depends:
Firstly on the installation order, cause if a mod overwrites the whole file and doesn't patch(and add to) the file, only the last made change will be there.
Secondly about the circumstances, what the idea behind the modification is... if you wish to put 1000 monsters behind a desk, you can do that by summoning/place them there, and the player will then meat them. But if you wish the player first meat an Imp that comes and says to you "Look behind that desk, I see 1000 monsters." and then summon them, the monsters can't be behind the desk before that and the files that the Imp effects need to summon the monsters there, after it has said that, OK so what if only 50 of them are summoned, that's just 20 times the amount the Imp said.

I've come across yet another issue. In my BWP install, I also installed the stone of askavar mod. Now, you're supposed to get an encounter with soldiers of the black gauntlet midway through the area north of nashkel, during chapter 3. ...I couldn't find any references to "black gauntlet" in Shadowkeeper, either.

This might have to do with the BGT chapter numbers, as they are all +1 on the BG1, the chapter number is too much.
Now, one really should use the Near Infinity to find all these things, as it's a lot more moding inclined tool. Hmm, I might edit this post in few hours...

Edit: Hmm, that was fast... the encounter actually happens in chapter 6(after the Candlekeep escape), as the chapter global needs to be greater than 5.

But if you want the codes to console them in, they are these:
CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("TELMESS1")
CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("TELMESS2")
CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("TELAGENT")
CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("HARPMESS")
CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("TELFGHT1")
CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("STONEGOL")
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("TeldornMessSpawn","GLOBAL",1)
The last line makes sure that the encounter won't happen again.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 25 April 2009 - 05:32 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#11 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:26 AM

For reasons too embarassing to mention, I won't be able to transfer my weidu log file to this PC for another 4 weeks.

Did you install NTotSC v171, then? Nadalin should still talk to you, even if you've been to the Northern Coast.

It takes a village...

#12 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:36 AM

Did you install NTotSC v171, then? Nadalin should still talk to you, even if you've been to the Northern Coast.

I installed everything with a BWP install in November last year. Not sure which version, will have to get back to you as I'm not on my home pc.

Re teldorn-codes mentioned in earlier post:- I'm surprised - I'd thought that there was no stone golem and that these monster .cres appeared later on in the mod. Plus, after CLUAing 2 or so of the above creature codes and the harpmess body, I was disappointed to find to find no document and gave that up. I'll try again CLUAing all of the above codes and hope for the best(I'll wait until chapter 6 - yet, I was just rereading the stone of askavar readme this morning and remember it said chapter 3,not 6 - maybe it's an error of the readme, or the modder changed the chapter-origin without changing the readme.

Re nearinfinity:- I suppose I'll have to get used to it, but, as a technophobe, I found it infinitely more difficult to even get started than shadowkeeper. I think I have some sort of tutorial guide somewhere on my pc which may help a little.

#13 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

(New post as it concerns a different subject)

I'm also going to be playing the vault once the big bg1 mods are mostly completed. The trouble is that I got the demon knight appearing in the vestibule(which I think is the beginning of a vault quest) but got no further replies from the 2 priests there or keldath the head-priest. I'm supposed to go to a new area(I could find it via checking the are file in the relevant mod-folder, but don't want to break mod-continuity if I can help it.

Also, there are other mods within the vault I don't want to miss out on. Can anyone tell me how to get the (Vault) gullykin ogre/return to nashkel/mystery-intellectual mod-components started?

#14 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

I'm not sure what order you have done these (regarding Nsotsc, erebusant can correct me if these are out of order)but it should go like this:

1)Nadalin at docks in BG1 has a problem with monsters keeping him away from area.
2)Go to North sword coast and kill monsters then back to Nadalin.
3)He thanks you and goes to north sword coast by his boat.
4)When you have to go to Salamander island later you talk to him to get there.

Check melkors walkthru for more details.

Regarding the Stone of Askavar, I mentioned in another thread that you have to have finished the cloakwood mines (chapter 6). Then you can go to the middle of the Nashkel Pass map (on the road) and you will be attacked by the mercenaries. Then you get the note and find the guy in the Nashkel carnival underneath the tents in the middle of the map, etc., etc. (I had tried it earlier as well and it didn't start)

The Vault:

The "Vestibule quest" is tricky. You should not kill the group of red wizards in the forest east of Beregost or it will mess things up (they are part of the plot). When you start the quest, and the demon shows up and you kill em, be careful with the two priests there. Have a save before starting, because if one guy(can't remember his name) gets killed the other has "nothing more to say" without continuing the plot. Then you have to set some globals. The area you want after is the one with the red wizards.

The "Return to Nashkel" starts after you get the book for candlekeep from Duke Eltan. A guy approaches you to buy it (decline and he steals it) follow the clues to find him and it continues from there.

The "Return to Gullykin Quest" was probably my favorite (you'll see what I mean...) It starts when you go back there after Nashkel. There is a reception party waiting for you.

The mystery one requires you to have the vampire's revenge sword and talk to people who might know about its history. Try the temple in Beregost for info. Then you follow the clues.

I can't remember if they are also level dependent.

#15 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:01 AM

I'm not sure what order you have done these (regarding Nsotsc, erebusant can correct me if these are out of order)but it should go like this:

1)Nadalin at docks in BG1 has a problem with monsters keeping him away from area.
2)Go to North sword coast and kill monsters then back to Nadalin.
3)He thanks you and goes to north sword coast by his boat.
4)When you have to go to Salamander island later you talk to him to get there.

Check melkors walkthru for more details.

Regarding the Stone of Askavar, I mentioned in another thread that you have to have finished the cloakwood mines (chapter 6). Then you can go to the middle of the Nashkel Pass map (on the road) and you will be attacked by the mercenaries. Then you get the note and find the guy in the Nashkel carnival underneath the tents in the middle of the map, etc., etc. (I had tried it earlier as well and it didn't start)

The Vault:

The "Vestibule quest" is tricky. You should not kill the group of red wizards in the forest east of Beregost or it will mess things up (they are part of the plot). When you start the quest, and the demon shows up and you kill em, be careful with the two priests there. Have a save before starting, because if one guy(can't remember his name) gets killed the other has "nothing more to say" without continuing the plot. Then you have to set some globals. The area you want after is the one with the red wizards.

The "Return to Nashkel" starts after you get the book for candlekeep from Duke Eltan. A guy approaches you to buy it (decline and he steals it) follow the clues to find him and it continues from there.

The "Return to Gullykin Quest" was probably my favorite (you'll see what I mean...) It starts when you go back there after Nashkel. There is a reception party waiting for you.

The mystery one requires you to have the vampire's revenge sword and talk to people who might know about its history. Try the temple in Beregost for info. Then you follow the clues.

I can't remember if they are also level dependent.

Got that re NTOSC.Trouble with the stone of askavar mod is that I was in chapter 7 right then, in the right area/location and nothing worked re starting that quest. I guess I will have to CLUA in those creature codes and hope that one of them contains that letter.

Re red wizards:- I've already wasted thered wizards. Perhaps if I resurrect them via CLUAing their .cre codes, the quest will start working properly, as long as I CLUA in that demon-knight again into the vestibule. What is the particular demon-knight code for that 1st vestibule encounter?

I declined re book/return to nashkel quest but don't recall him ever giving me any clues at all, he merely admitted that he haqd nefarious motives re he book. Trouble is these megamods don't have any journal entries which means I can't keep track of data easily.

Re gullykin:- But I always visit gullykin after finishing the nashkel mines and never encountered the ogre. Well, I can try talking to every npc there. The mystery quest should be easy as I'll just CLUA in the code for the vampire's revenge sword.

#16 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:25 AM

Ok, not sure what the trouble is with Stone of Askavar but the scroll is ("SOAITM40") then go to Nashkel fair.

If you killed the wizards just clua all of them in again (same thing happened to me first time around). If you got the clues from the temple guys and the morninglord in main temple, and have killed the demon, then you don't have to clua him again (unless you want another sword heh, heh).

I had messed up the Nashkel book quest as well. Try a reload and refuse him and he should steal the book and lead you on a chase. This is the only way to get quest going. (In my previous game I switched books with him, which led to a dead end and nothing happened. There was supposed to be another guy at candlekeep entrance that continues plot but he had "nothing to say".)

The order I did it was:
1)Vestibule quest (for levels7-9)
2)Return to Nashkel (for levels 11+)
3)Return to Gullykin (for levels 5-7)

So you could actually do it 3,1,2 if it makes more sense. What I meant with Gullykin is to return there after the modded nashkel (or in Chapter 6 or 7), you should see a difference right away when you enter the map.

check this

and this

Edited by maximus2001, 26 April 2009 - 11:34 AM.

#17 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:48 AM

I already refused the guy re the return to nashkel quest. I guess I'll just have to go friendly arm inn/beregost then nashkel and see what happens.

Re soiatm40- odd I'd thought it was soaitm36 but that wasn't recognised - hope soiatm40 is OK.

#18 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:55 AM

Disaster(new problem):-

Occasionally, in some games, my lead PC or another npc develops a very serious bug. When I click on a spell such as fireball and then click on the area to target with the spell, the character wrongly walks all the way up to where the spell's target area is supposed to be and then fires off the spell right where he/she is- so, if it's a fireball that character gets blasted by the fire etc.

Now, the same bug has happened to my Faldorn NPC. I could reload an earlier savegame (1 3 mazes earlier doesn't have faldorn with that bug). The thing is that usually this bug (mostly) occurs if the character is blind or if the character is wearing a cursed item, but, after getting rid of faldorn's blindness via dispel magic, the bug continued. What puzzles me is that only power word blind gives permanent blindess but that's only to 6 hit dice characters and my faldorn npc is a 9th level fighter/mage/cleric-druid. I also, at the very start, had this bug happen to my PC triple-classed f/m/t character in candlekeep-prologue and had to restart the game all over again.

if anyone knows how to kill this bug, I'd be most grateful. It happens at random and my only cure is to go back to an earlier savegame and start all over again which is a damned nuisance.

#19 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:19 AM

If anyone knows how to kill this bug, I'd be most grateful. It happens at random and my only cure is to go back to an earlier savegame and start all over again which is a damned nuisance.

You should try to dispel the blindness with something that really cures the problem, one that should be able to is Heal spell, or Restoration spell, so if nothing else is available I would use...
CLUAConsole:CreateItem("scrlsd")
And cast the scroll on to the member.

Re teldorn-codes mentioned in earlier post:- I'm surprised - I'd thought that there was no stone golem and that these monster .cres appeared later on in the mod. Plus, after CLUAing 2 or so of the above creature codes and the harpmess body, I was disappointed to find to find no document and gave that up.

Well, I gave you the lastest versions codes, so it might be that as we do not know your mods versions... I had one install(a EasyTutu) and the encounter didn't care in which chapter I was in, so I ran into them even before I went to Nask... the mining town. So unless you installed the mod after you started the game and went to the area(ar3200), you should have met the encounter...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#20 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

Well if you have disasters shouldn't we have a peek at your weidu log? :Poke: Just a taste? :Tasty: Can you e-mail it to yourself from one computer to the other? Otherwise I think you have some major incompatibilities if your NPC's are having ridiculous behaviors none which I have ever seen in my games so it makes it next to impossible to "kill this bug" if we don't know where to start looking.

I don't want to give advice on something if I don't even have a 1% chance I could be correct.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant