Hardly An Artist: my gallery

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Itarilde

Itarilde
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:23 AM

Oh, well.

Here are some of my BG works; any feedback is welcome, especially if you can tell me how to fix some mistakes ;)

Portrait alternatives:

Aerie: I didn't like the stuff in her hair, I tweaked a bit her face as well.
Posted Image

Edwin: someone of his great taste should know that mixing silver and gold jewellery is awful ;) He got some hair too, and the robe is no longer pink.
Posted Image

Haer'dalis: I gave him "fiendish" eyes ;) I don't like his hair, though. I think I'll give him another try... later.
Posted Image

Immy: BG2 colours! Hair needs fixing...
Posted Image

Nalia: I did nothing radical, but she looks better now, or at least I think so. I guess I should do something with her clothes, any tips welcome.
Posted Image

Viconia: awwww :rolleyes: that's my favourite one ;)
Posted Image

Sarevok: yep. Normal eyes and less colourful armour ^^
Posted Image

Something silly: Sarevok with hair (I couldn't help), he looks much less scary now, doesn't he?
Posted Image

Some portraits painted from scratch:
I don't really like it. The shadows really suck and her elven chain wannabe looks more like a green leather catsuit. Maybe someone could help me with this one? :rolleyes:
Posted Image

The slightly unfinished look is intended: it was something quick and uncomplicated. Something's wrong with her lips, I think (yeah, as you probably guessed, I have a green eyes fetish.)
Posted Image

This little thing is a portrait for my <CHARNAME> and probably the most dreamy and sweet image I've ever produced. I didn't want the pink background at first, but it looked nicer than the other ones.
Posted Image

Baldur's Gate II Pixels:
Imoen looks like a dress-up doll. I will probably make a new version. From the below characters, I'm most satisfied with Anomen and Edwin.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Sorry for my inconsistent English. I didn't sleep well... (I had been drawing till 4 a.m.) :rolleyes:

EDIT: I FORGOT!!!

Kivan portrait edits: the bottom row with light rays on his face, the bottom without. From left to right: green eyes, brown eyes, grey eyes. The bottom left is my favourite.
Posted Image

Edited by Itarilde, 04 September 2009 - 03:31 AM.

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:58 AM

Nice work.

Edwin should have no hair actually, since (at the time of BG2 anyway) Thayans shave their heads in imitation of the ruling Mulan, and also to better display their tattoos which indicate their social status. (It is Minsc who should have hair, since this sort of practice would have been abhorrent to Rashemi.)

Viconia's irises should be red, but not the whites of her eyes! :o

There is a very similar edit of Sarevok floating around here somewhere a while back... unless it was yours?

As for Kivan, I think the first is probably the best, though it almost looks like he's wearing a wig. Maybe blend some more shadows around the hairline and move the widow's peak a bit to the right? Also, the light should probably cast a reflection on his hair, but it doesn't really look right coming in front of him.

Edited by Miloch, 04 September 2009 - 09:00 AM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 Lurker of the north

Lurker of the north

Permanently temporary

• 97 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:15 AM

Hardly An Artist

...you're being much too modest, there are some really good stuff here. (And you know it.)
;)
LotN

#4 Rzepik

Rzepik
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:36 AM

Edwin should have no hair actually, since (at the time of BG2 anyway) Thayans shave their heads in imitation of the ruling Mulan, and also to better display their tattoos which indicate their social status.

Roar! Stay away from his pretty long hair!!! :P
Srsly, he wasn't in Thay for a long time. And in SoA Thayans are trying to kill him... maybe because of his hair :P

I like Eddie and Kivan (he looks like Janosik [PL]).
But I can't see the point of repleacing whole hair in some portraits. Editing original gives better results.

#5 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:04 AM

I like these.

In the Edwin Romance mod, there's a conversation about his hair (and why he didn't shave it off because he had a naughty tattoo on his head his mother wouldn't approve of). Obviously that's not canon but an Eddie with hair would be nice to use for that mod if nothing else.

I like H'D's eyes - he looks more like a tiefling and less like an elf, as he does in SoA.

Sarevok with hair...nooooo! Heh.

#6 Itarilde

Itarilde
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:21 AM

Hey, thanks for the feedback;)

About Edwin: I know that he should be bald, just like Minsc should be hairy. And yes, I love Edwin Romance ;)

Kivan (he looks like Janosik [PL]).

Right you are! I can see it now.

Viconia's irises should be red, but not the whites of her eyes!

Of course. Now I'm really confused about IWD2 Drow portraits (they have plain red eyes, without irises and pupils) ;)

As for Kivan, I think the first is probably the best, though it almost looks like he's wearing a wig. Maybe blend some more shadows around the hairline and move the widow's peak a bit to the right? Also, the light should probably cast a reflection on his hair, but it doesn't really look right coming in front of him.

I know. The widow's peak is in the same place as in the original portrait; I just gave him too much hair on the left side. Shame on me.

But I can't see the point of repleacing whole hair in some portraits. Editing original gives better results.

At first, I replaced only Aerie's hair; she had so much things on her head I didn't like. The same about Nalia, although she still looks strange. Immy and HD... yeah. I did terrible things to them.

There is a very similar edit of Sarevok floating around here somewhere a while back... unless it was yours?

No, unless the file managed to crawl from my hard drive to the internet. I've seen some other "Sarevok with normal eyes" portraits. I guess I'm not the only one disturbed by the yellow glow.

Sarevok with hair...nooooo! Heh.

(evil cackle)
He doesn't look like himself anymore, does he?

#7 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:57 AM

Now I'm really confused about IWD2 Drow portraits (they have plain red eyes, without irises and pupils) ;)

Artistic laziness, possibly :D.

As for Kivan...

I know. The widow's peak is in the same place as in the original portrait

In that case, maybe his tattoo is off center :blink:.

No, unless the file managed to crawl from my hard drive to the internet. I've seen some other "Sarevok with normal eyes" portraits.

No, it wasn't yours. I was thinking of this one, and I guess it's not all that similar. But in both, he seems to lack eyelashes or an upper eyelid or something... can't quite place it.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#8 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:39 PM

No epicanthal fold.

-Y-

#9 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:19 PM

OMG kivan is the win XD <3<3<3

as for the portrait you did, I have a comment on the 1st one. I think eyes are a little bit big and need more hair on top of the head :o otherwise, its brilliant :D I want to request a portrait if you have time :X

Edited by princesspurpleblob, 05 September 2009 - 04:22 PM.

#10 Itarilde

Itarilde
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:57 AM

In that case, maybe his tattoo is off center :blink:.
[...]
But in both, he seems to lack eyelashes or an upper eyelid or something... can't quite place it.

Regarding Kivan, blame the atrist who made the original portrait ;) I'm currently working on it... heh, I think I should draw some guidelines or something.

About Sarevok... yeah, something's not quite right. In the original bright yellow glow, many details were lost.

No epicanthal fold.

You mean Sarevok, right?

OMG kivan is the win XD <3<3<3

as for the portrait you did, I have a comment on the 1st one. I think eyes are a little bit big and need more hair on top of the head :oohmy.gif otherwise, its brilliant :D I want to request a portrait if you have time :X

Ohh, thanks! I can draw a portrait for you, I think :) You're welcome!

(actually, I'm browsing CGTalk gallery now... My little pieces of work are pitiful, compared to theirs.)

BTW, could anyone recommend me a good tutorial on drawing clothes? Pretty please? :wub:

#11 Itarilde

Itarilde
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:43 AM

Small update today. I caught a really terrible cold and the only thing I somehow managed to do is a fixed version of Kivan's portrait:
Posted Image

#12 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:43 PM

I somehow managed to do is a fixed version of Kivan's portrait:

Much better :cheers:. Only quibble is that I'm not a big fan of over-the-top elf ears. IMO they should be roughly the size of human ears, just pointed on the top (half-elf ears being the same but somewhere between pointed sharply and rounded). So you might see the point just barely sticking out of his hair, or you might not if it's thick enough.

#13 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:40 AM

This little thing is a portrait for my <CHARNAME> and probably the most dreamy and sweet image I've ever produced. I didn't want the pink background at first, but it looked nicer than the other ones.
http://img515.images.../3636/elfqd.jpg

She makes me think of Raelis Shai !
She's gorgeous !
« Regarde moi ces émincés d'oignons, je voudrais tous les enfiler sur une corde pour m'en faire une parure ! »