Photo

Ultimate Planescape: Torment installation guide

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#21 -Eyaldourn-

-Eyaldourn-

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:05 AM

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post about this issue, but alas:

Whenever I install the various fan-made components mentioned in the installation guide, I can no longer run the game, because somehow the game no longer detects the CD in the drive.

I've copied the entire CD2 folder to CDALL, but it didn't work prior to doing that either. I have a 2 CD version of Planescape Torment, so all paths in the .ini pointed to CD2, instead of up to CD4 (or 5, it seems).

I usually have no problem with getting an older game to work without a CD in the drive, usually after copying the files, but I'm puzzled as to why Planescape Torment won't work.

There's a torment.cd file in the CDALL folder now, as it was on CD2, but I doubt that's the problem.

There's also the possibility that I somehow ruined my CD after playing for an hour yesterday, but the vanilla version worked like a charm and detected the CD.

Any help would be appreciated.

#22 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:50 AM

Maybe you've made a mistake while editing the ini. My ini file looks like this :

[Alias]
HD0:=c:\games\Torment
CD1:=F:\cd1
CD2:=C:\Games\Torment\TDATA\cd2
CD3:=C:\Games\Torment\TDATA\cd3
CD4:=C:\Games\Torment\TDATA\cd4

F is the CD drive. Whatever you do the game will always look for CD2 in the cd drive. You could also try making an image of your cd2 into your HD and then mount it on a virtual drive. (that's what I have done, although you may have to re-install the game from the virtual drive)

#23 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:13 AM

Ghostdog:

Just thought I'd point out, the guide's got a really good tip for 4CD users... copy CD2 thru CD4 into a single directory called CDALL or somesuch, then point the Torment.ini CD2 thru CD4 to that. There really is a whole lot of duplication going on, to reduce the need for disk switching, but on a full install that's totally unnecessary. Saved about 500 megs on my hard drive that way.

Qwinn

#24 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:34 AM

Ghostdog:

Just thought I'd point out, the guide's got a really good tip for 4CD users... copy CD2 thru CD4 into a single directory called CDALL or somesuch, then point the Torment.ini CD2 thru CD4 to that. There really is a whole lot of duplication going on, to reduce the need for disk switching, but on a full install that's totally unnecessary. Saved about 500 megs on my hard drive that way.

Qwinn

hmm, that's good advice, especially if you have multiple installs of pst.

#25 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:58 AM

hmm, that's good advice, especially if you have multiple installs of pst.

Actually, far as I can tell, if you have multiple installs of pst, there's no reason to duplicate the CD directories. All your various installs should be able to share, and point to, the same CD2 thru CD4 directories. They never get altered - any changes go into the override directory of your specific install. So maybe save even more room that way.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 14 July 2009 - 10:58 AM.

#26 -Eyaldourn-

-Eyaldourn-

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

OK, it seems the problem is a bit different than what I stated earlier.

The game does ask for CD2 when I try to boot the game and does detect it (I had the CD2 in the drive, so I didn't notice).

The company movies play as they should, and the main menu loads. I can go to character creation, but if I accept the character, the game asks for CD2 (which is, of course, in the drive). Alt-F4 doesn't do much, and I have to exit through the task manager or alt-tabbing and closing the application via the taskbar.

It is like a single file is missing, or is somehow no longer loaded, blocking the game's intro from playing.

#27 -Eyaldourn-

-Eyaldourn-

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

OK, it seems the problem is a bit different than what I stated earlier.

The game does ask for CD2 when I try to boot the game and does detect it (I had the CD2 in the drive, so I didn't notice).

The company movies play as they should, and the main menu loads. I can go to character creation, but if I accept the character, the game asks for CD2 (which is, of course, in the drive). Alt-F4 doesn't do much, and I have to exit through the task manager or alt-tabbing and closing the application via the taskbar.

It is like a single file is missing, or is somehow no longer loaded, blocking the game's intro from playing.

Another thing I only just noticed: After seeing a few frames of The Nameless One being moved on the table, the game doesn't ask for CD2 in drive F:, but in drive D: (the drive where the game's installed). It seems the game is somehow missing the CDALL folder, even though it is directed there through the .ini, or doesn't find what its looking for there.

Prior to copying the content of CD2 to the drive using the "correct" installation sequence for the mods, the game couldn't find CD2 when I only installed the Fix, Tweaks and UB packs.

The first line of the .ini look like this:

[Alias]
HD0:=D:\Program Files\Black Isle\PlanescapeTorment\
CD1:=F:\
CD2:=D:\Program Files\Black Isle\PlanescapeTorment\CDALL
CD3:=D:\Program Files\Black Isle\PlanescapeTorment\CDALL
CD4:=D:\Program Files\Black Isle\PlanescapeTorment\CDALL

I haven't copied the content of CD1 to the CDALL folder, as the installation guide didn't state I should do so, which is why that entry is still pointing to the CD/DVD drive.

#28 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:13 PM

I believe the file it looks for is genmova.bif. In my install (4CD), checking properties, it's size (not size on disk) is 63,750,188 bytes.

Qwinn

#29 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:16 PM

That path doesn't look right. In the 4CD version, the path defaults to "Program Files\Black Isle\Torment". I know the 2CD path defaults to something else, but it's not what you quoted there. I think you're missing a space between the words Planescape and Torment. Or possibly a dash? Someone with 2CD version should be able to cite it precisely.

EDIT: Okay, yeah, the default for the 2CD version path is "Planescape - Torment". Space before and after the dash. If you changed the default, I'm guessing you didn't change it in exactly the same way as you changed the INI file.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 14 July 2009 - 01:18 PM.

#30 -Eyaldourn-

-Eyaldourn-

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:23 PM

That path doesn't look right. In the 4CD version, the path defaults to "Program Files\Black Isle\Torment". I know the 2CD path defaults to something else, but it's not what you quoted there. I think you're missing a space between the words Planescape and Torment. Or possibly a dash? Someone with 2CD version should be able to cite it precisely.

EDIT: Okay, yeah, the default for the 2CD version path is "Planescape - Torment". Space before and after the dash. If you changed the default, I'm guessing you didn't change it in exactly the same way as you changed the INI file.

Qwinn

I changed the default folder, as I thought the spaces and the dash might be causing the conflict in the .ini, but it didn't work for the default install path either (I copied the path from properties, so there was no typo in the .ini).

In any case, genmovA.bif (with a capital A) is 60,7 MB (63.750.188 bytes) and is in the CDALL folder. It does seem it is somehow missing the CDALL folder. It's probably something simple that I'm missing here.

#31 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:19 PM

Case sensitivity strikes again (in linux)?

#32 -Eyaldourn-

-Eyaldourn-

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:45 AM

Does the lack of a reply mean that I can only play the vanilla version, as there's no workaround to the problem I'm having?

#33 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:53 AM

Are you running this on Linux? The case-sensitivity response seemed like a good thing to check to me.

Personally, I would try reinstalling from scratch (uninstall mods, then uninstall game, then make sure any remaining override directory is emptied, then reinstall game, etc) and not change the default directory. It -shouldn't- matter, you should be able to change it, but obviously whatever problem you're having shouldn't be happening, so.

I do find it very odd that it works before applying the mods but not after. Nothing in my mods that I can think of should cause the game to stop knowing where to look for the files. Very weird.

Let me suggest that, as you go through the reinstall, see if you can start a new game with a clean install (AFTER having created the CDALL directory and pointing your INI to it). Then add widescreen mod. Then start a new game. Then apply ghostdog's UI. Then start a new game. Then my fixpack. Then start a new game. And so on. Main reason we can't help you is because what you're giving us is pretty general stuff. Do this and we can at least find which mod is causing your game to stop working.

Qwinn

EDIT PS: You said you copy and pasted the path into the Torment.ini file. I'd try not doing that, and just typing them in by hand. Who knows, there might've been embedded characters in whatever you copy and pasted from.

Edited by Qwinn, 16 July 2009 - 11:01 AM.

#34 -Eyaldourn-

-Eyaldourn-

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:17 AM

OK, this is really weird: the problem seems to come from the official patch. After I installed it, my CD 2 is no longer detected.

Suggestions?

#35 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:01 PM

There's your problem. It is a bad thing to apply the official patch to the 2CD version, and unnecessary. The 2CD version is already version 1.1. The official patch is only supposed to be applied to the 4CD version 1.0.

Pretty sure that is mentioned in the installation guide and the fixpack readme.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 17 July 2009 - 01:01 PM.

#36 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:39 PM

There's your problem. It is a bad thing to apply the official patch to the 2CD version, and unnecessary. The 2CD version is already version 1.1. The official patch is only supposed to be applied to the 4CD version 1.0.

Qwinn

Any way if doing things like in the Fallout 2 unofficial patch? (putting the official patch in the unofficial one, and detect when it is already applied?)

#37 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:27 PM

The Fixpack installation will already detect if your Torment.exe is 4CD version 1.0, and fail out warning you that you have to install the official patch before continuing.

Adding the official patch to the 2CD version, though, happens before and outside the installation of my mods, and there's no way I can prevent that. I am surprised that he managed to install my Fixpack after doing that, actually, since the engine fixes install detects which version it's being applied to based on the Torment.exe's size, and I would think applying the official patch to the 2CD version would result in a nonstandard Torment.exe. Weird.

Qwinn

#38 Jarin Hawkeye

Jarin Hawkeye

Wanderer

• 37 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:45 AM

You might want to include the 1024*768 UI for people who can not use higher resolutions (or don't want to).

#39 -Eyaldourn-

-Eyaldourn-

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:51 AM

I just noticed it's mentioned in the installation guide, the font is pretty small so I missed it earlier on.

I feared it would be something simple like missing a note, and it seems it is.

Thanks for the help in any case.

#40 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:58 PM

I have a problem. I've followed the instructions and got to the step 4. When I try to install Ultimate Fixpack, a fatal error is reported. When I extract archive and run Setup-PST-Fix.exe, it automatically starts running. I don't get the option to choose language (enter language number) nor to view readme file or shoose what to install. It simply starts working, writing something like Auto-Updating on behalf of [Setup-PST-Fix.exe]:... and it lasts for 20 mins or so, and then it says:
[Setup-PST-Fix.exe] Using scripting style "PST"
ERROR: Problem parsing TP file [Setup-PST-Fix.TP2]: Sys_error("Setup-PST-Fix.TP2: Too many open files")

FATAL ERROR: Sys_error("Setup-PST-Fix.TP2: Too many open files")

Press ENTER to exit

I've downloaded the archive again, extracted it, but nothing has changed.

Please help!