"findstr" is not recognized as an internal or external comma

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 -Mort-

-Mort-

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:51 PM

Hello
I'm trying to install some mega-mods(like-TDD,TS) and connect them with Big World Fixpack.Mega-mods install almost propelly(what I mean is-NPC,quests,shops,show up but I cannot go to any location-game crashing and I'm always landing in windows) but when I try install big World Fixpack in Dos-windows shows up:"findstr" is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file."And installation is aborted.
Sorry for my english
may someone help?

#2 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:10 AM

What operating system are you using?

#3 -Mort-

-Mort-

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:53 AM

What operating system are you using?

Windows XP

#4 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:58 AM

It should definitely have this command.
What happens if you fire up a command prompt (Windows -> Run, cmd) and type in findstr?

#5 -Mort-

-Mort-

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:28 AM

It should definitely have this command.
What happens if you fire up a command prompt (Windows -> Run, cmd) and type in findstr?

happend this:"findstr" is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.
Windows XP(5.1.2600)Do You think, should I reinstall system?

#6 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:02 AM

And what happens if you type in "help" instead of "findstr"?
Maybe your PATH environment variable got screwed somehow. (Check in system settings.)

#7 -Mort-

-Mort-

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:34 AM

And what happens if you type in "help" instead of "findstr"?
Maybe your PATH environment variable got screwed somehow. (Check in system settings.)

same problem:help is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file."
How can I go to system settings?

#8 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:35 PM

Do you know where you can configure environment variables?
I only have a foreign version of Windows (and you sound like you have one too) but I'll try to describe it:
Click on the Windows-Button and go to the control panel. There should be an icon labeled system settings or something like that.
Once there, select the "Advanced" tab and there should be an option to configure environment variables.
Make sure "%WINDIR%\system32" (or "C:\WINNT\system32", or something like that) is in the PATH variable for system environment variables.

You could also try googling how to add/configure environment variables in Windows. I'm pretty sure your PATH variable is somehow messed up.

#9 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:50 PM

Do you know where you can configure environment variables?
I only have a foreign version of Windows (and you sound like you have one too) but I'll try to describe it:
Click on the Windows-Button and go to the control panel. There should be an icon labeled system settings or something like that.
Once there, select the "Advanced" tab and there should be an option to configure environment variables.
Make sure "%WINDIR%\system32" (or "C:\WINNT\system32", or something like that) is in the PATH variable for system environment variables.

You could also try googling how to add/configure environment variables in Windows. I'm pretty sure your PATH variable is somehow messed up.

I have changed on C:\Program Files;C:\Winnt;C:\Winnt\System32
I used google as you said,but even changed does not work
When I use command cmd and type in -findstr or help it still same problem

#10 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:09 AM

Could you check if "findstr.exe" resides in your Windows System32 directory (i. e. C:\Winnt\System32) ?
If not, you sure have a weird Windows installation.

#11 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:12 AM

Could you check if "findstr.exe" resides in your Windows System32 directory (i. e. C:\Winnt\System32) ?
If not, you sure have a weird Windows installation.

You right(checked),I dont have one-so,do I have to reinstall system?

#12 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:13 AM

Depends on whether you want go through the trouble of a reinstall. (And if you think that the error will be fixed after reinstall.)
If you have a spare disk, I'd try to install Windows on that one and see if the commands (findstr.exe and friends) are in the System32 directory. You can copy them from there, if so. And you won't loose your current installation.

#13 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:04 AM

Depends on whether you want go through the trouble of a reinstall. (And if you think that the error will be fixed after reinstall.)
If you have a spare disk, I'd try to install Windows on that one and see if the commands (findstr.exe and friends) are in the System32 directory. You can copy them from there, if so. And you won't loose your current installation.

I agree with You,dont now that,hmm,, maybe better option is to get this command(or whole folder system32)findstr from somone else computer? With Windows XP? What do You think?

#14 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:41 AM

I'd guess there is a bunch of other commands missing. But if you have someone who can give you those executables, sure, go for it.

#15 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:15 AM

I'd guess there is a bunch of other commands missing. But if you have someone who can give you those executables, sure, go for it.

Thank You Taimon for Your help,I'll get it from My friend computer-and when done it,will tell You,is it working or not:-)(if not,will install new system-but not mine)
Dōmo arigatō gozaimasu:-)

#16 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:35 AM

どういたしまして (I don't know any japanese, but this will hopefully be appropriate. :))

By the way, for the BiG World Fixpack to have any effect, you need to "install" it before you actually install the mods (but after unpacking them). It fixes problems in the "setup files" for the mods.

#17 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:33 AM

どういたしまして (I don't know any japanese, but this will hopefully be appropriate. :))

By the way, for the BiG World Fixpack to have any effect, you need to "install" it before you actually install the mods (but after unpacking them). It fixes problems in the "setup files" for the mods.

Now I know,I have to install new system,nothing happend when I put missing files in folder "system32".Still have same problem.Got new Windows XP from sister-will install tommorow.
Always do like You wrote=about BWFixpack:-)

#18 -avatar-

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

worked for me thanks

#19 -Swamy-

-Swamy-

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:40 AM

Just Goto 

C:\Windows\System32C:\Windows\System32

and search for findstr.exe in above mentioned path 

and copy the findstr.exe and paste into

java/\jdk/\bin folder

Now run