• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 EpitomyofShyness

EpitomyofShyness
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:54 PM

Here's the deal, I want to play a monk.

I don't want to be lawful.

Is there a simple way I could alter the game to allow me to play a non-lawful monk? Like editing something in the tool-set? Or is there a mod I couldn't find since I didn't look hard enough?

#2 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:50 AM

*oops* I answered the question without looking which forum it was in. Ignore me!

Edited by Cal Jones, 05 June 2009 - 09:51 AM.

#3 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:34 AM

Here's the deal, I want to play a monk.

I don't want to be lawful.

Is there a simple way I could alter the game to allow me to play a non-lawful monk? Like editing something in the tool-set? Or is there a mod I couldn't find since I didn't look hard enough?

You'd need to edit the file classes.2da in the 2DA folder. A couple of the entries are for permitted alignments, AlignRestrict and another I don't remember. Find the Monk line and alter that to whatever you want. I'm pretty certain that changing it to 0 will mean there's no alignment restrictions at all, but I'll have to check when I'm at a PC with NWN2 installed.

Edit:
And I'm wrong. To remove all restrictions on the Monk alignment replace the 0x05 entry (not Neutral not Chaotic) with 0x00 (no restriction). The other entry is AlignRstrctType, and is acceptable as it is. If you want some other alignment restriction, let me know and I'll find it.

The 2da folder with classes.2da is in your NWN2 folder in Program files, under a folder titled Data. I suggest backing it up first before doing any editing.

Edited by Bluenose, 05 June 2009 - 11:29 AM.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#4 EpitomyofShyness

EpitomyofShyness
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:55 PM

I suggest backing it up first before doing any editing.

Um... how do you edit files? :unsure:

I tried fooling around (did back it up) and I was able to open it but I couldn't edit anything!

Wasn't this difficult back in the days of Baldur's Gate... <_<

By the way I do have the GFFEditor from the vault but that couldn't even open the 2DA folder/file thingy.

#5 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:53 PM

It's been a while since I did any messing around with NWN2, but...I think this how you do it. Find the 2DA file called "classes." Make a copy of it to your desktop. Open the one on your desktop and what you're looking for is the columns "AlignRestrict" and "AlignRstrctType." (This is MUCH easier to find if you copy/paste the whole document into excel because in notepad the columns don't line up.) For monks, the default is 0x05 and 0x1 - I believe if you change it to 0x00 and 0x0 it will no longer require the use of a lawful character. Keep in mind, this is an educated guess. :lol: Once you've hunted down and changed that, save the copy (make sure it's in notepad) and you'll want to put this copy into your "override" folder (I use the one in Program Files, not the My Documents one - but if one doesn't work, try the other too). This is the same method I used to get rid of the default level gimps imposed on some races (can't remember what the thing's called, like I said, been a while). I hope that works. :)

Oh, and if you have MotB, you probably need to use the "classes" file from 2DA_X1 - I don't have SoZ so I have no clue what the 2DA for that is called...if all else fails, I believe there is a mod that enables you to manage your alignment by giving or taking away lawful/chaotic and good/evil points. You could install that and just keep giving yourself lawful points so you don't lose the use of your monk skills.

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#6 EpitomyofShyness

EpitomyofShyness
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:56 PM

Bah! I always thought most alignment restrictions were wonky anyways! And the level adjusment is stupid to... Not sure how to eliminate that though. <_<

I'll try your way before cheating for law points, it's not too hard I was just hoping to play my characters alignment without having to cheat but whatever... Maybe I should just aim for Weapon Master instead... :wacko:

#7 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:11 PM

Just fyi, you'll find it hard to RP chaotic and keep that alignment, unless you're also evil. Mask of the Betrayer is much better about this, but in NWN2 vanilla, the two main alignments are LG and CE.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#8 EpitomyofShyness

EpitomyofShyness
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:01 PM

Quite contrary I found it very easy to play CG. But ah well. There are definitely conversations where you become evil for saying certain things and I'm like, "WTF???"

Namely fighting Lorne is a great example, why the heck would you become evil for first saying that 'No I will not kill an unarmed personage.' and then after he gives that completely dastardly answer if you change your mind and say "Then I will send you to the abyss MTRFKR!!!!" you move 10 points towards evil! Why?! Why I say?! Anyways sorry for the off topicness. I'm done now.

#9 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:13 PM

To turn off the level adjustments, just do the same as above with the "racialsubtypes" file and change all the numbers under the ECL column to 0. Put in the override folder and you're set.

I also found playing CG to be easy. :)

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#10 EpitomyofShyness

EpitomyofShyness
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:48 PM

I must be doing something wrong. <_<

I copied classes.2da into an excel sheet, found the Monk column, altered the variables to be 0x00 and 0x0 and then put it into Notepad, named it classes.2da and put it into my Override folder in the Program files area. Voila! NOT!!! :doh:

AARRRGGG!!!! :wall: Most alignment restrictions are stupid to begin with! I've never really understood most of them...

So. What am I doing wrong?

By the by, thanks for all your help Aeryn. :hug: Even though I just can't figure out what to do...

#11 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

Let me play with it a few minutes and I'll see what I can come up with. ^_^

Attached Files

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#12 EpitomyofShyness

EpitomyofShyness
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

Let me play with it a few minutes and I'll see what I can come up with. ^_^

Thanks! :D

#13 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:54 PM

Okay, this worked for me. Download and extract this RAR and put the 2DA into your Program Files path Override folder. Let me know if it works. ^_^

Edit: If it doesn't work, let me know what version you're using.

Attached Files

Edited by Aeryn, 05 June 2009 - 07:55 PM.

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#14 EpitomyofShyness

EpitomyofShyness
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:53 PM

You're awesome. :cheers:

It works great. I, apparently, am just incapable of doing things like this. <_<

#15 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:56 PM

lol don't worry, I have a lot of trial-and-error experience with NWN2 2DA stuff. Mostly error. :P

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship