Photo

Random problem in the Bonehill install process

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:05 PM

I recently installed the new BWP version 8, and after several install attempts to fix some issues I found in time that I reported in this thread, the final one was a random error in the Bonehill install.

This is the error: ERROR: BIFF [d:\games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD3\/DATA/AREA130B.BIF]: unable to extract-copy file 6
[AM1304N.WAV] --biff-get error: Failure("read 0 of 8 bytes from [d:\\games\\Black Isle\\BGII - SoA\\CD3\\/DATA/AREA130B.BIF]")

This is an issue that apeared in the install of several people as you can see in the main BWP thread. I am curious, is this problem big? Should I expect game breaking bugs in Bonehill, or is it safe to ignore and play it without worries?

I uploaded the big world debug to see the whole install process. Thank you.

Attached Files

#2 danemanuelk

danemanuelk
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:35 AM

I have exactly the same problem :crying: :unsure: maybe erebusnt will be nice and find an answer for us "sinners" of BWP :devil:

#3 neutrowave

neutrowave

Hast'fyr

• 103 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:33 AM

Same happened to me with a tactic bwp 8 install

#4 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:50 AM

Is area130b.bif even in that folder? The fact it can't read 0 of 8 bytes seems to suggest either it isn't or it's messed up.

Try re-copying it from the CD and/or decompress it with DLTCEP as described under the 2nd subheading here.

If that's the only error you get, I doubt you'll notice anything. It seems to be just trying to copy an ambient sound.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#5 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:17 AM

Hmmm ... that's really strange, in your (dreamer2007's) last install:

[d:\games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD3\/DATA/AREA130B.BIF] 22726164 bytes (compressed), 7 files, 1 tilesets
[BH-REST/AM1304N.WAV] created from [./DATA/AREA130B.BIF]
[BH-REST/AM1304.WAV] created from [./DATA/AREA130B.BIF]

and now:

[d:\games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD3\/DATA/AREA130B.BIF] 22726164 bytes (compressed), 7 files, 1 tilesets
ERROR: BIFF [d:\games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD3\/DATA/AREA130B.BIF]: unable to extract-copy file 6
[AM1304N.WAV] --biff-get error: Failure("read 0 of 8 bytes from [d:\\Black Isle\\BGII - SoA\\CD3\\/DATA/AREA130B.BIF]")

[BH-REST/AM1304.WAV] created from [./DATA/AREA130B.BIF]

Very strange :wacko:

Looking at that, I'd say it installs fine sometimes but seems to just disappear another time :o

I'm wondering what the double \\'s are for?? Are they the problem? The line just above them has only single \'s :mellow:

Cheers,
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#6 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:59 AM

Is area130b.bif even in that folder? The fact it can't read 0 of 8 bytes seems to suggest either it isn't or it's messed up.

Try re-copying it from the CD and/or decompress it with DLTCEP as described under the 2nd subheading here.

If that's the only error you get, I doubt you'll notice anything. It seems to be just trying to copy an ambient sound.

Thank you for the good news that it shouldn't affect anything :D . I guess I'll just ignore this error then, but it's strange that it's so random, in the previous BWP install attempts the copying proceeding normally. Oh well, no matter...

Edited by dreamer2007, 08 September 2009 - 09:59 AM.

#7 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:41 AM

Looking at that, I'd say it installs fine sometimes but seems to just disappear another time :o

I'd say that biff is corrupt on his install, since it's able to extract one ambient .wav but not the other.

I'm wondering what the double \\'s are for?? Are they the problem? The line just above them has only single \'s

That's just how it represents slashes for some reason - some are forward and some are backward too, for that matter.

Thank you for the good news that it shouldn't affect anything

Well, I said you probably won't notice anything. But if that biff is corrupt, as it appears, you might notice other things that have nothing to do with Bonehill. So I would still try recopying and decompressing that biff, as described in the link.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#8 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:03 PM

I'd say that biff is corrupt on his install, since it's able to extract one ambient .wav but not the other.

What's strange is that the example that Lollorian gave was my install in both cases, having installed BWP a few times to solve some problems, and it was the same biff, but one time it worked without a problem and the next time I got this error.

Well, I said you probably won't notice anything. But if that biff is corrupt, as it appears, you might notice other things that have nothing to do with Bonehill. So I would still try recopying and decompressing that biff, as described in the link.

Okay I did what you said. True, it's better to be safe than sorry :P . Thank you :)

#9 Aramyr

Aramyr
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:22 AM

I started a new istallation and some error came up at the end of Sob 240 installation:fatal error unix...
Idon1t remember what it was exactly.(sorry)then tried to add the 245 patch and it said stopped because error
Sob core missing(??), but my weidu log show there is the SoB. I don't get it what maybe the problem.I still haven't finished the installation need some mods to add.

Attached Files

#10 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:38 PM

I started a new istallation and some error came up at the end of Sob 240 installation:fatal error unix...
Idon1t remember what it was exactly.(sorry)then tried to add the 245 patch and it said stopped because error
Sob core missing(??), but my weidu log show there is the SoB. I don't get it what maybe the problem.I still haven't finished the installation need some mods to add.

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'

Resource [BH0200.ARE] not found in KEY file:

[./chitin.key]

Stopping installation because of error.

Somehow you woofed your chitin.key file or you are missing BH0200.are that your chitin.key file is looking for. Please verify you have a BGII-SOA/data/BH-REST.bif file

It takes a village...