Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:14 PM

File Name: Zalnoya and the shadow thieves
File Submitter: prune1
File Submitted: 18 Aug 2009
File Updated: 08 Nov 2011
File Category: Miscellaneous Released Mods

Components:

1) Zalnoya and the shadow thieves:
-Adds a small encounter with a vampire, and a shadow thief. This is my first attempt at modding IE and BG2 in particular, so don't expect anything big; when I say small, i mean small, like tiny, insignificant (ok, scratch the last one, otherwise why bother dowloading it...it's not too tiny, I hope!).

2) Standard vampire encounters fix
-The normal game needlessly restricits your access to these encounters if you side with Bodhi. This should remedy the situation. See the third post for greater insight if required.

Please see readme for basic information.

What follows is a little more information, but it contains spoilers, so stop reading if not interested in such!

This mod will simply add a small encounter between the warring shadow thief and vampire guilds. You most probably have run into these before unless you speed through the game at a rate of knots. So expect something similar.

The actual encounter will take place
Spoiler

Even more exact data as to where in above mentioned place it occurs:
Spoiler

If anyone runs into any problems, just post here and let me know.

Click here to download this file

Edited by prune1, 08 November 2011 - 05:18 AM.

#2 prune1

prune1
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:07 AM

Just a small note to say a couple of things have been changed in the mod, and it is now v1.2 as of a few days ago.

The main change is making the event not occur simply on the first night you happen to be in the appropriate place, but at some later point in time. This will hopefully make it a bit more random as to its occurence in subsequent playthroughs.

Also, any feedback would be much appreciated - I know I said to post about errors or mistakes, but of course any other feelings are welcome.

Edit: Is there any reason this mod is not listed in the sticky 'Miscellaneous Released Mods Index and Introduction'? I'll edit this out if and once it is either added to the list there, or someone explains to me why it is not on there. Thank you.

Edited by prune1, 16 October 2009 - 08:23 AM.

#3 prune1

prune1
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

Another update. Mod is now v1.3.

No change to the core component.

Added a new component: Standard vampire encounters fix.

Some more info on this new component; here is a, admittedly copied almost verbatim, post of mine from the G3 fixpack forums. I posted there some time ago, but there was no reply and there generally does not seem to be much activity there at the time of writing, so I took it upon myself to make the small change required to create this 'fix':

I've very recently started to try and learn to mod BG2, and my first idea was about an additional shadow thief/vampire encounter. Someone suggested looking up VAMPSTTP.BCS to see how the events already in the game work out.

Upon further examination I think there's something a little odd going on here. The problem does not break anything but it limits options for the player needlessly. Or, rather, if the player picks a particular route, he loses out on content he shouldn't.

The following is the format that the code takes for each of the 5 encounters, and taking the 4th such encounter in particular:

IF
Detect([PC])
Range([PC],20)
OR(3)
Global("AmaWaukeen","GLOBAL",0)
Dead("shthass1") // Ama
!AreaCheck("AR0700")
CombatCounter(0)
GlobalLT("Chapter","GLOBAL",4)
Global("VampShadWar","GLOBAL",4)
Global("WorkingForBodhi","GLOBAL",0)
GlobalTimerExpired("VampShadTimer","GLOBAL")
OR(2)
TimeGT(24)
TimeLT(DAWN_START)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("VampShadWar","GLOBAL",5)
SetGlobalTimer("VampShadTimer","GLOBAL",3600)
CreateCreatureObject("VVTANOV",Myself,0,0,0) // Tanova
CreateCreatureObject("VVMALE3",Myself,0,0,0) // Vampire
CreateCreatureObject("VVMALE4",Myself,0,0,0) // Vampire
ActionOverride("VVTANOV",MoveToObject([PC]))
ActionOverride("VVMALE3",MoveToObject([PC]))
ActionOverride("VVMALE4",MoveToObject([PC]))
END

The Workingforbodhi being checked to be 0 should not be there. That whole line, i think, should be removed. There is actually dialogue that deals with the case that the player may be aligned with bodhi.

Again, taking the dialogue relevant to the above event:

BEGIN ~VVTANOV~

IF ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)~ THEN BEGIN 0 // from:
SAY #41348 /* ~You! Stand and declare your allegiance! Are you Shadow Thief?~ */
IF ~~ THEN REPLY #41350 /* ~What? Why are you asking?~ */ GOTO 1
IF ~~ THEN REPLY #41351 /* ~Out of my way. I have no time for this.~ */ GOTO 1
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 1 // from: 0.1 0.0
SAY #41352 /* ~A yes or no is all that is required! Declare your allegiance! Are you Shadow Thief?~ */
IF ~Global("WorkingForBodhi","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN REPLY #41354 /* ~Yes, I currently work for the Shadow Thieves~ */ GOTO 2
IF ~Global("WorkingForBodhi","GLOBAL",0)
Global("WorkingForAran","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN REPLY #41355 /* ~Yes, I currently work for the Shadow Thieves~ */ GOTO 3
IF ~Global("WorkingForAran","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN REPLY #41356 /* ~Yes, I currently work for the Shadow Thieves~ */ GOTO 3
IF ~Global("WorkingForBodhi","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN REPLY #41358 /* ~I do not have allegiance to any such guild.~ */ GOTO 4
IF ~Global("WorkingForBodhi","GLOBAL",0)
Global("WorkingForAran","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN REPLY #41359 /* ~I do not have allegiance to any such guild.~ */ GOTO 5
IF ~Global("WorkingForAran","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN REPLY #41360 /* ~I do not have allegiance to any such guild.~ */ GOTO 7
IF ~Global("WorkingForBodhi","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN REPLY #41361 /* ~I work for Mistress Bodhi. Are you threatening me?~ */ GOTO 8
END

I have omitted the rest of the dialogue for brevity, but you can clearly see that just in case "WorkingForBodhi" is 1, the game still works it all out fine.

As it stands, if and once you side with Bodhi, these events will cease to happen, and I can't see any reason why they should; clearly niether did the developers since they included the dialogue lines.

In fact, the 'unfinished business' mod adds 2 more encounters to these original 5, and omits this very line i'm talking about within its conditons, whilst including all the rest, just as I do.

The same problem exists in all 5 of the original encounters, and it seems to me that all you need to do is remove that variable check.

So I went ahead and removed that variable check. Not much more to it than that, despite my verbose explanations.

I just want to be clear though. So, if anyone sees a flaw in either my justification, or in my code, if you care to look, let me know. And of course post if something goes wrong in-game.

#4 prune1

prune1
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:01 PM

Mod updated to v1.4.

Changes from the readme:

v1.4:
-Fixed a major 'bug'. V1.3 erroneously required the 'standard vampire encounters fix' component installed in order for the 'Zalnoya and the shadow thieves' component to function. This should no longer be the case. Both components are independent as they should be now.
-Zalnoya can now, additionally, be encountered in Bodhi's lair as an enemy.

Edited by prune1, 19 November 2009 - 01:05 PM.

#5 prune1

prune1
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:55 AM

Updated to 1.5.

From the readme:

v1.5:
-Traified mod
-Updated Weidu (v229)
-Added Russian translation by Austin from www.arcanecoast.ru
-Many thanks to prowler from SHS and the team at arcanecoast.ru for the above changes

I had plans of making the mod bigger, but just haven't had the time. It was more an excersie in learning to code, at least somewhat, in baldur's gate as I'm not a coder at all.
Thanks to prowler for letting me know the team at arcanecoast.ru traified the mod for me, aswell as providing a translation!

#6 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

Good job, keep going.

It becomes somewhat easier over time and all.

As for it not being on the list, you have to promote it yourself. Shoot a PM to Vik (it probably got missed), and add it to the PPG modlist.

This is a busy place (ex-forum mod here), and things get overlooked. It is nothing personal, just lots of traffic and all that.

Congratulations on your first mod!

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#7 prune1

prune1
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:18 AM

Updated to v1.6; added french translation by Le Marquis, thanks to him and Graoumf.

Good job, keep going.

It becomes somewhat easier over time and all.

As for it not being on the list, you have to promote it yourself. Shoot a PM to Vik (it probably got missed), and add it to the PPG modlist.

This is a busy place (ex-forum mod here), and things get overlooked. It is nothing personal, just lots of traffic and all that.

Congratulations on your first mod!

Sorry for the belated reply: Appreciate the support, and of course I realise it's no big deal. I actually haven't alerted anyone to it since, simply because it's not really a mod that adds a whole lot, just a tiny encounter, so no one is missing out on too much. Was just a fun exercise that I may add to in years to come and if it gets worthwhile I'll ask for the list to be updated. Although, I do see the second component as a fix and am not sure why it hasn't been picked up on by any fixpack - I guess we get into that whole argument of what is a fix and what is not depending on point of view...

Edited by prune1, 07 November 2011 - 06:19 AM.

#8 Graoumf

Graoumf
  • 594 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:24 AM

Thank you for the update. :)
I think there is a little mistake: when I unzip the package, I have a directory and inside the directory I have the right files.

#9 prune1

prune1
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:59 AM

Thank you for the update. :)
I think there is a little mistake: when I unzip the package, I have a directory and inside the directory I have the right files.

Ah, I'll fix that. There's also a german translation I just got messaged about, so will include that and update when I get it.

#10 prune1

prune1
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:19 AM

Added German translation by Jarl2.

#11 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

Found a few small typos:

AJ#ASSD.tra:

~Encoraching on our territory like this; we can't be having that now, can we?~
~Quiet, foul one. *You* are the one interfering. Encoraching on our territory like this; we can't be having that now can we?~

Encoraching -> Encroaching

~Oh, most definitely. But not you, i'm afraid...~

i'm -> I'm

~I have a strange feeling that i've heard this before...yes, just a minute ago, in fact.~

i've -> I've

AJ#STHD.tra:

~Allright, you tell your mistress I am with her. It will be my pleasure to serve someone with real power.~

Allright -> Alright

#12 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

Allright should be All right. Alright is not a word.

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#13 Quester

Quester
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

Allright should be All right. Alright is not a word.

http://dictionary.re...wse/alright?s=t

#14 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

I'm fine with All right as well but Alright is certainly a valid word as Quester points out.

Edited by hook71, 03 March 2012 - 01:31 PM.