Fog of war Bug

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 -Palpatine_19-

-Palpatine_19-

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:51 PM

Hey everyone,

I just did a clean install (4 disk ed) and downloaded all of the patches (1.1, and all Quinn patches) and I'm having a problem when starting a new game:

Whenever I move around my characters the fog of war (black cloud that usually should go away once you explore an area in the game) re-appears when i move away from a given spot. It's really annoying, and I'm not really sure how to fix this problem.

Anyone else encounter an issue like this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

#2 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:01 PM

Is the new "fog of war" transparent? Or solid black?

If it's transparent, that's the way it's supposed to be. You can still see any permanent fixtures in an area you've previously viewed, but you can't see the details such as any creatures walking around that area unless you have someone close enough to actually see them.

Qwinn

#3 -Palpatine_19-

-Palpatine_19-

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:15 PM

If it's transparent, that's the way it's supposed to be. You can still see any permanent fixtures in an area you've previously viewed, but you can't see the details such as any creatures walking around that area unless you have someone close enough to actually see them.

Qwinn

The "fog of war" was black (not transparent) at the beginning of the game. However, once I got out of the first area (where you kill the zombie w/ the key) the bug seemed to have gone away. Hopefully it stays that way.

Thanks for the quick response!

#4 -Palpatine_19-

-Palpatine_19-

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:18 PM

Qwinn

The "fog of war" was black (not transparent) at the beginning of the game. However, once I got out of the first area (where you kill the zombie w/ the key) the bug seemed to have gone away. Hopefully it stays that way.

Thanks for the quick response!

UPDATE: Ugh, the bug seems to have come back when I reloaded the game :( It's weird, sometimes characters in the game are viewable through the black "fog" even though the environment is not.

#5 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:20 PM

Very weird. You are playing in 640x480? Not using widescreen mod or any other mods like that?

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 04 May 2009 - 07:29 PM.

#6 -Palpatine_19-

-Palpatine_19-

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:23 PM

Very weird. You are playing in 640x480? Not using widescreen mod or any other mods like that?

Qwinn

Yeah, I'm running in the default resolution. Also, I did the full-install (copied CD contents), but I wouldn't think that would be what caused it.

Do you think I should just try and reinstall?

#7 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:27 PM

Eh. It strikes me more likely to be a video card/driver problem. What kind of video?

Other than nudging you in that direction, I'm afraid I'm unlikely to be much more helpful regarding this.

Getting some sleep, so don't stay up for my response (which probably won't add much anyway, I'm afraid :(

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 04 May 2009 - 07:29 PM.

#8 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:27 PM

Noticed this thread over at the Ars forums, I suspect it might help.

http://episteme.arst...002308931/inc/1

I believe the fix they're referring to is here:

http://www.shsforums...showtopic=30840

And no, the install order shouldn't matter.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 05 May 2009 - 04:30 PM.