Topic for translator

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Armand

Armand
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:08 AM

Hello everybody,

I'm the french translator for kido mod and I have a few questions about some terms of this mod. So, let's start :

**** From MWKID.tra *******

@27 = ~I say "Nay". You're nothing but a pesky fly.~ // What is a pesky fly ? I've some difficulties to understand.

*** From MWBKID.tra

@55 = ~Oempa loempa, dample dee dee.~ // What's the meaning ?

@119 = ~Why in the Nine hells are ye coutin' that way for ?~ "Coutin'" That's the same meaning that "cout in", no ?

@126 = ~Oempa loempa dample dee da. Whith my own songs, I've killed my own ma.~ // The same problem for "oempa loempa dample dee da"

@226 = ~And why do you this, cuckoo ? ~ // Cuckoo ? What is it ?

Edited by Armand, 14 October 2009 - 06:19 AM.

#2 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:37 AM

If no one minds, I'll just step in and give my two cents, having thorough experience in both languages. ^_^

@27 = ~I say "Nay". You're nothing but a pesky fly.~ // What is a pesky fly ? I've some difficulties to understand.

A pesky fly is an *annoying* fly. i don't have the context, but I'm surmising that this line is actually in reference to a person. You might want to try "satané bougre", or even try to adapt the entire sentence, such as "Tu n'es/Vous n'êtes rien de plus qu'un bourdonnement dans mes oreilles".

@55 = ~Oempa loempa, dample dee dee.~ // What's the meaning ?

This is actually a reference to the 1971 film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It's a song the little oompa loompa's sing. Translating this one's going to be a though one. You could try a French children's song (mais j'ai pas top d'inspiration sur le moment).

@119 = ~Why in the Nine hells are ye coutin' that way for ?~ "Coutin'" That's the same meaning that "cout in", no ?

It's a colloquial form of the verb "counting", probably to convey a dwarf or a rogue or some commoner's way of speaking. Tu peux essayer "Pourquoi, par l'Neuf Enfers, compte-tu com' ça ?". J'ai pas mieux.

@126 = ~Oempa loempa dample dee da. Whith my own songs, I've killed my own ma.~ // The same problem for "oempa loempa dample dee da"

See above.

@226 = ~And why do you this, cuckoo ? ~ // Cuckoo ? What is it ?

A cuckoo is a kind of bird (un coucou), and it's usually used to imply that someone is daft, crazy, out of his/her mind. How about "Et pourquoi fais-tu cela, espèce de maboul ?" ?

Try to avoid that light teal font, I can't see it with the asylum config. :( Oh, and si t'as d'autres questions, hésite pas. ;)

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#3 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:33 PM

Line 27 is indeed in reference to Kido himself - a response a PC can give.
At to line 55 and line 126 - I have no knowledge of french child songs, however many songs are kept in the original langaue - or you can use the french version of the movie???
I am not sure about what is said here about line 119.
I need to look up the dialogue - it may be counting, or the way a certain bird makes a sound, which is called couting. If the rest of the dialogue is about birds than it is the later, it is about Kido acting weird with numbers it is the first.
It seems you have have a slight problem with the way Korgan talks and the songs of Kido ;)

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#4 Armand

Armand
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:05 AM

Ok, ok. I think about these terms a lot and finally I've make a decision :

First (for eleima)

A pesky fly is an *annoying* fly. i don't have the context, but I'm surmising that this line is actually in reference to a person. You might want to try "satané bougre", or even try to adapt the entire sentence, such as "Tu n'es/Vous n'êtes rien de plus qu'un bourdonnement dans mes oreilles".

Yes, that's for a person however with the context I would see an expression more abrupt. In any case, thanks for suggestion it's very helpful.

This is actually a reference to the 1971 film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It's a song the little oompa loompa's sing. Translating this one's going to be a though one. You could try a French children's song (mais j'ai pas top d'inspiration sur le moment).

As Deathsangel said, better will be to use the french version of the movie but I haven't succed to find the original's movie. Therefore, for the moment I think that I will keep the sentence in the original language.

It's a colloquial form of the verb "counting", probably to convey a dwarf or a rogue or some commoner's way of speaking. Tu peux essayer "Pourquoi, par l'Neuf Enfers, compte-tu com' ça ?". J'ai pas mieux.

Now, that's more précise im my mind. I'm not comfortable with colloquial expressions (in english at least). :P

A cuckoo is a kind of bird (un coucou), and it's usually used to imply that someone is daft, crazy, out of his/her mind. How about "Et pourquoi fais-tu cela, espèce de maboul ?" ?

Ouais j'aprécis la traduction je pense faire quelque chose comme ça... Great job ! :lol:

Try to avoid that light teal font, I can't see it with the asylum config. sad.gif Oh, and si t'as d'autres questions, hésite pas. wink.gif

Ok thank you very much. But fais attention à toi je risque de le prendre au pied de la lettre ! 8)

Now (death angel)

I am not sure about what is said here about line 119.

Oh year. That's a korgan's sentence (Korgan was surprised by the very strange way Kido is counting. :blink:)

It seems you have have a slight problem with the way Korgan talks and the songs of Kido

Yes, as I said, I'm not comfortable with colloquial expressions but I've an excellent proofreader who is also very performant for check poetries. So I don't worry. ^_^

Edited by Armand, 09 November 2009 - 06:10 AM.

#5 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:24 AM

Well, I am personally wonder if there is an equivalent for 'Dwarven' English -> as in 'Dwarven French'

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~