Photo

Dark Horizons and the Stone of Askavar

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 SirLancelot

SirLancelot
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:50 AM

Heya, i'm planning a BWP run and i want to know your opinion about how well DH and TSoA fit into the megamod installation. Do they not ruin the balance? Do they have overpowered items or/and the like?

Edited by SirLancelot, 15 September 2009 - 08:46 AM.

Where men gather, a bustle of chaos ensues. I would save them all, if I could.

#2 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:22 AM

Well, I may not be the best to answer things like this (cause I haven't even started with my BWP install :P) but I plan to include both (and a truckload of mods with them ... expert install ftw!!! :D)

But a megamod install's bound to get unbalancing if you don't do your research on what mods you're gonna use. My philosophy is always, play them the first time to understand what the modder created (the story, the characters and the items), then worry about the balance when ya play again in the second run :cheers:

Almost every mega-quest mod (like DH, SoA ... not Shadows of Amn :P, DSotSC and the big BGII mods) always contain an extra powerful-godly-game-unbalancing item/ability that makes life a loooot easier through the game, but hey, the quests themselves are hard, so ya gots to have some way of rewarding ya for going through the trouble ;)

Hope ya have a bug-free install, cheers, :cheers:
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#3 SirLancelot

SirLancelot
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:34 AM

Well, I may not be the best to answer things like this (cause I haven't even started with my BWP install :P) but I plan to include both (and a truckload of mods with them ... expert install ftw!!! :D)

But a megamod install's bound to get unbalancing if you don't do your research on what mods you're gonna use. My philosophy is always, play them the first time to understand what the modder created (the story, the characters and the items), then worry about the balance when ya play again in the second run :cheers:

Almost every mega-quest mod (like DH, SoA ... not Shadows of Amn :P, DSotSC and the big BGII mods) always contain an extra powerful-godly-game-unbalancing item/ability that makes life a loooot easier through the game, but hey, the quests themselves are hard, so ya gots to have some way of rewarding ya for going through the trouble ;)

Hope ya have a bug-free install, cheers, :cheers:
Lol

The fact is that the question i'm doing is part of the research process you mention ;)

DSotSC and NToSC are handled, in balance terms, by the BWP BPbalancer addition, so i don't worry about them.

Thanks, anyway. :)

Edited by SirLancelot, 15 September 2009 - 06:37 AM.

#4 OneEyedPhoenix

OneEyedPhoenix
  • 308 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:07 AM

DSotSC and NToSC are handled, in balance terms, by the BWP BPbalancer addition, so i don't worry about them.

Not quite true. There has been some oversights. I would recommend you put the included files in your override directory (before or after running generalized_biffing).

Attached Files

#5 SirLancelot

SirLancelot
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:41 AM

Not quite true. There has been some oversights. I would recommend you put the included files in your override directory (before or after running generalized_biffing).

Thank you, Phoenix :rolleyes: , and good luck with your current installation and your in-game on the fly modifications i see you are working on ;) :cheers:

#6 OneEyedPhoenix

OneEyedPhoenix
  • 308 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

Thank you, Phoenix :rolleyes: , and good luck with your current installation and your in-game on the fly modifications i see you are working on ;) :cheers:

Beyond these files my biggest griefs with these two mods so far have been a certain bard, called Keiria Silverstring (Nashkel carnival), with godlike stats (16.33 average) and a lot of cheesed bard items strewn about the coastline.

Edited by OneEyedPhoenix, 15 September 2009 - 10:25 AM.

#7 SirLancelot

SirLancelot
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:52 AM

Beyond these files my biggest griefs with these two mods so far have been a certain bard, called Keiria Silverstring (Nashkel carnival), with godlike stats (16.33 average) and a lot of cheesed bard items strewn about the coastline.

xD Thanks again, i will avoid them.

Any clue about DH and TSoA?

#8 OneEyedPhoenix

OneEyedPhoenix
  • 308 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:25 AM

No idea as of yet. Maybe somebody else on this forum knows...

Edit: You should also replace these attached files from ntotsc. They had unbalanced treasure and were assigned a non-existing script, so they didn't fight.

Attached Files

Edited by OneEyedPhoenix, 15 September 2009 - 11:51 AM.

#9 SirLancelot

SirLancelot
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:21 PM

No idea as of yet. Maybe somebody else on this forum knows...

Edit: You should also replace these attached files from ntotsc. They had unbalanced treasure and were assigned a non-existing script, so they didn't fight.

Ouch! This is not the first time that the dammed ladies refuse to fight or remain neutral (blue circle under her feet), i fear... i hope it's not the same old bug again. If i remember correctly, it was an SCS bug. :S ... But in this case the problem with the scripts sounds like somewhat of an oversight.

Edited by SirLancelot, 15 September 2009 - 12:26 PM.

#10 OneEyedPhoenix

OneEyedPhoenix
  • 308 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:13 PM

Ouch! This is not the first time that the dammed ladies refuse to fight or remain neutral (blue circle under her feet), i fear... i hope it's not the same old bug again. If i remember correctly, it was an SCS bug. :S ... But in this case the problem with the scripts sounds like somewhat of an oversight.

The SCS bug appears to be that they spawn alone. The reason they didn't fight was that they were assigned a non-existing class script. I have fixed their scripts and unbalanced items, but if you install SCS they will spawn alone. (I'm currently looking into that one)

#11 SirLancelot

SirLancelot
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:26 PM

The SCS bug appears to be that they spawn alone. The reason they didn't fight was that they were assigned a non-existing class script. I have fixed their scripts and unbalanced items, but if you install SCS they will spawn alone. (I'm currently looking into that one)

I think i will discard the SCS problematic component this time, anyway. However, the unbalanced items are bad news, as these probably come from DSotSC. I will check them after complete the instalation.

Thank you for your reports.

#12 Darpaek

Darpaek
  • 363 posts

Donator

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:06 PM

I played thru an 8.01 install. There's nothing in particular that shot out at me as particularly imbalanced (I didn't notice the bard because I didn't include her in my party).

Edited by Darpaek, 16 September 2009 - 01:06 PM.

#13 OneEyedPhoenix

OneEyedPhoenix
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:25 PM

I think i will discard the SCS problematic component this time, anyway. However, the unbalanced items are bad news, as these probably come from DSotSC. I will check them after complete the instalation.

Just to clarify... These two are Ntotsc all the way. And if you replace them with my versions, and don't install the ScS component, you should have no troubles with them.

Edited by OneEyedPhoenix, 16 September 2009 - 01:26 PM.

#14 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:56 AM

Might want to post issues with Keiria (and perhaps recommended stats) in the DSotSC forum if you haven't, either here or on chosenofmystra.net (which is also where the two mods in your title are maintained). Otherwise, I'm pretty sure it'll get forgotten in this thread.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#15 DrakeEB

DrakeEB
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:43 AM

Dark Horizons seems a bit unbalanced to me. I just finished the Naskel mines and killed the duerguer assasins and they had +3 and +4 items.....I mean my party is level 3-4ish range....

#16 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:05 AM

Dark Horizons seems a bit unbalanced to me. I just finished the Naskel mines and killed the duerguer assasins and they had +3 and +4 items.....I mean my party is level 3-4ish range....

Hi,

If I remember well, you forgot to mention 3 magical plate armor and 1 magical leather one... magical bolt... You almost have enough tools to equip everyone with magical stuff (weapon & armor)...

#17 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:14 AM

If I remember well, you forgot to mention 3 magical plate armor and 1 magical leather one... magical bolt... You almost have enough tools to equip everyone with magical stuff (weapon & armor)...

My kinda mod :coolthumb: :devil:

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#18 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:33 AM

My kinda mod :coolthumb: :devil:

I also like this mod :Bow:, because I like the idea of bounty hunter everywhere after my PC :hug:. Never mind this kind of stuff, we can leave it on the ground :cheers: !

#19 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

There should a mod component that just makes all all loot that comes from a mod disappear (not just items, added spells and enemy drops too - quest items can stay, but nerfed prob).

BP-Balancer did never do all of that, and is not maintained anyway.
Witness:
"deceiver's blade"
1D8+1
THAC0 +5
Dex +2
AC +3
1 extra attack per round

North of candlekeep, in the shipwreck.

As things are now using things like spell revisions or item revisions with DSotSC is futile.

I want the extra quests and difficult fights, not the game breaking loot and "uber" merchants.

Edited by i30817, 01 November 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#20 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:33 PM

Dark Horizons and other power gaming mods FTW. If people don't like it, don't download it. I won't lose any sleep over it. If I wanted to make it a so called balanced mod I would have done so.

Big thanks to the fans who play it and enjoy it.

Edited by Solaufein, 01 November 2011 - 11:42 PM.

Her lips were red, her looks were free
Her locks were as yellow as gold
Her skin was white as leprosy.
The Nightmare Life-in-Death was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

http://teambg.net
The Undying