Class Ideas

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Menelanna

Menelanna
  • 3006 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:34 AM

Hey people! Remember me?

Well I have come to ask a little advise. I am responsible for trying to make a new char in my current 3.5 DnD campaign. This char will have high cha and high str (she is half-elf half-dragon weretiger pretty much.) I would like some type of fighter/sorcerer type class, but without needing to go for a prestige class or duel classing. The level agustment on this char is going to make getting class lvls hard enough as it is.

So....any ideas?

Edited by Menelanna, 06 June 2009 - 11:36 AM.

Steel is my body, fire is my blood.
I've created over a thousand blades
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
So as i pray, "Unlimited Blade Works."--Archer from Fate/Stay Night

Posted Image
Signature done by Sinharvest. thanks!

Interested in great fanstay Role Play? Come join Imythess the Border Between Dreams and Choas.
(should you join feel free to contact me. my main account it Fara're. hope to see you there :D)

#2 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:59 PM

Hey people! Remember me?

Well I have come to ask a little advise. I am responsible for trying to make a new char in my current 3.5 DnD campaign. This char will have high cha and high str (she is half-elf half-dragon weretiger pretty much.) I would like some type of fighter/sorcerer type class, but without needing to go for a prestige class or duel classing. The level agustment on this char is going to make getting class lvls hard enough as it is.

So....any ideas?

Are you asking for existing classes or suggestions for how to approach a new one?

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#3 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:29 AM

Hey people! Remember me?

So....any ideas?

Any limit on acceptable sources? I can think of a couple of Warrior/Sorcerer classes that use Strength and Charisma in various books. Which I'll have to look up, if I need to remember which ones.

Otherwise there's the Duskblade (PHB2), but that's Strength/Intelligence. d10 hit dice, full BAB, pretty good spellcasting, up to heavy armour at higher levels. If your DM would buy an alternative that used Charisma instead of Intelligence, which I don't think would overpower it, that could be the way to try. A Bard might be possible, but you don't have full BAB and a d6 hit dice is not optimal.

Beyond that, there's the Favoured Soul (CD). That's divine magic, and lacks full BAB, but it makes a pretty good warrior/spellcaster by default. It might be workable.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#4 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:00 PM

Hexblade is another option-it's also Str/Cha, if I remember correctly, another gish class. Dragonfire Adept as well-it's like a draconic warlock, but more party-friendly.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#5 Menelanna

Menelanna
  • 3006 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

I actually have looked at all the classes mentioned. The Duskblade seemed a good choice for this char, if my DM will let it be Cha based instead of Int. Hexblade is more geared for an evil char...which this char will not be. But I am leaning towards the Dragonfire Adept...that class is just awesome. And this char already has fire breath as her dragon type is gold.

I will be having a chat with my DM this Friday discus this char.
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.

Posted Image

Interested in great fanstay Role Play? Come join Imythess the Border Between Dreams and Choas.
(should you join feel free to contact me. my main account it Fara're. hope to see you there :D)

#6 Menelanna

Menelanna
  • 3006 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:25 AM

Well I made her with my DM yesterday. And after rolling up her stats and chatting with him. I decided to go down the enlightened fist road. I know totally different from what I was planning before. Her stats are insane....when we played later that day our friend was afraid of her. (but then again he is afraid of alot of things)

Well....I think I will give you her stats and her build. Here she is.

Name: Allaselina
Race: elven weretiger with lots of draconic blood (mom was elf weretiger (my main char) and the dad was an elf golden half dragon_
Hair: Gold
Eyes: Siver
Skin: Silver fur with golden draconic scales under (i can explain how this happened but it would take half a page...), light tan in elf form
Level: Effective lvl 21, weretiger 3, tiger 6, sorceror 3, monk 2, enlightened fist 7

now for the stats:
Str 29, 41(in wereform)
Dex 31 35(were)
Con 12 23 (were)
Int 12
Wis 12
Cha 44

Feats/Abilities:
Alertness, Improved bite, imporved claw, stunning fist, improved unarmed strike, flurry of blows, evasion, deflect arrow, multi attack, ki claws, ascetic monk, low light x4, dark vision 60 ft, breath weapon fire, tiger empathy, improved grab, rake, scent, ki strike (magic), Fist of Energy (burst), arcane fist, practice spellcaster, damage reduction 10/silver, damage reduction (epic) 3/-, Draconic heritage

Langs:
Common, elven, and draconic

AC: 46 51 (were)
HP:142 196 (were)

i still need to choose my spell on my own time. But kinda messed up huh?
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.

Posted Image

#7 EpitomyofShyness

EpitomyofShyness
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:30 AM

i still need to choose my spell on my own time. But kinda messed up huh?

Tis quite intimidating. Wouldn't want to be someone or something fighting her.

#8 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:12 AM

She's intimidating on paper, but at effective level 21... she's a paper tiger. Looks threatening and nasty on paper, but the amount of time she'd last against folks who know what they're doing would be measured in seconds. Frankly, there are *significantly* easier builds that are far, far more powerful, and more versatile, even if their stats seem to be far lower. Allaselina would be horribly outclassed by your average level 21 character-the rule of coolness doesn't get you very far when you're facing, say, a level 21 human cleric, no multiclassing or templates involved. Much less a character designed to *be* powerful.

No offense meant by that, Mene, and I hope you have fun with her, but having had a great deal of experience with epic campaigns, Allaselina is significantly less powerful than I'd expect a player character to be at that level, and would be much more of a hindrance to a party of more typical epic characters than an asset.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#9 Menelanna

Menelanna
  • 3006 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:28 AM

I understand that Temp...but you also have no idea what the rest of the party is like. We have an adult silver dragon in our party (who has made a pact with me and sees me as a surogate mother O.o) We have a nine tailed Kitsune. A half-dragon warlock, who has the soul of an ancient silver dragon bonded to him. Me a weretiger monk. And a favored soul at lvl 21. And I wont even go into what insane changes explosions of magical energy has done to us.

The half dragon and I have legacy weapons designed specifically for us. My kid also just got one of these legacy items (DM still has not told us what it does yet...) The kitsune, the favored soul, and the half-dragon have amulets which turn them into a half-solar once a week. Which now that amulet has fused with the half-dragon....so he can morph into a half solar at any point.

Allaselina is my char's kid. She is just a secondary char and I built her in a way that seemed most natural for her (given the fact she was raised around dragons...) But believe me when I say I left out the scariest parts of our party. Our CR is much higher than our actual level. (most things cant even HIT my char)

Edited by Menelanna, 13 June 2009 - 09:32 AM.

Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.

Posted Image

#10 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:00 PM

Not meaning to be a downer, but... if you're in combat at all in that level range, you and your foes are doing something wrong unless your foe is a templated tarrasque or a hecatoncheires. Weapons themselves are fancy toys at that range. Your average level 21 character could utterly destroy your party without ever making you roll for initiative.

On the other hand, it sounds like you aren't playing anything remotely resembling a typical epic-level campaign, so I hope you have fun.

#11 Satori

Satori
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:54 AM

SINGLE-class with fighter/mage-ish abilities, and Cha based?  Bard w/snowflake wardance or Hexblade is all i can think of.

And yeah, in epic, anyone who doesn't have Epic Spellcasting or Epic Manifesting is basically a meat puppet.
Stormtroopers canonically find Ewoks more frightening than Lord Vader. - my contribution to Ewok wank