Old player, new questions!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:01 AM

Of course, I rather cleverly/stupidly merged all the overrides I used into one convenient RAR file that could just be expanded into the Overrides folder easily next time I played. Great idea, huh? Yeah...just great...except that I didn't keep a record of which mods they were!

Open the game folder, and look for file called WeiDU.log, and open it with Notepad... 's why one shouldn't overrider the override folder alone, but the data folder, override folder, the dialog.tlk, CHITIN.KEY and BGMain.exe+ the old WeiDU.log !

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 27 May 2009 - 12:03 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#22 Robin Hood

Robin Hood
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:43 PM

Okay, I've now spent about an hour figuring out what was in my merged Override folder that I mentioned above, and another couple of hours figuring out that nearly all of it was redundant at this point, given the mods I intend to play. In the end, I've decided to keep it fairly simple. If I want to play yet another time after I'm done this one, I'll probably get more adventurous. So here's what I decided to use:

SOA/TOB (duh!)
Official Patch (again, duh!)
BG2 FixPack
--> then used Near Inifinity to modify AR0406.BCS to restore Joluv
Shut Up "You Must Gather Your Party Before Venturing Forth" WAV file replacement
Unfinished Business
Level 1 NPCs (boy this is hard to do on a DOS screen, and very long as well when you're still trying to figure out what you wanna play!)
1ppv2.70
1ppv3: Avatar Fixes

And with those installed, I want to thank everybody for their suggestions. This thread is bookmarked, and if I re-play (or re-start because I made stupid choices due to not remembering the game well), I'll definitely come back to it an try some other stuff. :)

Edit: I also tried the Widescreen mod, but I found everything much too small, especially the text, so I reverted to 800 x 600, which looks just fine for me.

Edited by Robin Hood, 30 May 2009 - 05:32 PM.

#23 Robin Hood

Robin Hood
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:51 PM

Of course, I rather cleverly/stupidly merged all the overrides I used into one convenient RAR file that could just be expanded into the Overrides folder easily next time I played. Great idea, huh? Yeah...just great...except that I didn't keep a record of which mods they were!

Open the game folder, and look for file called WeiDU.log, and open it with Notepad... 's why one shouldn't overrider the override folder alone, but the data folder, override folder, the dialog.tlk, CHITIN.KEY and BGMain.exe+ the old WeiDU.log !

They weren't WeiDU mods, so WeiDU.log wouldn't have helped, even if I had had my old game folder to look at. This was just a RAR'd copy of all the "copy to override folder" mods that I used to use. I eventually figured them all out, though. Most of them came from Baldurdash's recommended list, so it wasn't too hard. The hardest one to figure out was one that I'd hand-altered, but amusingly, I found one of my own posts from just over 5 years ago explaining the issue (Wakizashi +1 is NON-magical in an unmodded game).

#24 Robin Hood

Robin Hood
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:13 PM

Off topic from anything...until today, I'd been getting my posts to this thread in a flat format. Now I see only the original post with threaded message headers at the bottom. I certainly didn't change anything, nor can I find anywhere in my control panel that controls this. Is this just because the thread got too large, or is it something I have control over somewhere I haven't found yet?

#25 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:15 PM

You've probably accidentally changed how you see threads. In the top right corner of the thread, you'll see "Options"; click it, and then select "Standard".

#26 Robin Hood

Robin Hood
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:30 PM

You've probably accidentally changed how you see threads. In the top right corner of the thread, you'll see "Options"; click it, and then select "Standard".

D'oh! Thank you! I was looking in the control panel for something site-wide, not something at the top of the thread.

#27 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:39 AM

--> then used Near Inifinity to modify AR0406.BCS to restore Joluv
Shut Up "You Must Gather Your Party Before Venturing Forth" WAV file replacement

You can find those fixes in BG2Tweakpack.

Unfinished Business
Level 1 NPCs (boy this is hard to do on a DOS screen, and very long as well when you're still trying to figure out what you wanna play!)
1ppv2.70

You would wish to install them in this order then:
BG2+plah.+ patch.
BG2 FixPack
1ppv2.70
Unfinished Business
BG2Tweakpack
Level 1 NPCs

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#28 Robin Hood

Robin Hood
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:25 AM

You can find those fixes in BG2Tweakpack.

Yeah, but the BG2 Tweak Pack had way too many other changes that I didn't want, nor did I want to go through them selectively. It was easier just to make these two simple changes.

You would wish to install them in this order then:
BG2+plah.+ patch.
BG2 FixPack
1ppv2.70
Unfinished Business
BG2Tweakpack
Level 1 NPCs

Okay, why should UB and Level 1 NPCs come after the 1ppv changes? I wouldn't have expected any difference for something that AFAIK only mods the graphics. Or was the switch-around more to do with the tweak pack?

Besides...it's too late now! :)