• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#21 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:53 PM

More relevant-I think I've got the hang of how to code a banter. This is the codified version of the Aerie chat-do I have this right?

CHAIN
IF
~CombatCounter(0)
InParty("Etiso")
InParty("Minsc")
See("SAKIso")
!See ([ENEMY])
!StateCheck("Minsc",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
!StateCheck("SAKIso",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
Global("SAKIsoAerieTalk1","GLOBAL",0)~
THEN BAERIE SAKIsoAerieTalk1
~Isobel, m-may I ask you something?~ ~ DO ~SetGlobal("SAKIsoAerieTalk1","GLOBAL",1)~
== BSAKIso ~Certainly.~
== BAERIE ~Y-youâ??re a long way from h-home, arenâ??t you? D-do you ever miss your home?~
== BSAKIso ~Yes, though I doubt Iâ??ve been away as long as you have. Are you homesick, Aerie?~
== BAERIE ~Y-yes, I suppose I am. I still see Faeyna-Dail in my dreams sometimes, and my motherâ?¦~
== BSAKIso ~Aerie, you donâ??t need to continue if you donâ??t want to. I understand how painful it can be to think of home, when it should be pleasant dreaming.~
== BAERIE ~You do?~
== BSAKIso ~Is it so surprising? People usually arenâ??t as different from one another as they think.~
== BAERIE ~Th-thank you, Isobel. Somehow, that thought makes me feel better, that Iâ??m not soâ?¦ different.~
EXIT

Does Minsc have a part in this conversation?

Also, regarding the names of your dialogues..." SAKIsoAerieTalk1" I'm guessing is descriptive for you, but you may want to consider slimming down the naming convention because when you get into PC-modNPC banter coding, it's a pain in the ass to write out SAKIsoAerieTalk1ThisChoice or SAKIsoAerieTalk1-1-2. Just a suggestion.

Azkyroth, I doubt your idea of what a character with a godlike wisdom score would act like and believe has much in common with what I believe a character with such a score would act like and believe, so please drop the point.

To each his/her own opinion I think. :) Azkyroth seems to be agreeing with what berelinde said and I would hate for this lovely mod idea thread to go to hell via a pissing contest. You, Solstice, seem confident in how your character should look, talk, and sound, so don't worry about what other people say/don't say too much. Take what others say as constructive. No one is here to insult you or slight you; they are posting in a mod idea thread because it *interests* them. Also, please keep in mind that you chose to come out publicly with your character idea, so you need to expect others to have input on it, and yes that includes the stats you put up. If you don't wish for this input, or you want smilie faces and nothing else, I would recommend keeping your mod in a private setting where people of your choosing can put their input in.

Edited by theacefes, 05 July 2009 - 07:54 PM.

DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#22 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:02 PM

Does Minsc have a part in this conversation?

What the?... um. I have no clue why that popped in there instead of Aerie. May be that I've been trying to figure out how Isobel is going to react to Minsc lately. I don't think she'll like him. Um, the Etiso was my initial personal designation, based on my first and middle initials. That's what I get for posting the code directly from my slow attempts to weld it together today. >_> My daughter is very distracting.

Also, regarding the names of your dialogues..." SAKIsoAerieTalk1" I'm guessing is descriptive for you, but you may want to consider slimming down the naming convention because when you get into PC-modNPC banter coding, it's a pain in the ass to write out SAKIsoAerieTalk1ThisChoice or SAKIsoAerieTalk1-1-2. Just a suggestion.

I'm considering slimming it to just SIso.

To each his/her own opinion I think. :) Azkyroth seems to be agreeing with what berelinde said and I would hate for this lovely mod idea thread to go to hell via a pissing contest. You, Solstice, seem confident in how your character should look, talk, and sound, so don't worry about what other people say/don't say too much. Take what others say as constructive. No one is here to insult you or slight you; they are posting in a mod idea thread because it *interests* them. Also, please keep in mind that you chose to come out publicly with your character idea, so you need to expect others to have input on it, and yes that includes the stats you put up. If you don't wish for this input, or you want smilie faces and nothing else, I would recommend keeping your mod in a private setting where people of your choosing can put their input in

I agree-I just didn't want this to deteriorate into a flame war between Azzy and I. I welcome criticism, but I'm confident in Isobel's wisdom score, and I didn't see any point in Azzy's further criticism of that point. He made his point, and I didn't see any reason to grind it into the ground.

Edited by Solstice, 05 July 2009 - 08:04 PM.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#23 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:09 PM

I agree-I just didn't want this to deteriorate into a flame war between Azzy and I. I welcome criticism, but I'm confident in Isobel's wisdom score, and I didn't see any point in Azzy's further criticism of that point. He made his point, and I didn't see any reason to grind it into the ground.

A bit more unwanted advice then: if you see someone posting something that you don't like, agree with, or just unwanted criticism, just ignore it. *That*'s the best way to avoid a flame war. I personally did not see *that* strong of criticism coming in re: the wisdom score as opposed to a discussion between a few people who were trying to assist you in getting a wisdom score that both makes sense and is playable. Truth be told, you are lucky that nothing else has been criticized yet. There are entire threads in mods dedicated to criticizing one aspect of the mod. In replying to Azzy like that, you are essentially grinding the point even more into the ground.

But I'm not a moderator or a people person, so I'm going to stop here and hope that this thread continues on with this (very nice btw) mod idea. :)

Edited by theacefes, 05 July 2009 - 08:09 PM.

DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#24 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:34 AM

Computer had to take a trip to the repair shop, but I'm back now, and continuing to work on Isobel-at least trying to find a very consistent voice for her. Here are a couple more banter ideas, one being an effort at simulating Isobel's prowess, or lack thereof, with smokepowder:

Yoshimo: Isobel?

Isobel: Gond damn it! Don't sneak up on me like that! Glad I was working with only a small sample of powder.

Yoshimo: Yoshimo begs your forgiveness, good priestess! Your left eyebrow is on fire, by the way.

Isobel: Oh. Thanks.

Isobel: It's just as well. That batch wasn't very good anyway.

Yoshimo: Your experiments appear to be quite volatile. Are you certain it is a good idea to experiment in the field?

Isobel: Most innkeepers would throw me out if I tried experimenting with smokepowder on their property. So would most other building owners, come to think of it.

Yoshimo: With good reason, Yoshimo thinks!

Isobel: True. That said, the next time you sneak up on me, it's *your* face that will meet an explosion.

This would be another chat with Aerie, in a city.

Isobel: Aerie, is something bothering you?

Aerie: I never saw much of the city from the circus. All these people make me feel uncomfortable. A lot of them stare at us.

Isobel: I don't blame them for staring. We're traveling publicly with armor and weapons at the ready-being concerned about our arrival is only natural, among other reasons.

Aerie: What other reasons?

Isobel: A very pretty young elf, for one.

Aerie: You mean they're staring at me?

Isobel: Not just them, er, bad choice of words on my part. It's only natural to stare at people like you: powerful mages and clerics don't show up in town every day.

Aerie: I don't think I've ever thought of myself as powerful.

Isobel: I'd be surprised if you had. Don't worry about it.

Aerie: I think there's something you aren't saying.

Isobel: I can't think of any way to say it without offending you, and I don't want to do that.

Aerie: Thank you, Isobel. I think.
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#25 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:19 PM

One concern I haven't seen an answer to anywhere-does anyone know where I might go to request a portrait for Isobel? I don't have more than a vague idea of what Isobel looks like, other than being North African-brown skin, black hair, dark eyes-and I have no artistic talent to speak of.

#26 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

That would be here. :)

I like this character idea a lot!

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#27 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:16 AM

Been working further, got her .d file for joining the party done, and have been continuing to write banters. I'm going for an average of three banters per npc, some more and some less-Isobel regards Minsc as insane and only has two banters, while she and Nalia have five, three of which are in a sequence. One minor consequence of writing banters was that it turns out that Isobel has real problems with seasickness, and she doesn't know any spell that can cure it. :)

When I get around to writing Isobel's banters with Charname, one feature I'm intending to add is Isobel reacting to Charname dual-classing her. :) She won't mind if Charname duals her to thief, presumably after boosting her stats somehow, but dualling her to anything else is likely to result in Isobel protesting Charname's orders that she pursue another calling.

A portrait request is up, and I'm debating whether or not to request voicing-or maybe just to leave it for later.

#28 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:49 AM

Isobel's .cre is tentatively done, and I think, perhaps for the best, that another flaw has come into Isobel-her lack of empathy. I had never intended for Isobel to be romancable by Charname, and while she is very attracted to Aerie, her reasoning for not trying to take her occasionally flirtatious friendship with Aerie to another level was more ambiguous. This highlighted a tendency that I realized had crept into my characterization of Isobel: she has had a pretty happy life, with no angst to speak of, and she has a hard time relating to those with issues in their past, like Aerie and, especially, Charname. Isobel doesn't understand how to relate to people in emotional and spiritual pain very well-she can understand their pain well enough, but her attitude boils down to "that's very sad, but get over it". She really does not grasp the fact that it's not that simple for some people. Isobel believes in an orderly, rational life-her own tune certainly might change if she were to suffer a devastating tragedy, but as it is, she simply cannot personally relate to those who have.

Also, Isobel's tentative starting gear:

Warhammer +1
Medium Shield
Chain Mail +2
Sling
Bullet Stones
Ring Of Protection +1 (Tentative)

At present, Isobel's arquebus is not present in her inventory, though dialogues will refer to her carrying it from the beginning.

Edited by Solstice, 02 August 2009 - 09:57 AM.

#29 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:52 AM

I am still around and working on this, but life went crazy several weeks ago, and I'm only now finding a bit of time for a breather. I'm pregnant again, so it will be seen how long this respite will last. :)

Here's a couple of banters I've written today as proof that I'm still around.

Isobel: Yoshimo, have you seen much of Faerun, outside of Amn?

Yshimo: Indeed I have, though Athaktla has wonders enough for a lifetime.

Isobel: If you say so. I never realized how big Faerun was, until I started hearing tales about places as far off as Icewind Dale and the Silver Marches.

Yoshimo: Do I detect a note of wanderlust in the fair maiden's voice?

Isobel: I'm hardly a maiden, Yoshimo, but yes, I think I would like to see more of this land.

Yoshimo: After our present affairs are concluded, I think guiding a bold priestess might be suitable work.

Isobel: I must decline. With all due respect, Yoshimo, you *are* a rogue, and I value my purse more than that.

Yoshimo: I meant no disrespect. I am a bounty hunter, as you know, not a common thief!

Isobel: No. I'd call you an uncommon thief.

Yoshimo: You flatter me.

Isobel: How did I lose control of this conversation?

Yoshimo: As you put it, I am an uncommon thief.

Jaheira: Cease your staring, Isobel. If there is something you want, ask.

Isobel: Forgive me. You are representative of an unusual problem that has presented itself since my arrival in Amn.

Jaheira: Choose your words carefully, Lantanna. What problem do you speak of?

Isobel: That humans and elves can breed consistently, and produce fertile offspring. My roommate during seminary worked on a farm before coming to Gond's service, and she taught me a little of animals. You might recognize what a mule represents.

Jaheira: You appear to make a habit of asking unusual questions.

Isobel: I like to think so. Progress by definition begins with the new and unusual, and you are excellent at deflecting the question you brought up.

Jaheira: There are some things mortals are not meant to know.

Isobel: Why would anything not be meant for mortals to know? The gods didn't create us with brains for nothing, you know.

Jaheira: Leave me be, child. You ask too many questions.

#30 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:42 PM

Jaheira: Cease your staring, Isobel. If there is something you want, ask.

Isobel: Forgive me. You are representative of an unusual problem that has presented itself since my arrival in Amn.

Jaheira: Choose your words carefully, Lantanna. What problem do you speak of?

Isobel: That humans and elves can breed consistently, and produce fertile offspring. My roommate during seminary worked on a farm before coming to Gond's service, and she taught me a little of animals. You might recognize what a mule represents.

Jaheira: You appear to make a habit of asking unusual questions.

Isobel: I like to think so. Progress by definition begins with the new and unusual, and you are excellent at deflecting the question you brought up.

Jaheira: There are some things mortals are not meant to know.

Isobel: Why would anything not be meant for mortals to know? The gods didn't create us with brains for nothing, you know.

Jaheira: Leave me be, child. You ask too many questions.

How does she know Jaheira's fertile?

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#31 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:09 PM

It seems pretty well known in FR that half-elves can breed on their own-hell, in Eberron, most half-elves are an independent race, with actual children of elves and humans a minority. For someone as literate and knowledgable as Isobel seems to be, I think it's appropriate for her to know, and an amusing joke if you know what Isobel is getting at.

Good luck with this, Solstice, and with your personal life. :) I'll be watching with great interest.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#32 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:18 PM

Tempest nailed it on the head. Isobel doesn't know Jaheira's fertile, but has no reason to think otherwise. She's never seen a half-elf until she came to Amn, but has read enough and heard enough stories to know half-elves generally aren't infertile, subject to genetic disorders, vulnerable to disease, or any of the other usual problems associated with successful crossbreeds between different species. Isobel does bring a degree of scientific learning and awareness that's very rare anywhere in the Forgotten Realms outside of a very few places, and Isobel is from one of those places. I would like to emphasize that her Intelligence score is a little misleading: Isobel is educated as well as intelligent.

#33 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:35 PM

Tempest nailed it on the head. Isobel doesn't know Jaheira's fertile, but has no reason to think otherwise. She's never seen a half-elf until she came to Amn, but has read enough and heard enough stories to know half-elves generally aren't infertile, subject to genetic disorders, vulnerable to disease, or any of the other usual problems associated with successful crossbreeds between different species. Isobel does bring a degree of scientific learning and awareness that's very rare anywhere in the Forgotten Realms outside of a very few places, and Isobel is from one of those places. I would like to emphasize that her Intelligence score is a little misleading: Isobel is educated as well as intelligent.

I can nonetheless see Jaheira attempting to regain control of the conversation by pointing that out as an assumption.

By the way, congratulations and please consult this before making any important decisions. ^.^

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#34 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

I can nonetheless see Jaheira attempting to regain control of the conversation by pointing that out as an assumption.

I can't. Jaheira isn't pushing menopause age and I don't see why she'd care that Isobel assumed she was fertile. Isobel and Jaheira are generally at odds, however, as Isobel cares little for nature and much for industry-she'd be overjoyed to see an industrial revolution in Faerun-and that clashes with Jaheira's nature-centric sensibilities. Isobel's quip when in a forest outright says that yes, the forest is pretty, but it's also a good source of lumber, and the latter takes precedence.

By the way, congratulations and please consult this before making any important decisions. ^.^

It's my second pregnancy, and my husband and I already have names picked out, depending on what gender it turns out to be.

#35 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:08 PM

An idea that's occurred to me, but I don't know if it would meet with much interest: I'm considering giving Isobel a Romantic Encounters-style piece, only available later in the game if she has a good opinion of Charname (thinking a simple alignment test, possibly with a reputation requirement as well-she would dislike Charname both with very high and very low reputtion). It would only be available to female Charnames who are human, elf, half-elf, or half-orc, and it would be, as Isobel herself would emphasize, strictly a one-night stand. Isobel is not a maiden, and by the final few chapters of the game (i.e. after returning to the surface), the stress and tension of things is understandably high-if a female Charname of compatible race whom she respected approached her about it, she would agree that sexual release could do them both a great deal of good, on the understanding that release is strictly what it is about-it will not, repeat not, be a prelude to a relationship with her beyond friendship.

If there is interest in this idea, it's unlikely to be in my initial attempt at getting Isobel out the door, but it will be in my plans for her further development.

#36 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:19 AM

Cropping back up to let folks know that I have returned and am resuming work on Isobel. I have decided that, at least for the first release, I will not bother trying to implement Isobel's arquebus, and if asked about it, she will inform Charname that the weapon was damaged during her voyage from Lantan, and she will not try to use it in combat until she's satisfied that it's repaired and in safe, working order. On a more amusing note, Isobel strikes up an odd friendship of sorts with Korgan of all people, while she does not get along well with any of the nature-oriented characters save Valygar. Alas for Jaheira and Cernd, Isobel is an advocate of industrial and urban development.

#37 Tieflingz

Tieflingz

SS Promotionist

• 100 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:29 PM

A priestess of creation and invention that doesn't like nature and gets along with Korgan?

I'm saving a spot for her for sure! (I've seen previous posts about her 17 wis, saying how she should have only around 14-15 or such, in my opinion, 17 may be a bit too high and 14-15 may be a bit too low, 16 sounds perfect but hey, I'm not the one making this NPC so I should just shut up now)

Could you list the invention she has? While a NPC's story and banter are important, the items are vital to have their own sketches and icons as well.
I am: Human-Essentric (Halflings/Gnomes/Dwarves/Tieflings are favored)
Fetish: Backstab Ability (That includes Blackguards!)
Alignment: Mainly Any Evil and, to some extent, Chaotic Neutral
Nemesis:
Aasimar (Unless s/he's evil like Belueth the Calm)
Elf (I just don't like those pointy ears)
Paladin (You could guess why)
Weapon of Choice:
Short Sword/Thrown Daggers + Buckler

#38 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:40 PM

I wouldn't say Isobel dislikes nature per se - she appreciates it, but does so more for the resources it holds.

Isobel's "inventions" are limited to her arquebus and her supply of gunpowder, both of which are common in Lantan. In modern terms, she's specialized in chemical engineering, as she tinkers mostly with gunpowder, trying to make it more reliable, more potent, create less smoke, and otherwise improve the formula, leading her to experiment with compounds. While she is a capable smith in her own right, as all clergy of Gond are expected to be, Isobel emphasizes her chemistry skills over outright invention.

A point of contention between her and Edwin is that Isobel knows about chemistry, not alchemy. Isobel regards arcane magic with a bit of disdain - grand magic-based societies have been done before, and she doesn't think much of those who rely on arcane magic now.

Isobel does flirt with a couple of female party members, but does not interfere with any NPC-Charname romances - the closest she gets is with Aerie, and Isobel backs off when Aerie decides it's getting too uncomfortable.

#39 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:30 PM

Still working on banters, but tentatively, here's a brief guide to Isobels interactions:

Isobel likes: Aerie, Nalia, Imoen, Sir Anomen, Jan, Viconia, Korgan

Isobel is indifferent towards: Keldorn, Valygar, pre-test Anomen, Yoshimo, Edwin

Isobel dislikes: Minsc, Jaheira, Mazzy, Cernd, CN Anomen, Haer'Dalis

And Isobel also has more dialogues than usual with Aerie, Nalia, and Jan.

#40 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:34 AM

I'll definitely be watching this doozy. :cheers: