Centeol from BG1-- What was their relationship?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 -Silencer150-

-Silencer150-

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:22 PM

I have an unusual question that I wasn't sure where else to ask, but it seemed that the LR mod team has the most familiarity with Jon's biography, so I thought I'd post it here.

I was playing through Baldur's Gate Tutu and making my way through Cloakwood. I was in the second map, the one with all the spiders, and I remembered the spider queen Centeol from earlier playthroughs. I hadn't given the dialogue much thought before, until I decided to ask her this time, "How have you come to dwell here, in this dreary abode?"

Her answer surprised me, since I hadn't played BG1 in a long time, and normally I just nuke her with Fireballs anyway. She said, "I am cursssed. The archmage, Jon Irenicus, cursed me for indignities done to him and his wife by me. I loved Jon, but now I hate him, as I hate you and everything. Spiderssss... kill them all."

Is there something I'm missing here? Jon Irenicus had a wife? Was she talking about Ellesime? If so, what was Centeol's involvement with them and how long ago would this have taken place? I swear I don't recall Jon ever mentioning anything about a woman he cursed to live among the spiders, whether in SoA or the LR mod. :blink:

#2 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:47 AM

But I only had eyes for one man, Jon Icarus. He was a great and powerful wizard, the only man worthy of my affections, or so I thought. Though I lusted for Jon, he cared little for me, for he had another to whom he was married, lady Tanova.

- Bsldur's Gate I, centeo.dlg file

There have never been said that Jon Icarus is Jon Irenicus. Names are similar but noone can be sure that it is he. Centeol mentioned Tanova who is one of Bodhi's servants.

Edited by Lava Del'Vortel, 17 May 2009 - 12:47 AM.

#3 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:19 AM

Don't look for continuity. Just don't.

Baldur's Gate is full of contradictions. In BG1, remember that letter you got from Gorion that explained everything about your mother? Well, that all changed in BG2, didn't it? And then it changed again in ToB. The explanation for that inconsistency was "we forgot."

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#4 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:20 PM

But, if we all knew such contradictions, perhaps modders could bring continuity in the trilogy. :D

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 17 May 2009 - 08:22 PM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#5 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:30 PM

There have never been said that Jon Icarus is Jon Irenicus. Names are similar but noone can be sure that it is he. Centeol mentioned Tanova who is one of Bodhi's servants.

You do get an interesting journal entry if you charm her into telling you their story:

When we charmed the huge bloated creature that called herself Centeol, we were told an interesting story. It seems she was cursed to her current shape by a powerful mage called Jon Icarus. We don't know what any of this has to do with the adventure we're on right now, but you never can know. Perhaps it will come in useful in a sequel.

;)

Edited by Daulmakan, 17 May 2009 - 09:30 PM.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#6 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:08 PM

There have never been said that Jon Icarus is Jon Irenicus. Names are similar but noone can be sure that it is he.

I could be wrong, but something reminds me, that Jon Icarus and Jon Irenicus are the same person (like the journal entry shows) and Jon Icarus was the first selected name from BioWare and they changed it for BG2. Why, I can't remember...

[Edit]

Found something from devSin:

Jon Icarus was the original name for Irenicus (it's even in the contract between Interplay and BioWare for developing BG2).

But, I couldn't found, why they changed the name. Perhaps the meanings of Icarus was their problem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icarus_(disambiguation)

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 18 May 2009 - 11:27 PM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World