Ultimate Planescape: Torment installation guide

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#121 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:54 PM

Thank you very much Turambar for the file and for the Topic Link about the site, I appreciate it so much and hope they get the site back up real soon.

The site appears to be up again, now. Anyway, here's the latest version, in case it's needed, hoping the site doesn't get down again... (you can get the installer from weidu.org)

Attached Files

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#122 newtkeeper

newtkeeper
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:38 AM

Top shelf work, bloods.

I've played, on and off, for a few weeks. The only problem I had was when it occasionally crashed as I tried to enter a building, but since it crashed after it Autosaved, no harm was done, and it never did it twice for any given location.

However, I have run into a problem that I cannot resolve so easily. I have reached and finished the Alley of Dangerous angles. I talk to the alley, get a short film clip, and, if I remember correctly, I am exactly at the point where I proceed to the other Wards. It asks me to put in Disc 3 to continue. Very well, I do so. I see the loading screen for an area, I see (for maybe a half a second) a view of an area as if it had loaded successfully, then it cuts to a request for me to put in Disk 2. I do so, of course, but the screen goes black, and nothing at all happens, and I think the game crashes (when I minimize the black screen I cannot restore the game- right clicking on the button on the task bar icon gives me only the option to exit). I have tried reinstalling (having made a copy of the Save file, then restoring it), and the problem still recurs. Does anyone know what is causing this, and whether I can fix it? Help would be appreciated.

#123 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:22 PM

Top shelf work, bloods.

I've played, on and off, for a few weeks. The only problem I had was when it occasionally crashed as I tried to enter a building, but since it crashed after it Autosaved, no harm was done, and it never did it twice for any given location.

However, I have run into a problem that I cannot resolve so easily. I have reached and finished the Alley of Dangerous angles. I talk to the alley, get a short film clip, and, if I remember correctly, I am exactly at the point where I proceed to the other Wards. It asks me to put in Disc 3 to continue. Very well, I do so. I see the loading screen for an area, I see (for maybe a half a second) a view of an area as if it had loaded successfully, then it cuts to a request for me to put in Disk 2. I do so, of course, but the screen goes black, and nothing at all happens, and I think the game crashes (when I minimize the black screen I cannot restore the game- right clicking on the button on the task bar icon gives me only the option to exit). I have tried reinstalling (having made a copy of the Save file, then restoring it), and the problem still recurs. Does anyone know what is causing this, and whether I can fix it? Help would be appreciated.

Which mods have you installed? Could you post your weidu.log? What version do you have (2cd, 4cd,...)? Unless you have the 2cd, have you patched before installing any mod?

edit: from your post, I guess you have the 4cd version. You could try and copy all discs to a new subfolder in the game folder, and edit torment.ini so that it looks for resources there, instead of on the cds (as the guide suggests).

Edited by Turambar, 11 May 2011 - 01:30 PM.

Turambar

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!

vipersig.jpg

#124 -Chuck-

-Chuck-

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:32 PM

I'm having serious issues with these mods...I've done everything as instructed...yet what seems to happen is after I install the wide screen mod, which works beautifully, I go to do the ghostdog UI mod, and That goes through, but I get two error messages, and reverts the game back to it's original resolution, and doesn't fit my screen properly. It seems to wipe out my application of the wide screen mod, and the UI mod doesn't stick either. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

#125 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:21 PM

I'm having serious issues with these mods...I've done everything as instructed...yet what seems to happen is after I install the wide screen mod, which works beautifully, I go to do the ghostdog UI mod, and That goes through, but I get two error messages, and reverts the game back to it's original resolution, and doesn't fit my screen properly. It seems to wipe out my application of the wide screen mod, and the UI mod doesn't stick either. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

could you please post those error messages (which are contained either in the widescreen.debug or in the ghostdog's... .debug file; you could just upload both and then we could have a look)?

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#126 -Ryza-

-Ryza-

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:26 AM

I modded the game according to this guide, and I have a problem: my party does not automatically attack enemies. Even if I turn on combat scripts and party AI, they just stand around and I have to click every enemy one by one. It's very annoying when you're fighting 20 rats. In Baldur's gate you could change the AI scripts a PC uses, but Torment does not seem to have that option...

#127 -Claymore-

-Claymore-

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:22 AM

I just finished step 2 and tried running the game, I clicked regiser later and then this appeared: "An Assertion failed in F:\Torment\Source\chitin\ChDimm.cpp at line number 787" . What do I do?

#128 aqrit

aqrit
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:48 AM

http://www.shsforums...ssertion-failed

This error pops up usually when the resolution you've installed the widescreen mod, isn't one of the standard supported resolutions. Have you installed it at your native screen resolution ?

#129 -Claymore-

-Claymore-

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:34 PM

I haven't even installed the widescreen mod. Help!

#130 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:45 AM

I haven't even installed the widescreen mod. Help!

Where have you installed the game to? Have you edited the .ini correctly?
What OS are you using?
Otherwise, try uninstalling, deleting whatever file remains, and re-installing.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#131 -Claymore-

-Claymore-

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:38 AM

I checked the Torment notepad file aka ini. when I rewrote the stuff. I'm using XP. Maybe the problem comes from the fact that some of the numbers (cache) that were written differently in my ini. As for the reinstall, the game or the mod?

#132 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:31 AM

I checked the Torment notepad file aka ini. when I rewrote the stuff. I'm using XP. Maybe the problem comes from the fact that some of the numbers (cache) that were written differently in my ini. As for the reinstall, the game or the mod?

From what you are saying, you have not installed any mod yet, so the only thing you can uninstall is the game itself.

The cache should not be a problem; it should work whatever number you put, and should not crash until you load an area anyway, whereas, if I understood correctly, your game crashes before the intro movies are played. Are you sure all paths in the .ini point to the correct path? In particular, HD0 should be the game directory itself, and CD 1-5 should be the places where you moved the contents of the other cds.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#133 -Claymore-

-Claymore-

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the help but as I'm a stupid idiot, I did what I always do - delete the game first instead of deinstalling it. As a result, CD 1 can't find the deinstall initiator and can't uninstall it, so I can never install this game on the PC again. Thanks, brain of mine, you really help me!

#134 aqrit

aqrit
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:06 PM

:rolleyes: run setup.exe from the cd

#135 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:16 AM

Thanks for the help but as I'm a stupid idiot, I did what I always do - delete the game first instead of deinstalling it. As a result, CD 1 can't find the deinstall initiator and can't uninstall it, so I can never install this game on the PC again. Thanks, brain of mine, you really help me!

Well, you can go and use the regedit.exe to remove the register entry... I only have the BGII info on that, but it should be close to that in PST.
Or you can go and reinstall Windows, but that might be a bit too radical.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#136 -Cardtrick-

-Cardtrick-

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:18 AM

Hello! I hope someone can help a bit with this.

I followed this fantastic guide (the only exception being that I used slightly different options when installing the tweak mod, and that I made sure to rename each weidu installer to use the newest version). My installation is mostly working well, and I'm really enjoying the opportunity to relive PS:T.

However, there is one annoying problem. Whenever I save the game (from the save menu, not when quicksaving) everything becomes unexplorerd. Everything around me turns black, except for the circle I'm currently in, and I need to explore again.

When installing the Tweak Pack, I did not choose "Explore City Areas" -- I thought it would be better to stick with the default behavior, since my character has no memory and really should need to explore Sigil all over again. Was that option actually suggested because this "reset exploration on Save Game" behavior is a known bug? If so, can I enable that option at this point without invalidating my save games?

Or is there a simpler/better solution? I did try searching, but I'm not really sure what to search for.

Thanks for any help!

#137 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:02 AM

You're not talking about fog of war right? The map actually goes black back to original state? If so, that's very odd and first time I've heard of it happening. Could you post your weidu log on pastebin or something?

As for enabling "Explore City Areas", you can do this fine without messing up existing saves I'm fairly certain but Qwinn would know better. Basically, all it does is remove blackness in city areas because there are some parts you can never reach. The fog of war is still left in place.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#138 -ArcaneEchoXIII-

-ArcaneEchoXIII-

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:30 PM

Ok so for some reason when I run the game I get absolutely no audio. Also every time I close it windows error reporting pops up with a message saying there is an error and the program needs to close. I'm running on windows 7. I have installed the fixpatch, ub, and tweaks. The problem is recent, I've had it on this computer before with no issue and just found my disc again. There was no sound so I uninstalled and reinstalled with no success, and still no success with the audio. Any ideas?

#139 -ArcaneEchoXIII-

-ArcaneEchoXIII-

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:38 PM

nvm I fixed it

#140 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:02 AM

What fixed audio problem? The error on exit for win7 (and prob vista) seems to be a common issue. I can reproduce it here on win7 x64, I've added it to list of things to look into whenever I start up on PST again.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.