Photo

What event causes the global variable to change to 2?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jewels

Jewels
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:56 PM

I've just finished ToB with both endings, and Nathaniel was missing from the mortal ending. Looking back through my list of saves, the variable was never 2. During chapter 6 I managed to get the extra options when choosing to talk to him, and I had the meeting with Avery in Trademeet, but he was never kidnapped by Bodhi upon entering the Graveyard.

#2 Nix

Nix

Oh Captain, my Captain!

• 319 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

Off the top of my head, I reckon it's after the talk where the PC first gets the option to sleep with him that the variable flips from 1 to 2. Most certainly after the arrival of Latimer. From what you've said, it doesn't sound like the elusive Latimer made an appearance in your game.

#3 Jewels

Jewels
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:51 AM

Would that be during Chapter 6 before visiting the graveyard, or can you visit the graveyard first?

#4 Nix

Nix

Oh Captain, my Captain!

• 319 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:38 AM

In order to play out the romance in its entirety, the global should be at 2 before the Chapter 6 fight with Bodhi (so that she'll abduct him and the story can proceed.) Everything before that point (dialogues, Latimer, etc.) can happen anywhere in Amn, though not in Spellhold, Sahuagin City, or Underdark. Therefore it's best to get Nath fairly early on in the game, to make certain that the variable will be 2 by the time the Bodhi fight rolls around.

#5 Jewels

Jewels
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:47 PM

Well considering the abduction happens upon visiting the graveyard, I guess it would have to be before visiting the graveyard in Chapter 6.

It's strange because I spent a considerable amount of time in Chapters 2 and 3, completing most quests and even using Ctrl+T to advance the game time, but I never managed to advance the romance considerably. I do recall a few years ago when I didn't even complete the SoA run, where I managed to elicit an outcry from Nathaniel by sleeping with Phaere, but I think that time I also had the multiple romance cheats enabled.

Edited by Jewels, 12 September 2009 - 06:48 PM.

#6 Nix

Nix

Oh Captain, my Captain!

• 319 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

There are a couple of dialogues that take place on resting in an outdoors area. Did you get those? Which talk did you actually reach?

I may be wrong, but I think Nathaniel protests if you sleep with Phaere even if your relationship status with him is still 1.

#7 Jewels

Jewels
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:35 AM

I think it was convincing him to remove his ring.

#8 Nix

Nix

Oh Captain, my Captain!

• 319 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:31 PM

I think there is one dialogue after that that's triggered by resting in the wild. Perhaps it's where your romance hung.

#9 Jewels

Jewels
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:56 AM

I loaded a save file in Chapter 6 before entering the graveyard, with the most recent lovetalk involving Nathaniel taking off his ring. I may have encountered a bug here. I was moving from the second floor of the de'Arnise keep to the first, with my party stationed at the stairs except for my PC, so all I would have had to do was select my PC to move to the first floor without triggering the gather party message. So I click on the stairs, and my PC moves towards them, but just as I'm about to get to the auto-save screen, Nathaniel talks to me about the ring. I get him to take it off, but as soon as the talk ends the game immediately auto-saves and I end up on the first floor. I look at Nathaniel's inventory and the ring is still there, unmovable. I reloaded the auto-save to end up back on the second floor, and the unmovable ring is still present. Obviously just to ensure I was doing things correctly I reloaded an earlier save to re-trigger the talk.

I've managed to get the romance working now, with a bit of help from AdvanceRealTime. I think the variable changes to 2 when he wakes from the nightmare and kisses you. I did accidentally enter the graveyard with Edwin in my party though, so his yapping about the Nether Scroll caused the game to freeze when the abduction was supposed to occur.

Edited by Jewels, 14 September 2009 - 08:29 AM.