New Restored Bestiary Entries component

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:01 PM

Since I haven't -officially- announced this yet, let it be known that this will be a new component for UB v4.0. It will definitely qualify as "Recommended".

What's it composed of? Well, first, the restored bestiary entries that were originally done in Cilantro's Restoration Pack will be in it. (For the record, from now on I'm going to refer to it as KungFuMan's Restoration Pack, since that is the name he goes by now.) He did great work tweaking the beast.ini file so that the bestiary text entries update when associated in-game variables reach certain values. I originally put these in the Fixpack, and it's a close call, but after some thought I think they do qualify as UB restorations instead. The affected NPC's in game have their bestiary text update when certain events happen: Annah, Dak'kon, Dhall, Dustmen (both male and female), Grace, Ignus, Lothar, Nordom, Trias and Vhailor.

Secondly, the existing dialogue line that represents a bestiary text entry for the Alu-Fiend is restored. There's only one alu-fiend in game, Vrischika. KungFuMan also restored this in his Restoration Pack, but he did not have original artwork to associate with it, and so the picture that went with that entry was inappropriate. Thanks to the effort begun by Maebe and completed by Leila, we now have original artwork to use for it. Personally, I think it's brilliant, and fits the original game's style nicely. Huge thanks to Maebe and Leila for their excellent work!

Posted Image

And finally, here's a new one that hasn't been discussed much! This was definitely intended by the original designers but apparently they couldn't get it to work right in time. TO has an updated picture in the original game files that you never get to see (JRSHTKN)... all you ever get to see is the picture of him in shadows (JRTRZKN). This component will update the bestiary picture for TO to the more complete picture once TNO and TO actually meet for the first time (and the movie indicating this plays). Be aware, there's only a very small window to actually see this bestiary picture in game - once you begin dialogue with TO, you may not get another chance to look at it.

SPOILER:
Spoiler

Note that the restoration of TO's updated bestiary picture required a good bit of work on scient's part to get the engine to actually do it. This will actually be the first thing in UB that requires an engine tweak :)

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 30 June 2009 - 03:38 PM.

#2 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:24 PM

I wonder if the TO bestiary entry could be shown once
Spoiler

The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#3 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:37 PM

You -do- get the bestiary entry for TO at that point, with his original entry:

Spoiler

It's not until TNO actually meets TO that you can logically update the picture (which is what scient and I just did). And the text of the entry updates in the vanilla game once you've talked to him... a bit too late to see it, though, unless you choose to fight him.

Spoiler

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 30 June 2009 - 11:40 PM.