Photo

I wish to know about Dambrath in Faerun

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jcdf

jcdf
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:04 PM

I am curious about a particular part of Faerun called Dambrath. Here is what I know about it:

History:
211 DR: Four tribes of barbarians called the Arkaium fleeing the legions of Unther and Mulhorand settle along the coast of the Bay of Dancing Dolphins.
545 DR: King Reinhar I officaly founds the nation of Dambrath and leads an invasion of Luiren, conquering it?s halfling inhabitants.
802 DR: Miners in the Gnollwatch mountains make first contact with the drow city of T?lindhet.
831 DR: The drow invade and take control of Dambrath.
By 1358 DR Dambrath contains the cities of Cathyr, Herath, Maarlith, Purl and T?lindhet of the Underdark region.
It is ruled by a group of elves known as the Crinti a product of human drow interbreeding.

Significant Geographical features include:

The Bay of Dancing Dolphins at the centre of Dambrath, named for the Dolphins synchronized swimming in the bay.
Gnollwatch Mountains and the ?Hills Of The Dead Kings? that form the northern border of Dambrath.
The river Ammath to the east. The river Dambron in the west flows form the Gnollwatch mountains.
Rethild (The Great Swamp) lies between the western border of Dambrath and the Eastern Wall of Halruaa. It is home to ruins and various monsters such as shambling mounds, tendriculoses and lizardfolk as well as a particularly clever dragoon named Valraxaxath.
The Kingdom of Dambrath is bordered on it?s east by Luiren. On it?s North by the Shaar. On it?s west by Halruaa. On it?s south by the Great Sea.

Religion:
The worshiped deities are: Loviatar, Lolth, Malar and Eilistraee.

I would like to know more about the region, important people, details of cities & towns, religions etc between the dates 200 DR and 900 DR in particular. Any information or books suggested or links you could provide would be most appreciated. Thankyou! :)

#2 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:11 PM

Hey there jcdf, I've moved your topic to Delusions of the Mind--a more appropriate section for lore-based questions. :cheers:

And welcome to SHS! Always great to see a new face. :)

#3 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:16 PM

The Shining South supplement has a good 15 pages on Dambrath alone, including about 2 pages of timeline covering those dates you're interested in. You can get it on Amazon fairly cheap.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#4 jcdf

jcdf
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:17 AM

The Shining South supplement has a good 15 pages on Dambrath alone, including about 2 pages of timeline covering those dates you're interested in. You can get it on Amazon fairly cheap.

Thanks for the advise Miloch. This is prove most useful for my research endeavours.
:D

#5 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

There's another older supplement, also called Shining South, that might also be useful to you. And the other book that would be useful is The Grand History of the Realms, which can also still be obtained.

I'm sorry to say it's not an area I have taken much interest in. I can tell you that the present-day day-to-day rulers, the Crinti, are effectively half-elves (specifically, half-drow) and mostly descended from half-elven priestesses of Loviatar who betrayed the nation when it was first conquered by the Drow. They're notorious as cavalry raiders in neighbouring countries, and for plotting against each other. The drow are not really interested in ruling on the surface, but when they do intervene the Crinti aren't regarded as much more sophisticated than common humans. The current queen (and it is always a queen) is Hasifir, who is a descendant.

Prior to the drow attack, Dambrath had been aggressive against most of it's neighbours. They'd invaded, and been driven out of, Luiren, Durpar, Estagund, and Halruaa. There's some suggestion that some ancestors of the Arkaiun barbarians were Illuskans from the North, and came to the Shaar via a magic portal to escape war in the north. Others are supposed to be Nars, also a long way from their ancestral regions, in this case reputedly descended from escaped slaves from Mulhorand and Unther. All the kings of Dambrath were called Reinhar, which since some are second sons or nephews suggests it's a name that people take on becoming king rather than one they're given.

One bit of trivia; the capital, Cathyr, is named after the first Crinti queen of Dambrath.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.