Photo

Banter Bug

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 sanityisfortheweak

sanityisfortheweak
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

Hi people! I encountered a "banter bag" and need some of your professional Torment help: when I pass from one part of Sigil to another it often happens that when the party NPCs are talking with each other the game freezes but only after I click on the "click for more" button. Before that everything is ok (the audio is normal and the lines too), but the moment I click on that big blue button I have to restart the computer. By some strange twist of fate this only doesn't happen when Fall-from-Grace asks Annah "would she mind to do something with her hair" :blink: Help?

Edited by sanityisfortheweak, 30 April 2009 - 04:11 PM.

#2 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

Yikes. I have no idea what could cause that. First time I've heard of that happening.

Moving this to the Tweak Pack forum, just to keep things organized.

For the time being, the only thing I can suggest is to turn Party AI off (small button near the bottom right of the main screen). This will stop banters from triggering, so you can at least continue with your game.

If I may ask, how did you get as far as having both Annah and Grace in your party, if this happens in almost all banters? I'd think you couldn't progress much at all, unless you already knew about the Party AI trick?

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 30 April 2009 - 04:14 PM.

#3 sanityisfortheweak

sanityisfortheweak
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:39 PM

It started happening only after I reached clerks ward. I didn't even notice that something was wrong at first, but somewhere in the middle of acquiring a piece of Ravel I wondered why the game is always repeating the "why don't you do something with your hair" banter when I'm moving between the wards (I got it like 5-7 times in a row). And then it started. Every time Annah asks Grace "how many souls she has already sent to the abyss", Grace compliments Dak'kon on his skill or Morte asks Annah about her "if it was any thicker you wouldn't be able to breath" accent if you click on more button the game simply freezes. It became even more frequent after I made a single trip to Fell to check on some thief/dex tattoos. The good ol' alt+F4, alt+tab or ctrl+alt+del don't work either.

Also, one more thing started happening around the same time as the "banter bug": when I make a trip from any other map to the smoldering corpse map immediately after loading, the game opens the dialog with Grace. If you end the talk and don't move Nameless around the game continues to bring the dialog window in a 1-2 sec intervals each time you end it. I tested this glitch by traveling all around the place and it is exclusive to this area of Sigil (or my computer for that matter). But if you're quick enough and move your party the moment you ended the dialog it prevents this bug from occurring. Pausing the game also helps, but opening the inv/stat screens doesn't. I don't know if this bug is Grace-exclusive, but I'll try to leave her out for a time and see if it happens with any other NPC. Maybe I should start dumping party members or something.; tnx for the AI tip thou :)

As for how I progressed this "far", it's simple - I love replaying Torment and I'm stubborn as a pack of angry mules :D Especially when it comes to game bugs and such.

I'm currently in Ravels maze on my way to Curst with hopes that this was a glitch exclusive to Sigil, but it's becoming quite frustrating to play the game this way (combined with the nVidia glitches it's a full blown torment in torment; and I'm playing a mage for crying out loud :( ).

#4 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

Okay. What you're telling me sounds like what one other person reported before... for some reason, your game doesn't have the new variables required by my mods.

Just to be sure, can you email me your VAR.VAR file? It should be in your Torment directory. My email address is pescalona@verizon.net.

Qwinn

#5 sanityisfortheweak

sanityisfortheweak
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:03 PM

One varvar coming right up ^_^

#6 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:28 PM

Well, that was a bust. Your VAR.VAR seems fine. And looking around, it shouldn't be possible to keep getting that Grace/Annah banter repeatedly.

Can I ask you to send me BGRACE.DLG from the override directory? I should be able to see a problem there. If I don't... then I -am- pretty stumped.

Qwinn

#7 sanityisfortheweak

sanityisfortheweak
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:38 PM

Just a sec...

EDIT: Done.

Edited by sanityisfortheweak, 30 April 2009 - 08:41 PM.

#8 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

Aaaargh... need one more. Sorry. DANNAH.DLG.

(The BGRACE looks fine, but I can't tell till I see where it's directing to in your Annah file)

Qwinn

#9 sanityisfortheweak

sanityisfortheweak
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:00 PM

Here it comes.

#10 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:07 PM

What you sent me was DANNAHF.DLG :/ I need DANNAH.DLG. No "F" in it.

Qwinn

#11 sanityisfortheweak

sanityisfortheweak
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

Sorry, here's the right one.

#12 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:39 PM

Okay. There's nothing wrong with any of these files. If nothing else, there should be no way that you could get that same "Have you thought about doing something with your hair?" banter multiple times.

What you're describing really does sound, though, like what would happen if the necessary variables didn't exist. Particularly the bit where the Grace "Fell's parlor is around here, isn't it?" comment keeps replaying.

I am officially stumped :(

Wait... actually, check something for me. Is there another copy of VAR.VAR in your override directory somehow? Maybe that would override the one you sent me?

If that doesn't explain it, then I really am -totally- stumped.

Qwinn

EDIT: Actually, even that probably wouldn't explain your getting the Grace-Annah "hair" banter multiple times, since the key variable there exists in the vanilla game. So bizarre.

Edited by Qwinn, 30 April 2009 - 09:41 PM.

#13 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:42 PM

Wait... is there any chance that you installed mods -after- you started the current game you're on? Like, you started up a game without many mods, then you installed a bunch, then you loaded up a save game that was created before install?

In many cases, that shouldn't be a problem... but if they were mods that add variables, that might well explain it.

Qwinn

#14 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:43 PM

Okay, I think I have a way to check against that. If you could, send me a copy of a saved game where you've been having these problems. I should be able to check if it contains the variables in question.

Qwinn

#15 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:55 PM

Okay, checked it out, and yeah, what you're experiencing is entirely possible if what you did was start a new game, THEN installed the fixpack, then loaded a game from prior to installing the Fixpack. Installing the Fixpack requires you to start a new game. Any chance that's what happened?

Qwinn

#16 sanityisfortheweak

sanityisfortheweak
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:54 PM

Okay. There's nothing wrong with any of these files. If nothing else, there should be no way that you could get that same "Have you thought about doing something with your hair?" banter multiple times.

What you're describing really does sound, though, like what would happen if the necessary variables didn't exist. Particularly the bit where the Grace "Fell's parlor is around here, isn't it?" comment keeps replaying.

&

Wait... is there any chance that you installed mods -after- you started the current game you're on? Like, you started up a game without many mods, then you installed a bunch, then you loaded up a save game that was created before install?

In many cases, that shouldn't be a problem... but if they were mods that add variables, that might well explain it.

Qwinn

I found one save in which immediately upon load Grace asks you about the Fell's parlor and the screen goes black (at times the game crashes too). I'll mail that one to you right now. As for the other saves I'll have to look for them. Some time earlier this week I formatted windows and uninstalled torment (but PST was on other partition anyway so it wasn't affected at all). When I reinstalled the game I chose to set the banter accelerator to max value (longest time between the banters) to avoid the game sneak attacking me and crashing along with it as much as possible and posted my problem on this forum just in case if all else fails that some mod pro (like you) would help; but I can't find any save where the banter bug happens now. I'll reinstall once again with all the parameters set as for the first install (when the problems started) and load the game in such environment. Hopefully I'll send you an exemplary bug save for you to temper with it ;)

Wait... actually, check something for me. Is there another copy of VAR.VAR in your override directory somehow? Maybe that would override the one you sent me?

Nope, just checked it. No varvars in override directory.

Okay, checked it out, and yeah, what you're experiencing is entirely possible if what you did was start a new game, THEN installed the fixpack, then loaded a game from prior to installing the Fixpack. Installing the Fixpack requires you to start a new game. Any chance that's what happened?

Qwinn

No, as much as I recall I installed&upgraded torment this way:

1 Install the game
2 Apply official 1.1 patch
3 Install UB
4 Install Fixpack
5 Install Tweaks
6 Enjoy torment (as if! :( )

But after the reinstall I did use some of the older saves.

Okay, I think I have a way to check against that. If you could, send me a copy of a saved game where you've been having these problems. I should be able to check if it contains the variables in question.

Qwinn

Except for the save I already said I'll mail you, I was unable to find any other save so far in the past of my latest adventures in planescape. All the rest of 'em (Quick, Auto and one "manual" save) were saved while in the Ravels maze (which I cannot go through because the game slowsdown terribly during the cutscene with the Transcendent One and crashes every time Rave casts blacksphere; but that's the problem for the "nVidia thread"). l'll look for them some more.

So bizarre.

Indeed.

EDIT: I was wondering about some other thing thou: is it possible that changing the iso files with daemon could mess up a bit the game files (because it requires to start+d or alt+tab the game in the middle of the load)? Maybe that's causing a part of the problem (cause on several occasions I had this glitch that torment became "not responding" when I jumped to desktop to change image files as requested by the game). Hm?

Edited by sanityisfortheweak, 01 May 2009 - 12:29 AM.

#17 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:19 AM

3 Install UB
4 Install Fixpack

Well, that right there is cause for concern. Generally, the Fixpack should always be installed first. Could that be the cause of the problems you're listing? Quite possibly.

I gotta get some sleep, but tomorrow I will go over your save game and see if I can duplicate your issues.

EDIT: I was wondering about some other thing thou: is it possible that changing the iso files with daemon could mess up a bit with (because it requires to start+d or alt+tab the game in the middle of the load)? Maybe that's causing a part of the problem (cause on several occasions I had this glitch that torment became "not responding" when I jumped to desktop to change image files as requested by the game). Hm?

I am ashamed to say that I have no experience with iso files, daemon, or changing image files. I've heard of these things, of course, but I really don't know anything about them or why you would use them. Sorry.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 01 May 2009 - 12:22 AM.

#18 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:31 AM

Ok, I took a quick look before going to bed.

According to this save game, you've still yet to experience the "Annah, have you thought about doing something with your hair?" banter. Is that the case? Or is this after you got it a bunch of times?

Note that while the Fixpack -should- definitely be installed before UB, the more I think about it the more I doubt it could've been the cause of all these issues. Cause if it were, then I should've seen some problem in the other files you sent me, but they really seem fine. So I am still kinda stumped.

It's actually -possible- that you could do the UB Then Fixpack install order and have everything go fine... I've just never tested it that way. I moved the creation of variables all to the Fixpack in my last version, so that people could uninstall UB or the Tweak Pack without causing their save games to blow up. Could that be responsible? Well, all the variables seem to be here, and as I said looking at the dialogue files, they look fine, so I have no idea what's going on :(

Ya know what, just to be safe, send me your weidu.log? Or cut and paste the contents to a post in this thread. That's usually the first thing I ask for, but forgot to this time. Maybe the problem will be apparent there.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 01 May 2009 - 12:53 AM.

#19 sanityisfortheweak

sanityisfortheweak
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:09 AM

Ok, I took a quick look before going to bed.

According to this save game, you've still yet to experience the "Annah, have you thought about doing something with your hair?" banter. Is that the case? Or is this after you got it a bunch of times?

Note that while the Fixpack -should- definitely be installed before UB, the more I think about it the more I doubt it could've been the cause of all these issues. Cause if it were, then I should've seen some problem in the other files you sent me, but they really seem fine. So I am still kinda stumped.

It's actually -possible- that you could do the UB Then Fixpack install order and have everything go fine... I've just never tested it that way. I moved the creation of variables all to the Fixpack in my last version, so that people could uninstall UB or the Tweak Pack without causing their save games to blow up. Could that be responsible? Well, all the variables seem to be here, and as I said looking at the dialogue files, they look fine, so I have no idea what's going on :(

Ya know what, just to be safe, send me your weidu.log? Or cut and paste the contents to a post in this thread. That's usually the first thing I ask for, but forgot to this time. Maybe the problem will be apparent there.

Qwinn

Yes it's one of the few saves (I'm still looking for the rest) that survived my schism against the banter bug. But I don't think you're right there about the "save chronology" - I checked the assigned quest entries for that save and only the "find Ravel" quest was on the list...and that means that I already journeyed several times across both wards and probably did the UnderSigil too (before embarking to Ravel/Curst). So I'm pretty sure that the annah-grace thing occurred before that save... Here's te log you requested:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-PST-UB.TP2~ #0 #0 // All Recommended PS:T Unfinished Business Components: v3.01
~SETUP-PST-UB.TP2~ #0 #50 // Expanded Deionarra's Truth Mod: v3.01
~SETUP-PST-FIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // PS:T Ultimate WeiDU Fixpack, by Qwinn: v3.02
~SETUP-PST-FIX.TP2~ #0 #1 // Dialogue Spelling/Grammar Corrections (English Only): v3.02
~SETUP-PST-FIX.TP2~ #0 #4 // Subtitled Cutscenes: v3.02
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #1 // Banter Accelerator? If so, Choose interval between banters. -> Interparty Banter Every 6 game hours (30 minutes) <Recommended>: v3.51
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #7 // Stackable Rings, Charms, Bracelets, Scrolls: v3.51
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #8 // Scale of Souls: v3.51
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #10 // Save Nordom! Tweak: v3.51
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #20 // Early Glabrezus Tweak: v3.51

#20 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:14 AM

Ok. If you already experienced that banter, then I'm totally stumped, because the second line of that banter should be incrementing the "Grace_Talked_Annah" variable to 3 so it never happens again. (and that is the last banter between them, so you should never see another). But it's still set to 2 in that save game, meaning you should still be able to get it again.

When you got that banter, were you getting the second line, which is Annah saying "Oh, sizing our necks up for a feast, are you?" Or was it getting interrupted at that "Click for More" like you were saying?

Qwinn