How to start SOS?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#21 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:15 PM

Looks to me like I've got some manual file placing to do. That doesn't bother me; I just want the mod to work properly. Again, Mac OS X does NOT do .bat files.

Then your areas may definitely be trashed in regards to my reply above with the code box. The .bat file doesn't just bif it decompresses the tilesets for the areas. That is exactly what happened in regards to those left over files and no biffing.

I know nothing about Mac or other operating systems but if you know of or find alternative file formats to use for these installations with Mac, we could make a Mac friendly package. Same goes with the other mods of this caliber and installation type like RoT and TDD or whatever. :)
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#22 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:16 PM

it's times like this when Gen_biff comes in handy. Now your override's gonna get really cluttered :devil:)

Or any biffing period. It sounds like the installer stopped before the TIZOGGBIFF.bat command which convert the TIZ to TIS and then the biffing. Areas could be trashed then.

but no .cre, so of course the character doesn't appear in Vyatri's Pub, nor can I summon using CLUAConsole. Did something go wrong with the installation?

You can put them in the override and CLUA. They will exist then but who knows if you can go to Soubar areas because the batch file runs after a successful installation. Misleading huh?

Your areas will not work at all if the tilesets are missing so the content of all those folders will have to be put in override. Areas will still be chunked if the tisunpacker didn't run from the same bat:

copy SOS\tisunpack.exe tisunpack.exe
tisunpack -s -h -o SOS-TIS1/AR4201.tis SOS\TIZ/AR4201.tiz

Maybe I could run tisunpack on the relevant file(s) in the UNIX command line. tisunpack came with WeiDU, so I have it, but have never used it. Yea/nay?

Thanks,
Eric

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#23 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

it's times like this when Gen_biff comes in handy. Now your override's gonna get really cluttered :devil:)

Or any biffing period. It sounds like the installer stopped before the TIZOGGBIFF.bat command which convert the TIZ to TIS and then the biffing. Areas could be trashed then.

but no .cre, so of course the character doesn't appear in Vyatri's Pub, nor can I summon using CLUAConsole. Did something go wrong with the installation?

You can put them in the override and CLUA. They will exist then but who knows if you can go to Soubar areas because the batch file runs after a successful installation. Misleading huh?

Your areas will not work at all if the tilesets are missing so the content of all those folders will have to be put in override. Areas will still be chunked if the tisunpacker didn't run from the same bat:

copy SOS\tisunpack.exe tisunpack.exe
tisunpack -s -h -o SOS-TIS1/AR4201.tis SOS\TIZ/AR4201.tiz

Maybe I could run tisunpack on the relevant file(s) in the UNIX command line. tisunpack came with WeiDU, so I have it, but have never used it. Yea/nay?

Thanks,
Eric

It is worth a try as you know more about your OS than I do. ;)
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#24 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:47 PM

OK, of the SoS folders I listed, these are empty: SOS-ARE, SOS-BCS, SOS-DLG, SOS-MOS, SOS-MVE, SOS-RULE, SOS-TIS1 & 2, and SOS-WAV1 & 2. I copied all the files in the other SOS folders into the override EXCEPT for the folder SOSDLG, which contains many .d files. I then loaded my saved test game, where the party is in Vyatri's Pub in Trademeet. This pub is AR2010. I CLUAed "CBISSON1" and he appeared, then cast Mirror Image on himself. I talked to him, and he gave his exposition. At the end, I said I would seek the men immediately. Then, there was a cutscene with some archers and some soldiers in a wilderness area. This was very nice, btw :) The archers said there were too many soldiers, and fled back to Soubar. The cutscene faded back to the pub, and as Ceeb suggested seeking out those who deal in information (which I translate to mean the Shadow Thieves), I took the party to Waukeen's Promenade in Athkatla (couldn't decide between that area and the Slums), saved the game with a new name, and quit.

I noticed that, when I wanted to save the game in the pub, "You cannot save at this time" appeared. This happened also when I exited the pub, then again when I reached the edge of the Trademeet area map, so I went ahead and traveled into Athkatla (I wanted to save just because I feared getting a CTD, as this happens most frequently when moving from one area map to another).

Now, I could take the party to speak with Gaelan Bayle, but I hesitate to do so, because the party has a large amount of gold (in excess of 50k), and Gaelan is waiting for the party to bring him 15k.

So, how should I proceed with this test, and what things should I look for as signs of whether or not the mod functions as it should? I feel encouraged by making this much progress!

Thanks,
Eric

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#25 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:52 PM

OK, of the SoS folders I listed, these are empty: SOS-ARE, SOS-BCS, SOS-DLG, SOS-MOS, SOS-MVE, SOS-RULE, SOS-TIS1 & 2, and SOS-WAV1 & 2. I copied all the files in the other SOS folders into the override EXCEPT for the folder SOSDLG, which contains many .d files. I then loaded my saved test game, where the party is in Vyatri's Pub in Trademeet. This pub is AR2010. I CLUAed "CBISSON1" and he appeared, then cast Mirror Image on himself. I talked to him, and he gave his exposition. At the end, I said I would seek the men immediately. Then, there was a cutscene with some archers and some soldiers in a wilderness area. This was very nice, btw :) The archers said there were too many soldiers, and fled back to Soubar. The cutscene faded back to the pub, and as Ceeb suggested seeking out those who deal in information (which I translate to mean the Shadow Thieves), I took the party to Waukeen's Promenade in Athkatla (couldn't decide between that area and the Slums), saved the game with a new name, and quit.

I noticed that, when I wanted to save the game in the pub, "You cannot save at this time" appeared. This happened also when I exited the pub, then again when I reached the edge of the Trademeet area map, so I went ahead and traveled into Athkatla (I wanted to save just because I feared getting a CTD, as this happens most frequently when moving from one area map to another).

Now, I could take the party to speak with Gaelan Bayle, but I hesitate to do so, because the party has a large amount of gold (in excess of 50k), and Gaelan is waiting for the party to bring him 15k.

So, how should I proceed with this test, and what things should I look for as signs of whether or not the mod functions as it should? I feel encouraged by making this much progress!

Thanks,
Eric

Save your money and talk to Selence in Waukeen's Promenade. Soubar's quests won't kick off until after Spellhold and there is a walkthrough in the SOS pinned topics that is worth having just for a point of reference. It keeps the thread spoilers down a bit too. ;)

- King Diamond

#26 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:39 AM

Party is scouring the Promenade searching for this Selence person, but so far no joy. If she doesn't turn up anywhere, can I CLUA her in to talk to her?

Thanks,
Eric

#27 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:46 AM

Shadows Over Soubar's normal TP2 runs a BIFF routine batch file called SOS-TISOGGBIFF to take those folders you mentioned and biff the files. These are added to the DATA folder under SOS-BAM.BIF, etc. If that didn't happen then your chitin.key may not have been updated and you will have game errors. Try uninstalling SOS first and then run the installer again to install it. It is imperative that that batch file runs.

Are you planning on running the Generalized Biffing routine or something else as with the BWP? If so, then I can't help you there at this point in time.

Sorry, I should have checked this earlier: there is no file in my Data folder with SOS in the filename. That confirms that files didn't get handled as they should during installation, but we know that how, don't we? ;)

Thanks,
Eric

#28 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:06 AM

Well, I've searched all of Waukeen's Promenade, and there's no sign of Selence. I CLUAed SELENC17, she appeared and we talked to her. She gave us a mission, so now we have to find Sir William's home in the Gov't District. Since it's not marked on the area map, we'll have to enter homes till we find the right one, I suppose...

Thanks,
Eric

Edited by Eric P., 01 April 2010 - 10:33 AM.

#29 -Hop-

-Hop-

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:12 PM

Sounds like some scripts didn't get compiled. She is at the South West part of the map just before the main exit at the south of WP and spawns at the beginning of the game when leaving the dungeon.

#30 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:26 PM

Sounds like some scripts didn't get compiled. She is at the South West part of the map just before the main exit at the south of WP and spawns at the beginning of the game when leaving the dungeon.

Same area where the woman who creates potions in the Herbs and Potions mod appears, right? Near the fountain? Well, nothing but the usual city guards were in that portion of the map.

So, since the point of this exercise is to test SoS under OS X, and as part of a massive multi-mod installation, what I need to know is how everything is supposed to function, and then find a way to make it work on my platform. My work will be to perform some "meatball surgery" on files, and to manually move things where they're supposed to be inside the game folder and subfolders, but ultimately I'll need to know how to get the .tp2 fixed up so it will do things "the Mac way." The only person I know of who's familiar with BGII on a Mac, though, is a modder known as DevSin. I'm hoping there are more people out there who are willing and able to assist, because I don't want to bug the same person for everything ;)

All the information I can get will help here. I really want to arrive at a workable solution, and I know this will help others as well!

Thanks,
Eric

#31 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

Selence would be before you would leave the walls, so by the platforms. Her spawn script is appended to the area script AR0700 which tons of mods do. Here are the x,y coordinates

With cheats enabled, pressing X on the keyboard will give you the position that your cursor is currently in. Also, open AR0700.BCS and see if her script blocks to create her are present. Should be 4 total. Then we will know whether things have been appended correctly.

- King Diamond

#32 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:13 PM

My test game is at another standstill. Party found Sir William's house, spoke to his butler, then searched the house. We found this odd-looking "door" in the corner of a room:

Posted Image

I'm sure it's supposed to look like something, but it appears on my screen as an empty, squarish space, and gets filled with successive segments of whatever is on the screen near it as I pan the view in any direction.

When my T/M tried picking the lock, a message said that only a specific key would unlock the door. I don't know where to find such a key, so I'd appreciate a hint, please :)

Took the party and exited the estate, then saved the game. That's where things stand now.

Thanks,
Eric

#33 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

Spoiler

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#34 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

Selence would be before you would leave the walls, so by the platforms. Her spawn script is appended to the area script AR0700 which tons of mods do. Here are the x,y coordinates

With cheats enabled, pressing X on the keyboard will give you the position that your cursor is currently in. Also, open AR0700.BCS and see if her script blocks to create her are present. Should be 4 total. Then we will know whether things have been appended correctly.

Yes, I do see the four scripts to create Selence in the .bcs file.

- E

#35 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:42 PM

- E

OK good to know. You may just have missed her when you looked. Is she there at least so we know something isn't going wrong on SOS side? Even if you CLUAed her there would be another one at the position I marked.

The walkthrough I pointed you to has all of your questions answered and it is quite detailed as well as amusing at times.

RE: the screenshot.

The strange animation in that container is not your install. It looks like I have to do an area edit for the next release :crying:

Edited by Hoppy, 01 April 2010 - 08:47 PM.

- King Diamond

#36 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:03 PM

- E

OK good to know. You may just have missed her when you looked. Is she there at least so we know something isn't going wrong on SOS side? Even if you CLUAed her there would be another one at the position I marked.

The walkthrough I pointed you to has all of your questions answered and it is quite detailed as well as amusing at times.

RE: the screenshot.

The strange animation in that container is not your install. It looks like I have to do an area edit for the next release :crying:

No one is at the coordinates you listed. The nearest NPC is Murtlen, who stands on the wooden platform.

I'll check the walkthrough. I thought it was for the vanilla game, so I skipped it earlier (d'oh!).

Onward and upward!
Eric

#37 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:08 PM

Spoiler

Nuts, I don't have a convenient way of getting to that location at this stage of the game.

- E

#38 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:18 PM

Spoiler

Nuts, I don't have a convenient way of getting to that location at this stage of the game.

- E

And if you try going there late in the game he might not be there. :new_bottom:

Just another reason for another playthough.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#39 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:03 AM

Spoiler

- E

And if you try going there late in the game he might not be there. :new_bottom:

Just another reason for another playthough.

Oh, well, it's still early in the game yet for me, but I don't even recall how to get to that pirate island, unless that's why I'm supposed to pay Gaelan Bayle.

- E

#40 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:12 AM

So, it appears that the only way to get to Brynnlaw is to visit Gaelan, just like in the vanilla game, and pay him the 15k gold he asked for, so he can then send the party to Aran Linvale (sp?), and go on from there. If this is not correct, please let me know, otherwise that's what I'll do, and continue to explore this mod.

Thanks,
Eric