TES II: Daggerfall for Free

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:16 AM

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall has been released for free by Bethesda in celebration of the 15th anniversary of the Elder Scrolls series. Read the blog entry and run off to download!

...we?re releasing it ?as is.? In other words, we?re not providing customer support or technical support on the game at this point. That being said, I successfully started up the game running DOSBox and following QA superstar Mike Mazzuca?s detailed walkthrough for installing the game.

Regards,
AMS

Edited by Archmage Silver, 10 July 2009 - 04:25 AM.

#2 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:32 AM

Wonderful! Thanks! I haven't played them but I have been playing another 10-year-old game to death. :whistling:
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#3 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:02 AM

No problem, I like sharing good news. :)

Heh, I know what you mean - I'm in the middle of an Icewind Dale run at the moment, although I've already imported charname from my latest finished BG1 vanilla game (finished it about a month ago) to BG2 in preparation of yet another go at SoA & ToB.

#4 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:03 AM

May have to give this a go at some point. Only Elder Scrolls game I've played so far is Oblivion and I did enjoy that.

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:13 AM

Hmm, intresting. I quess I have to try this after I play the first C&C through, now that the 4th one is coming...

Off topic: Just something to think about...

Heh, I know what you mean - I'm in the middle of an Icewind Dale run at the moment, although I've already imported charname from my latest finished BG1 vanilla game (finished it about a month ago) to BG2 in preparation of yet another go at SoA & ToB.

Why not use BGT and IwDinBG2, well the later is a beta though, but still... :P

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 10 July 2009 - 01:19 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#6 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:05 AM

Hmm, intresting. I quess I have to try this after I play the first C&C through.

Well, there's nothing to lose since it's free... except time... but hey, none of us have a life anyway. :P

Off topic: Just something to think about...

Why not use BGT and IwDinBG2, well the later is a beta though, but still... :P

I don't know, I like the retro feel of vanilla BG, what with the 640x480 resolution and the old animations instead of the BG2 ones. :)

And your point about the latter is valid, playing a partial beta isn't that much fun...

#7 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:22 PM

So Dagger is free now too.

I've played Arena few years ago when became a freeware and liked it tremendiously.
Buildings are reflected in water in the streets, you can see through keyholes in doors, neither of which I'd expect from '94 game. Story also felt very good, due to the same initially low expectations of such an old piece of software junk.
And how scary it was to wander in a dark dungeon - my first char was a Mage (hence no armor at all, and low on HP) and I didn't know about the Light spell. Hearing a sound right behind my back usually made me to literally jump on the chair. But I managed to complete the first four mandatory dungeons (the prison doesn't count) andgetinto the 5th, when I decided it was enough and started over with a Spellsword.

Maybe I should finally figure out how to use DosBox properly and play Dagger as well.

PS I hate typos.

Edited by GeN1e, 10 July 2009 - 12:23 PM.

Retired from modding.

#8 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:13 AM

Ahh I played Daggerfall a lot years ago - great game

#9 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:38 AM

Apparently there's also a daggerfall engine recreation in the works by a user.