Photo

Which origin are you going to choose first?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: Which origin is your choice? (37 member(s) have cast votes)

What will YOU choose to be?

1. Human Noble (10 votes [27.03%])

Percentage of vote: 27.03%

2. City Elf (9 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

3. Dalish Elf (3 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

4. Human/Elf Mage (11 votes [29.73%])

Percentage of vote: 29.73%

5. Dwarf Commoner (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Dwarf Noble (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

7. Undecided (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

Epic G@3M and a commoner?! :blink:

That sounds kinda incompatible.

Retired from modding.

#42 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:34 PM

I think it's there due to the lack of an ability to play a human farmer. Good games always need a "humble beginnings" act, especially when your other alternatives are the likes of Human & Dwarf Noble. Right? ;)

#43 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:43 PM

Hmmm. They did remove the human commoner option at some point, just because it somehow didn't fit with the dark epicness of the game.
Or, well, that's the way I've pieced it together. .p

So I guess there's something more epic about smaller commoners. ^^

#44 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:56 AM

Hmmm. They did remove the human commoner option at some point, just because it somehow didn't fit with the dark epicness of the game.

That, and I think that a human commoner or farmer would've been crushed instantly. :rolleyes:
Seriously, a dwarven commoner makes a bit of sense, because there's that backstory about being oppressed by a thug, and you could surmise that the character would've gotten a bit street smart, sufficiently to survive long enough before gaining more skill. The story's kinda similar with elven commoners, who are oppressed by humans, etc. Leave that poor human farmer till his fields in peace and cower in fear when the Blight descends. ;)
Just my opinion though. ^_^

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#45 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:01 AM

Yes, and I suppose they must have thought the typical fantasy farmer story - that is: 'monstars attacked and raped and killed and burninated my parents & cows! I wants revenge!' - to be a bit on the cliché side. ^^

#46 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:41 AM

Yes, and I suppose they must have thought the typical fantasy farmer story - that is: 'monstars attacked and raped and killed and burninated my parents & cows! I wants revenge!' - to be a bit on the cliché side. ^^

**chuckles** Do I hear "Conan the Human Commoner"?... ;)

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#47 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

Hmph, I don't see why you can't play a grizzled human mercenary rather than some noble's spoiled brat.

I dunno, right now, none of the options appeal to me.

#48 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:19 PM

**chuckles** Do I hear "Conan the Human Commoner"?... ;)

Conan and a ton of others, yeah. ^^
...and especially Mr. Farmer from Uwe Boll's 'In The Name of the King'... Seriously, the guy is even named Farmer... xP

@Cal
Oh, don't worry, I'm certain you're just pre-emptively de-hyped.
I mean, you've gotten through BG, and since you're here, I think I can safely assume you did it without puking. ^^

Point being that protagonist characters hardly ever get any greener than that. .p

#49 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:40 PM

There was a human barbarian origin planned at one point as well... I wonder how that would've turned out.

#50 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:07 PM

Uwe Boll

:puke:

I think this story sounds better
Almighty Uwe Boll attackes and rapes and killes our games. Only the 300lb glass-wearing hairy cyber geek may stop him from conquering the world.

Indeed. But that'd make a better sense to call Dwarf Commoner a Dwarf Thug instead.

Retired from modding.

#51 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

From the looks of things, every single origin has DA!Charname as something very different from the usual squeaky-clean young protagonist. Just look at the quotes associated with each origin:

Human Noble: "Brave of you sir, to so openly cast an envious eye towards me and mine. I suggest you look elsewhere, lest I consider removing your sight in a more permanent fashion."

City Elf: "Take another step, human, and I guarantee it shall be your last. My friends are dead and my life is in tatters because of you and your kin. I have nothing to lose, but you still possess your other eye."

Dalish Elf: "What a wonder it is to see such stalwart bravado in one such as yourself. It is heartwarming, truly, to see that there are yet humans willing to risk a slow and torturous death in pursuit of our most sacred treasures."

Mage: "Tread carefully, friend. If you intend to cross the path of one whose soul is so tightly woven into the realm of the arcane, I would not suggest you do it lightly."

Dwarf Commoner: "I suggest you reach for your purse swiftly friend. Ale may have dulled my senses enough so that I merely maim your pretty features, but should I become sober I will be in a mood to show you a new realm of pain and violence."

Dwarf Noble: "What I have seen and done to achieve my position defies belief. What I am capable of and will be party to in order to retain it would chill your soul."

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#52 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:04 PM

@Cal
Oh, don't worry, I'm certain you're just pre-emptively de-hyped.
I mean, you've gotten through BG, and since you're here, I think I can safely assume you did it without puking. ^^

Point being that protagonist characters hardly ever get any greener than that. .p

True, but BG came out at a time when the games market was dominated by FPS. I was working on PC Gaming World at the time and had been shipped out to Interplay's head office in California to preview a few games. When the BG demonstration began, I could have wept with joy. I hadn't seen a game like that since Ultima VII: Serpent Isle in 1993 and was just so frigging happy that someone was actually making an RPG I don't think I would have cared who the protagonist was (plus I was in my late 20s, so playing a 20 year old wasn't quite such a pill as it is now I'm 42).

#53 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:42 PM

Well, I'd like to keep disagreeing just to disagree, but seeing as that at best would be utterly silly and at worst somewhat rude, methinks I'll just tip my hat to ye - or lacking one, scratch my head going through the gesture - take a bow, and exit the stage through the trapdoor. ^^

#54 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:25 PM

Now we have a tie for the first place:

Human Noble [ 8 ] [27.59%]
Human/Elf Mage [ 8 ] [27.59%]

I'm kind of disappointed no one has voted for dwarf commoner yet. :lol:

#55 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:59 PM

Nah, HN is 1 vote ahead :)

Retired from modding.

#56 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:07 PM

Now it is, yes, although this poll's 30th voter had yet to vote when I posted the status update. :)

#57 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:31 AM

Wish I could change my vote! I've gone from "undecided" to a firm believer in "Elven Mage"!! :P (Well, at least for my first run!... I intend to try 'em all out... Eventually)

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#58 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:31 PM

Mage is the way to go! :cheers:

I'll probably choose Dwarf Noble on my second playthrough.

#59 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:04 PM

I always play human on my first playthrough, but compared to the other Origins, human noble looks extremely dull. So it'll probably be City Elf for me.
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#60 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:45 AM

With 8 (NA) or 11 (Europe) days to go, we have a tie for the most popular origin:

Human Noble [ 9 ] [28.12%]
Human/Elf Mage [ 9 ] [28.12%]