Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:58 AM

File Name: Rose NPC mod for BG:T
File Submitter: kthxbye
File Submitted: 19 Jul 2009
File Updated: 20 Oct 2009
File Category: Miscellaneous Released Mods
Forum: No Information
Readme: kthxbye.altervista.org/rose/readme.html

This mod adds an half-elven bard NPC to a BG:Trilogy install. Rose can be found early in BG1 and can follow CHARNAME to BG2 and ToB.
Please see the readme for more detailed info.

Click here to download this file

Edited by jastey, 23 August 2022 - 09:37 AM.
fixed download link

All of the above must be considered totally IMHO.

Rose NPC and ktweaks for BG:T

#2 kthxbye

kthxbye
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:12 AM

Here's some other infos on what I'd like to add in future versions. I'm writing this 'cause being it my first mod I'd be grateful for every piece of advice, constructive criticism and opinion. :)

About the custom item: it should be a ring, or an amulet (I think I'll go for the amulet) with a gem cut like a rose (guess why) the player has to make, buying the gem and taking it to High Edge or to the Sorcerous Sundries to be cut and enchanted. The first properties that came to my mind were protection from charm and vocalize, considering the nature of the gift and Rose's abilities (her voice is obviously quite important to her, so vocalize fits I think). Another idea that came to my mind is that I could give the player the ability to choose which type of gem to use, affecting the item's abilities. The gift should mean something, so it can be seen like an engagement gift. I don't want it to be too powerful or unbalancing in any way, in order not to encourage players to romance Rose only for the item. It should just be a nice add to the romance and nothing more. It should be stripped from Rose when the group's captured by Irenicus, and will be found somewhere else (and maybe upgraded in BG2).
Another custom item I was thinking about was a flute, to be given to Rose from the very start, that should let her use two or three custom songs. Another idea about the flute was to let Rose learn different songs with quests and/or experience, adding them to the flute. I'd need a custom BAM for the item though.

About Rose's alignment: she starts as a neutral character, but I'd like to let her shift both to good and to evil, based upon actions and banters with CHARNAME. It should be an extremely long and difficult path anyway, in both directions.

About Rose's past: I was thinking of making her family an outcast from eleven outposts because of Rose's father (elf) engagement with a human. Before the ban, Rose's father was one of the guards to an Underdark entrance (not the one with Suldanesselar's elves), and after that he continued to help without most of the elves knowing. Rose know nothing of her father's previous life, nor about his current one. Because of her father's background with the elven guards, using spears with great mastery, and because of her training under her father, I was thinking of giving Rose a second dot in spears, either via script after a certain level or by modifying her class so that the player will be allowed to give her the second dot. In no way she should have two dots when the player meets her anyway. Also, a custom spear would be nice, in BG2.

Now, I think that all of that ideas together could prove to make Rose too powerful, so I'll have to modify some of them or even to cut some of them off.. But I'm not the greatest judge when it comes to balance my own work, so I'd really be grateful for every comment about that. What I'd like to achieve with these enhancements is to create an interesting character, with unique items/abilities/whatsoever to allow the player to have some freshness, without making her a must have character in terms of power.

Edited by kthxbye, 21 July 2009 - 02:13 AM.

#3 Ranadiel

Ranadiel
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:31 AM

Hey congrats on posting the mod. Good job with the readme, it had pretty much all the information that I was looking for. My only remaining questions are where do you find her in BG2 and do you have to have used her in BG1 to get her in BG2?

#4 kthxbye

kthxbye
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:31 AM

Thanks! :)
As of now, she should be in one of the cages in the starting dungeon in BG2, only if you had her during the transition between BG1 and BG2 - so yes, you have to have her in BG1 to use her in BG2.
In the future I'd like to make her available in BG2 even if the player didn't pick her in BG1, I'll let you know if I change her starting location(s).

(As a note, since the mod's still in a beta version and it only has BG1 banters, she has no content at all for BG2 and her joining dialog will be the one she has when you kick her out and then talk to her. I'll change this as soon as I have enough content for the BG1 part of the mod.)

#5 Ranadiel

Ranadiel
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:56 AM

As of now, she should be in one of the cages in the starting dungeon in BG2, only if you had her during the transition between BG1 and BG2 - so yes, you have to have her in BG1 to use her in BG2.
In the future I'd like to make her available in BG2 even if the player didn't pick her in BG1, I'll let you know if I change her starting location(s).

(As a note, since the mod's still in a beta version and it only has BG1 banters, she has no content at all for BG2 and her joining dialog will be the one she has when you kick her out and then talk to her. I'll change this as soon as I have enough content for the BG1 part of the mod.)

Ok thanks, I'll go ahead and update her BG2 entry on my NPC List then.

#6 kthxbye

kthxbye
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:35 PM

I'm happy to announce I finally found some spare time to continue the work on my mod. Right now I decided to add the Tree of Life talk (added 4: romancing, friendship intercourse, neutral, pissed off) and will add some minor content for continuity's sake in BG2, just to make the mod "complete" at least with basic features. I will then proceed to add banters, interjections and such.
As soon as I'll have enough content added, I'll post v0.03OpenBeta.

#7 kthxbye

kthxbye
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:16 AM

Could someone provide me with a list of when each chapter starts/ends in a BG:T game? Bth for the BG1 and the BG2 part of the game.. I'll figure it out myself in my next playthrough but it will take some time, if anyone already has this info at hand and post it would do me a great favor, as I'll be able to use chapter numbers in Rose's dialog checks before finishing my run. :)
Thanks!

#8 Kuugen

Kuugen
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:57 AM

Not too far into my BGT game but
Chapter 1 starts obviously with a New Game
Chapter 2 after the cutscene where gorion dies
Chapter 3 after you get to Nashkiel the first time
Chapter 4 after you take the letter from <boss in nashkiel mines>'s chest
Chapter 5 after you take the scrolls in the big tent in the bandits camp
Chapter 6 after you kill daevaron in the cloakwood mines

Thats as far as I am right now.
I'm playing a lot each day, but I have a BiG World Install so better someone with only BGT completes this list

Edited by Kuugen, 12 August 2009 - 07:05 PM.

#9 kthxbye

kthxbye
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:56 AM

#10 Kuugen

Kuugen
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:04 PM

Chapter 7 after you leave Baldurs Gate with the mission to go to Candlekeep ( I'm unsure about the exact moment but it should be after you talk to Duke Eltan)
Chapter 8 once you escape from the Candlekeep Catacombs ( Exact moment: after you go through the passage that leads outside )

I'm right now at the ToTSC quests but there is no Chapter 9 as of now.
I edited the post before, since the game lists the prologue as chapter 1 and not prologue.

#11 kthxbye

kthxbye
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:18 AM

As of BGT v1.8, the mod probably won't be able to patch the script that manages the transition between BG1 and BG2.
As soon as I release the next version of the mod (a week at most), I'll fix this compatibility issue.

#12 kthxbye

kthxbye
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:48 AM

Updated to v0.03
Fixed the incompatibility issue with BGT v1.8, added some Tree of Life talks (note: in one of them, Rose will leave in future versions, right now she has only dialogs since I already wrote them anyway), added a little clash with Silke and a mini quest revolving around Silke and Rose. Please let me know if the AI of the NPCs I've added is good enough or if it has glitches. I will try my best to improve it as soon as I discover odd behaviors or the like.
Also broken the tp2 into various tph files to make it easier to fix the mod in a BWP install if incompatibilities are found (it will suffice to modify the incompatible tph portion of the install instead of overwriting the entire tp2 file).

As usual, any feedback is more than welcome. :)

#13 The Baboon

The Baboon
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:05 PM

Just how much BG1 content is there at the moment?
I'll take her with me this time, but I don't want to have anyone just tag along silently.

#14 kthxbye

kthxbye
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:32 PM

It's still an Open Beta, so there is little content - 4 friendship banters, a mini quest, one player initiated dialog, two or three general banters and some interjections with the NPCs you can meet in the first half of the game. After that, she'll be silent.. I'm working on it. If you want to try it and comment on her first banters it would be great, but if you want all your characters to have banters 'till the end of the game I think it would be best to wait for another one or two updates, I'll add some banters asap.

#15 The Baboon

The Baboon
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:15 AM

I'll keep her with me until I've seen all the friendship banters, then.

So far, all I can say is that I like the scene where she joins. Oh, and there's a typo in the dialogue with Silke ("Why, I didn't even noticed you.").

#16 kthxbye

kthxbye
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:05 AM

Whoops! Thanks, I'll fix that in the next version. :)

The last banter talk (highlight to see, even if it's not like it spoilers anything..):
Spoiler

I'd really appreciate any comment, criticism and tip you may have on everything I included in the mod - the more the feedback, the best I can make it. :)

#17 The Baboon

The Baboon
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

All right, I'll see that I get all of those.

I'll have to reinstall, though. Some weird stuff seems to have happened during the installation, and as a result, some mods are missing.

I got another interjection out of her so far.
Spoiler

#18 kthxbye

kthxbye
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback. :) I do have to re-read and fix all the dialogs, since all lines so far have been written on the fly - I find it much easier to write a bunch of dialogs and, as soon as they are enough to release the mod as v1 instead of Beta, to read and fix all of them. I'll be extra careful about that aspect, I want her to be a little childish, but not too much.

#19 -Toran-

-Toran-

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:06 AM

Hello Kthxbye,

I'm Toran from Kerzenburg Forum and want translate Rose into german.

So, what is the status of Rose? Will there still be many changes, or can I start translating?

And do not worry, I understand English better than I write and my German is very good.

Toran

#20 -rukiosu-

-rukiosu-

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:18 PM

Hi. I was just wondering what the progress on this was. I tend to install the megamod by hand, and am a somewhat casual player. I like the concept of Rose, and have been looking forward to its completion, but I would like to just install the game once, if at all possible. So I was wondering if you had an estimated completion date, so that I can decide whether it's better to start installing the megamod now, or wait until the Rose mod is finished.