How to start SOS?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:07 AM

So our story begins in Trademeet, where our hero learns that some mysterious men from the north are looking for them. What those men want, we are not sure. But after a time of searching Amn, our great hero finds a sneaky thief who 'employs' us to do some 'work.' After completing the jobs, the sneaky thief will finally tell our hero what needs to be done to move on. And our hero does indeed move on, finding some letters which leads them to the mysterious men. These mysterious men will explain the entire situation, and the hero can accept (continue the mod) or decline to help. (from Ascension64)

I have a BGT game going. I have followed the above instructions, but with NO success. I have search all Trademeet for the sneaky thief, but have not found him. The only non-Trademeet person I found is Mordragon, a paladin.

My questions:

1) Where is the sneaky thief?
2) Is there another quest that must be completed before the sneaky thief shows up?
3) Is this the way to start SOS from a BGT game?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Edited by tomkaz, 04 September 2009 - 07:08 AM.

#2 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:22 PM

There are two different ways to start the mod which will start with Selence quests:

1) Talk to Ceeb Bisson in Trademeet Inn if you have a stronghold and then talk to Selence in Waukeen's Promenade

2) Initiate dialog with Selence to get Gaelan to show up with information. This will cost gold and will eliminate the need to talk to Ceeb in Trademeet.

Selence's first quest will involve you getting something from the Government district. Make sure to go where she says first but it will end up being a quest to retrieve an item in Brynnlaw so it will have to happen before you go to Spellhold.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#3 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:56 PM

Hoppy, thanks for the reply.

I do not have a Trademeet Inn on my map, The only place I have that is close to that is Vyatri's Pub. No one named Ceeb is in there. So I will hunt for Gaelan and give him the 10,000 gold. I have a lot more than that.

I will reply when I get past Selence and her quest.

Tom

#4 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:20 PM

Viatri's is the one ^_^

Ceeb spawns if you have one of the strongholds. If you want more details look in AR2010.BCS but I am sure he spawns unless you have an incompatibility somewhere.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#5 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:36 PM

Hi Hoppy:

My main character is a Paladin (Undead Hunter). He did not get the stronghold when he killed Firkraag. So I bought a home in the Snowflake Mountains hoping that would work. No one shows up in Viatri's Pub. If I had Ceeb's ID, I could use CLUAConsole to force him into the Pub.

Tom

To CLUA in Ceeb, the code is CBCEEB01.

Edited by tomkaz, 05 September 2009 - 06:53 AM.

#6 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:38 AM

The only strongholds that work are the regular game strongholds, not modded ones if any. The cheat probably will work if he will still talk to you, or to make things work even clearer, cheat the Paladin stronghold global as well.

SetGlobal("PaladinOrder","GLOBAL",1)

- King Diamond

#7 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:28 AM

Hi Hoppy:

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the Paladin cheat first and see how that works.

Tom

#8 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:55 PM

Continued from above.

I did the Paladin cheat. Ceeb appeared and did talk to me. I followed instructions and talked with Selence. She gave me a quest to get money from Horton. He was not home, but I was told he was at Byrnlaw. I went to Byrnlaw, got Imoen, saw Cadderly, and found Wyrbin Horton.

If I click on him, I get the following:

-----Eh, chum? Wot choo want?
Press continue:
-----Choo ain't gonna be helpin' me none. Bugga off, 'fore choo git inta trouble.
End Dialogue.

I pick pocket him, no items.
I kill him, no key or items.

How do I fix this so I can leave Byrnlaw?

Tom
EDIT: Please forgive my stupidity. I just realized (after further reading) the person I want is named Williams not Horton. Sorry for wasting this space.

Edited by tomkaz, 09 September 2009 - 01:10 PM.

#9 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:35 PM

Understandable. Uhh..why were you not getting the Paladin stronghold again? I ask because that is almost unmodded material and want to make sure something isn't going wrong for SoS to commence.

- King Diamond

#10 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:08 PM

Continued from above.

I did the Paladin cheat. Ceeb appeared and did talk to me. I followed instructions and talked with Selence. She gave me a quest to get money from Horton. He was not home, but I was told he was at Byrnlaw. I went to Byrnlaw, got Imoen, saw Cadderly, and found Wyrbin Horton.

If I click on him, I get the following:

-----Eh, chum? Wot choo want?
Press continue:
-----Choo ain't gonna be helpin' me none. Bugga off, 'fore choo git inta trouble.
End Dialogue.

I pick pocket him, no items.
I kill him, no key or items.

How do I fix this so I can leave Byrnlaw?

Tom
EDIT: Please forgive my stupidity. I just realized (after further reading) the person I want is named Williams not Horton. Sorry for wasting this space.

LOL... not a waste of space...let me get this straight... "sorry I killed you bub... I thought you were someone else...." What a way to go... bet he thought the gods were pretty unjust that day :)

It takes a village...

#11 Ztartrax

Ztartrax
  • 667 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:29 PM

Viatri's is the one ^_^

Ceeb spawns if you have one of the strongholds. If you want more details look in AR2010.BCS but I am sure he spawns unless you have an incompatibility somewhere.

What do you mean "Ceeb spawns if you have one of the Strongholds"?

I´ve reed the dialogue here and are a little bit confused, I talked to Selence and she wants me to get some money from a William in the Government District, but he is never at home when Im there. I didnt talk to anyone before Selence.

/Ztartrax

#12 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:32 PM

I talked to Selence and she wants me to get some money from a William in the Government District, but he is never at home when Im there.
/Ztartrax

He is on the pirate island.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#13 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:42 PM

You also have to talk to the servant in the William's estate (Government District) first or you will never get the key.

RE: Ceeb spawning in Viatri's

He only spawns if the player has a stronghold; De'arnisse Hold, Five Flagons playhouse, Thief stronghold, etc.,
and has not started Selence's dialogs and quests.

Edited by Hoppy, 16 March 2010 - 12:43 PM.

- King Diamond

#14 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:33 AM

After installing SoS under Mac OS X (10.4.11 on a PowerPC Mac), I find no .cre file for either CBCEEB01 or for CBISSON1 in the override folder. There are CBISSON1.bcs and CBISSON1.dlg files there, but no .cre, so of course the character doesn't appear in Vyatri's Pub, nor can I summon using CLUAConsole. Did something go wrong with the installation?

Installing the mod added the following folders to my BGII game folder:

SOS-SPL
SOS-RULE
SOS-MVE
SOS-MOS
SOS-ITM
SOS-DLG
SOS-CRE
SOS-BCS
SOS-BAM
SOS-ARE
SOSDLG
SOS-WAV2
SOS-WAV1
SOS-TIS2
SOS-TIS1

I see the .cre files in SOS-CRE, so I suppose I could drag/drop them into the override, but that's not the preferred method ;) I'm not sure how to proceed to make the mod work as it should.

Contents of my current weidu.log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1001 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update -> GTU Classic (from Baldurdash, by Kevin Dorner): v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!): v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #102 // Cromwell's Forging Actually Takes a Day: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #103 // Mixed-Use Dagger Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers and Stalkers: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in Wrath Hell Trial: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #114 // Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun: v9
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #0 // 1PP: Everything but Potions
~ITEM_REV.TP2~ #0 #0 // Item Revisions by Demivrgvs: v2 (Hotfix 20091009)
~ITEM_REV.TP2~ #0 #1 // Masterwork Weapons: v2 (Hotfix 20091009)
~SETUP-TDD.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Darkest Day, v1.12: v1.12 BWP Fix
~SETUP-TDD.TP2~ #0 #1 // TDD Character Kits: v1.12 BWP Fix
~NYTHRUNFIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // Nythrun's Broken Cre/Itm/Spl Fix
~TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #1 // Required files for scrollable kit selection: Beta 0001
~SETUP-SOS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Shadows Over Soubar: 1.13

Please help! If it matters, I have not used the BiG World Fixpack file Setup-SOS.tp2.patch or the BiG World Smoothpack file SOS-TISOGGBIFF.bat.patch (and the .bat.patch file would do me no good anyway, as Macs don't do .bat files).

Thanks,
Eric

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#15 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:17 PM

Shadows Over Soubar's normal TP2 runs a BIFF routine batch file called SOS-TISOGGBIFF to take those folders you mentioned and biff the files. These are added to the DATA folder under SOS-BAM.BIF, etc. If that didn't happen then your chitin.key may not have been updated and you will have game errors. Try uninstalling SOS first and then run the installer again to install it. It is imperative that that batch file runs.

Are you planning on running the Generalized Biffing routine or something else as with the BWP? If so, then I can't help you there at this point in time.

- King Diamond

#16 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:29 PM

After installing SoS under Mac OS X (10.4.11 on a PowerPC Mac), I find no .cre file for either CBCEEB01 or for CBISSON1 in the override folder. There are CBISSON1.bcs and CBISSON1.dlg files there, but no .cre, so of course the character doesn't appear in Vyatri's Pub, nor can I summon using CLUAConsole. Did something go wrong with the installation?

Installing the mod added the following folders to my BGII game folder:

SOS-SPL
SOS-RULE
SOS-MVE
SOS-MOS
SOS-ITM
SOS-DLG
SOS-CRE
SOS-BCS
SOS-BAM
SOS-ARE
SOSDLG
SOS-WAV2
SOS-WAV1
SOS-TIS2
SOS-TIS1

I see the .cre files in SOS-CRE, so I suppose I could drag/drop them into the override, but that's not the preferred method Posted Image I'm not sure how to proceed to make the mod work as it should.

Contents of my current weidu.log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1001 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update -> GTU Classic (from Baldurdash, by Kevin Dorner): v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!): v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #102 // Cromwell's Forging Actually Takes a Day: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #103 // Mixed-Use Dagger Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers and Stalkers: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in Wrath Hell Trial: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon behavior: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #114 // Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun: v9
~1PP.TP2~ #0 #0 // 1PP: Everything but Potions
~ITEM_REV.TP2~ #0 #0 // Item Revisions by Demivrgvs: v2 (Hotfix 20091009)
~ITEM_REV.TP2~ #0 #1 // Masterwork Weapons: v2 (Hotfix 20091009)
~SETUP-TDD.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Darkest Day, v1.12: v1.12 BWP Fix
~SETUP-TDD.TP2~ #0 #1 // TDD Character Kits: v1.12 BWP Fix
~NYTHRUNFIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // Nythrun's Broken Cre/Itm/Spl Fix
~TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #1 // Required files for scrollable kit selection: Beta 0001
~SETUP-SOS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Shadows Over Soubar: 1.13

Please help! If it matters, I have not used the BiG World Fixpack file Setup-SOS.tp2.patch or the BiG World Smoothpack file SOS-TISOGGBIFF.bat.patch (and the .bat.patch file would do me no good anyway, as Macs don't do .bat files).

Thanks,
Eric

What is the area number of Vyatri's Pub? Do a ctrl-x when in it and it will be displayed. Then post the area's bcs file. All the conditions for Ceeb to be created must 1st be met for him to be created.

It takes a village...

#17 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

I see the .cre files in SOS-CRE, so I suppose I could drag/drop them into the override, but that's not the preferred method ;)

Since SOS does biffing by .bat, your game won't be biffed and so his .cre would still probably be in SOS-CRE... which means you'll have to manually copy everything from all those "SOS-XXX" folders (except .d's, .baf's, .tiz's and .ogg's) to your override ;) (ofcourse, it's times like this when Gen_biff comes in handy. Now your override's gonna get really cluttered :devil:)

PS: The same thing should've happened with TDD :unsure: It creates folders and biffs through a .bat, how did you get that to work??

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#18 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

Shadows Over Soubar's normal TP2 runs a BIFF routine batch file called SOS-TISOGGBIFF to take those folders you mentioned and biff the files. These are added to the DATA folder under SOS-BAM.BIF, etc. If that didn't happen then your chitin.key may not have been updated and you will have game errors. Try uninstalling SOS first and then run the installer again to install it. It is imperative that that batch file runs.

Are you planning on running the Generalized Biffing routine or something else as with the BWP? If so, then I can't help you there at this point in time.

Looks to me like I've got some manual file placing to do. That doesn't bother me; I just want the mod to work properly. Again, Mac OS X does NOT do .bat files. I make more work for myself when installing mods that are not written for Mac, I understand, but I've had success installing some of them, with adjustments as needed. I predict that uninstalling and reinstalling SoS will yield 100% the same result as I got the first time, so I need more than that. I'll try the suggestions posted below in this thread. As always, I'll post the results, and go from there.

As I have no experience with biffing, I have no intention of biffing anything. With my luck, that will only make matters worse ;)

Thanks!
Eric

Edited by Eric P., 31 March 2010 - 05:02 PM.

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#19 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

it's times like this when Gen_biff comes in handy. Now your override's gonna get really cluttered :devil:)

Or any biffing period. It sounds like the installer stopped before the TIZOGGBIFF.bat command which convert the TIZ to TIS and then the biffing. Areas could be trashed then.

but no .cre, so of course the character doesn't appear in Vyatri's Pub, nor can I summon using CLUAConsole. Did something go wrong with the installation?

You can put them in the override and CLUA. They will exist then but who knows if you can go to Soubar areas because the batch file runs after a successful installation. Misleading huh?

Your areas will not work at all if the tilesets are missing so the content of all those folders will have to be put in override. Areas will still be chunked if the tisunpacker didn't run from the same bat:

copy SOS\tisunpack.exe tisunpack.exe
tisunpack -s -h -o SOS-TIS1/AR4201.tis SOS\TIZ/AR4201.tiz

Edited by Hoppy, 31 March 2010 - 05:06 PM.

- King Diamond

#20 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:12 PM

I see the .cre files in SOS-CRE, so I suppose I could drag/drop them into the override, but that's not the preferred method ;)

Since SOS does biffing by .bat, your game won't be biffed and so his .cre would still probably be in SOS-CRE... which means you'll have to manually copy everything from all those "SOS-XXX" folders (except .d's, .baf's, .tiz's and .ogg's) to your override ;) (ofcourse, it's times like this when Gen_biff comes in handy. Now your override's gonna get really cluttered :devil:)

PS: The same thing should've happened with TDD :unsure: It creates folders and biffs through a .bat, how did you get that to work??

Well, hey, my override folder has over 10,000 files in it already, and the game still works (despite the occasional CTDs that we Mac users must live with), so I'm OK with throwing yet more stuff in there :)

With TDD, I manually edited or replaced every file according to what is in the BiG World Fixpack and Smoothpack for that mod. I can't tell if it does everything it's supposed to, but I do see evidence in the game that it has added stuff.

My understanding is that, in order to use a .bat file, I must convert the code as needed, then save it as a .sh file, and run the .sh file from the UNIX command line (someone please check me on this). That's a great deal of time-consuming work, and I prefer to avoid it if there's another way to go.

As for biffing, I prefer to remain deathly afraid of doing any such thing ;) There will likely come a point at which I'll want to try Gen Biffing, though. In the mean time, I do what I can the hard way, because it works. Mostly.

So, a-dragging and a-dropping I will go!

Thanks,
Eric