Photo

A glimmer of hope for KotOR III

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Anonymous2

Anonymous2
  • 460 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:10 AM

I'm sure you're all aware of my disgust with Lucas and Bioware over the major botching of the franchise, I've been to the well and back debated with (no offense if you are one) PC fanboys all over the web (including the TOR site itself) who've done their best to team up and crush me but atlas I'm still here and still mightly ticked off...well maybe not as much after getting everything off my chest. I mean lets be real for a moment how can kids actually be looking forward to this, they didn't even finish the bloody trilogy! To compare it'd be like making Halo2 then putting out Halo Wars in Halo3's place, wouldn't they think it might piss alot of people off lol. And I've seen the content, trailers everything and to tell you the truth it looks God awful, they can dress it up at E3 and get Lance Hendriksen in all his voiceover glory but the bottom line is it looks terrible so far...did you see the main bad guy, I mean please, Revan, hell even Malak would mop the floor with him in the character department.

Anyways, there's an article with Feargus Urquhart (Head of Obsidian) and he said they still wants to make KotOR III but really the ball is in LucasArts court. Here's the links, no b.s.

http://www.gamebansh...usurquhart2.php

http://kotor3.net/20...-1/#comment-712

Unless a miracle happens I have an idea how it'll go, in a year or so TOR will be released making lots of money, money money...cause its obviously what George wants to keep his empire going lol! Anyway they'll mull over it and nonetheless turn it down and get started on the money hustling sequel to TOR striking the final blow to the dedicated hardcore fanbase. The End.

But I get it...its a business. Artistic creation will always fall prey to more money to be made. At the end of the day we hardcore fans who invested our time and money are just plain shafted...a shitty state of affairs. Oh well, least there's Mass Effect 2...or is it only a matter of time until it falls prey to the curse of the MMO lol

I'll see ya :whistling:
Disappointed in LucasArts and Bioware.

#2 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for the link.

Man, is there ANY RPG out there that WASN'T rushed out by either the developers or the publishers?

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#3 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

I'd rather they fixed the second one before they started a third one, tbh.

#4 Anonymous2

Anonymous2
  • 460 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:22 PM

I'd rather they fixed the second one before they started a third one, tbh.

That's not being handled by Obsidian, Team Gizka is doing that and from what I understand its done or is almost done. Doesn't really matter as 'if' KotOR III is ever made by Obsidian the fixed product will have no effect on its story...be fun to play through to see what they missed though <_<

#5 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:25 PM

Not wanting to get too OTT, however, Team Gizka doesn't really seem to be doing anything other than teasing its fans of late: announcing new deadlines, and countdowns, only to unveil a several month old trailer for instance. They say that they're nearly done, but stunts like that lend them little credibility :(

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#6 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:45 PM

Maybe I'll find my head mounted on a pike for saying this, but I'd rather never have KotOR3 happen than have it done by Obsidian. Odds are it would be a half-assed, pathetic letdown, just like all of their games. I cannot think of a single game they butchered that did not leave a foul taste in the back of my mouth. (Was that too harsh? I can never tell. :shifty:) Just my two cents.

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#7 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

*Readies pike* :P;)

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#8 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:08 AM

Maybe I'll find my head mounted on a pike for saying this, but I'd rather never have KotOR3 happen than have it done by Obsidian. Odds are it would be a half-assed, pathetic letdown, just like all of their games. I cannot think of a single game they butchered that did not leave a foul taste in the back of my mouth. (Was that too harsh? I can never tell. :shifty:) Just my two cents.

To be fair to Obsidian, KotOR II was mangled by ridiculous time constraints. Had that not happened, given what we have got in KotOR II, it could have been a brilliant game. MotB, whilst short, outclasses pretty much everything Bioware have put out for years, in terms of setting, characters and plot. NWN2 OC, and SoZ, are, I grant you, terrible.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#9 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:05 AM

You should get your facts straight before you condemn a company. LucasArts, as already said, put time constraints on having the game released by Christmas. And anything about bug fixes, LA refused to provide any more funding after the 1.02 patch was released. Blame LA for rushing the game out. Even as is I rather enjoyed it. Great story and characters. Too bad its limited by what would be considered an outdated game engine even at that time.

Only two companies can make Kotor 3 IMO, Obsidian or Bioware.
Her lips were red, her looks were free
Her locks were as yellow as gold
Her skin was white as leprosy.
The Nightmare Life-in-Death was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

http://teambg.net
The Undying

#10 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:54 AM

As it has already been pointed out, we have LucasArts to blame here, not Obsidian.
However, I do agree with Aeryn on one point: I'd rather have no KotOR 3, that a bad KotOR 3. And if that gets my head up on a pike next to Aeryn's, so be it! ;)
I, for one, will still be waiting/hoping for KotOR 3: Chain of Command..... *gazes at the flyboys and sighs*

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#11 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:04 AM

Yeah, I actually liked KotOR II, until the end, which was mangled by LucasArts deciding that the game had to be out by Christmas instead of the original deadline. Although actually, I found the game rather depressing as well, which probably would have still been the case had the cut content been included (as several of your companions were supposed to die).

NWN2 I have yet to play - I've been busy with Fallout 3. I was also hoping to play with MotB but it's not available at Amazon (UK). So can't comment on this one yet.

I am rather excited to find out what they are going to do with Fallout New Vegas, given some of the original Black Isle guys are still there.

#12 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:25 AM

Obsidian accepts jobs knowing full well they will not be able to make a complete, quality product within the time and funding constraints. One horrific mangling of a sequel is one thing - two develops a pattern. I stand by my "condemnation."

I did not hate KotOR2, or NWN2 - I enjoyed them for what they were worth. The disappointment was knowing how good they could have been.

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#13 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:15 AM

I'm playing NWN2 OC right now. Not brilliant so far, to say the least. Kotor2, well, I can only repeat what I"ve already said somewhere here on SHS - it's bad is many ways, but it's the only RPG game released after BG2 that I've replayed.

And yeah, Aeryn, your head looks very pretty sitting on a pike :)

Retired from modding.

#14 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:27 AM

Obsidian accepts jobs knowing full well they will not be able to make a complete, quality product within the time and funding constraints. One horrific mangling of a sequel is one thing - two develops a pattern. I stand by my "condemnation."

I did not hate KotOR2, or NWN2 - I enjoyed them for what they were worth. The disappointment was knowing how good they could have been.

NWN2 OC, long, boring and cliched as it is, is still a huge improvement over NWN1 OC. And Obsidian definitely delivered with MotB. And KotOR II's mangling, was out of their control.

#15 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:45 AM

And yeah, Aeryn, your head looks very pretty sitting on a pike :)

Heh, I can take it. ^_^ I believe Obsidian has very poor management of their projects - just because that's my opinion does not mean everyone has to share it.

NWN2 OC, long, boring and cliched as it is, is still a huge improvement over NWN1 OC. And Obsidian definitely delivered with MotB.

Yeah, but the value of NWN, for me at least, is not so much the OC - it's the toolset and community made mods. I have played with the NWN toolset, I have not played with the NWN2 toolset (aside from opening it, scratching my head in wonderment, then closing it again immediately), so I won't claim this is from personal experience, but I have not met a single modder who gushed with praise over the NWN2 tooset. I've heard of several people getting so frustrated that they just give up, or go back to NWN modding. I was looking forward to NWN2 for biggest reason of mods - and it's been a major letdown in that area.

And if expansions make the game, then HotU destroys MotB imho. :P

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#16 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:44 AM

I must admit NWN is the only Bioware game that's disappointed me. I found it exceedingly dull - so much so that I never bothered with the expansions. But then I hadn't really discovered the wonderful world of mods when I played it. Still, the rubbish camera and AI thing got on my nerves.

Can't imagine NWN2 is worse. :D

#17 Anonymous2

Anonymous2
  • 460 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

Okay I think we've gotten quite off topic lol, I think we can agree that KotOR II was certainly rushed by the publisher and Obsidian bears some of the blame, the engine was old, lots of framerate issues but I guess at the end it was more of a KotOR 1.5 with cool new features and a half-finished story...regardless it was still a good game I enjoyed and would welcome a sequel by Obsidian or anyone else, well...maybe not EA lol.

I just hope whether now or after TOR is released it gets some consideration and Lucas stops putting things on the shelf for almost 5 years lol, we're not making Oblivion here, its KotOR...you just need a good story arc then the rest falls into place.

Edited by Anonymous2, 09 August 2009 - 12:32 PM.

#18 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:39 PM

I'd say it would take place in the Unknown Regions... Revan never returned to known galaxy, after all.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#19 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:02 PM

I think the hypothetical KotOR3 would take place in the same sort of time as the first two so it'd have to be a few years after the Exile left to search for Revan.

Like Choo Choo says, it'd probably have to take place in the Unknown Regions because the last two games have basically set that plotline up: Revan went to the Unknown Regions to look for some threat; the Exile went to follow in Revan's footsteps and find him. However I imagine that there'd still be links to the Known (?) Regions as there are still things left up in the air, such as Canderous/Mandalore, Carth and Bastila all waiting for orders from Revan. KotOR2 was generally bleak and had that as being just an order that never came, but if there was a 3rd game they'd presumably have to wrap that up.

And of course, there's T3-M4 and HK-47, who have served both Revan and the Exile.

#20 Anonymous2

Anonymous2
  • 460 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

Follow link for discussion-

http://www.shsforums...showtopic=41828

This can remain a discussion on the new news of a possible KotOR III.

Edited by Anonymous2, 09 August 2009 - 12:31 PM.