Photo

Proficiency bonuses

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OneEyedPhoenix

OneEyedPhoenix
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:27 AM

I'm trying to learn a bit about the game engine and I guess this might be the best place to ask.
I didn't see any post guidelines, but if my thread is inappropriate in this forum any moderator is free to delete it.

My question is how the game engine handles proficiency bonuses and which file needs to be altered to change these?
I know that profs.2da handles how many points a character is given upon creation and how often they receive additional points.
Is there a table for the bonuses or is this aspect handled differently by the engine?

Edited by OneEyedPhoenix, 18 September 2009 - 12:17 PM.

#2 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:44 AM

I'm trying to learn a bit about the game engine and I guess this might be the best place to ask.
I didn't see any post guidelines, but if my thread is inappropriate in this forum any moderator is free to delete it.

My question is how the game engine handles proficiency bonuses and which file needs to be altered to change these?
I know that profs.2da handles how many points a character is given upon creation and how often they receive additional points.
Is there a table for the bonuses or is this aspect handled differently by the engine?

I know it's possible to modify which weapons are covered by which proficiencies because there have been mods that did that (lumping katana/wakizashi/ninja-to, and mace/morningstar, together in a fashion that actually has some logical relation to their design and use). The specific bonuses given by each point in each value of proficiency might be hardcoded, however. Anyone else care to weigh in?

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#3 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:50 AM

I know it's possible to modify which weapons are covered by which proficiencies because there have been mods that did that (lumping katana/wakizashi/ninja-to, and mace/morningstar, together in a fashion that actually has some logical relation to their design and use). The specific bonuses given by each point in each value of proficiency might be hardcoded, however. Anyone else care to weigh in?

WSPATCK.2DA handles the mastery attack per round bonuses, only for fighers, rangers and paladins (and multiclasses thereof). WSPECIAL.2DA handles the mastery thac0, damage and initiative bonuses (for all classes).

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#4 OneEyedPhoenix

OneEyedPhoenix
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

WSPATCK.2DA handles the mastery attack per round bonuses, only for fighers, rangers and paladins (and multiclasses thereof). WSPECIAL.2DA handles the mastery thac0, damage and initiative bonuses (for all classes).

Thanks!
Now, if I read these correctly, a fighter with a 0 from this table will attack 1 time per round (I'm guessing that there is a 1 attack base value), a fighter with a -1 1,5 times per round, a fighter with a 1 2 times per round and so on. Have I got it right?

#5 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

Yeah... just remember to take the fighter's level into count as well.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#6 OneEyedPhoenix

OneEyedPhoenix
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:40 AM

Great! This thread can be closed as far as I'm concerned.

#7 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:16 PM

This thread can be closed as far as I'm concerned.

They don't really close ordinary threads here, but you can edit your original post to put "Solved" in it or something.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle