ME2: Release Date Announced

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:19 AM

BioWare announced today that Mass Effect 2 will be released on January 26th in North America and on January 29th in Europe.

IMark your calendar and lock in your copy of Mass Effect 2 now! Leading video game developer BioWare, a division of EA today announced that the epic Shooter/RPG Mass Effect 2 will be on store shelves in North America on January 26, and on January 29 in Europe. With its larger-than-life hero Commander Shepard, intense shooter action, nuanced characters and a rich storyline, the much-anticipated sequel to the original award-winning opus is one of the most anticipated titles of 2010. In support of the launch, BioWare is releasing unique Mass Effect 2 pre-order incentives* at key retailers in North America and across Europe. Codes for downloading these items will be provided to players who have pre-ordered, usable when the game is released. Read more...

Edit: Title

Edited by Archmage Silver, 13 December 2009 - 08:55 AM.

#2 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:31 PM

:woot:

Jan 29 (which I assume is what the release date will be here in Australia as well) isn't bad at all. Very much looking forward to it!

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#3 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:35 PM

I'm looking forward to it as well now that the PC & 360 versions are being released simultaneously - I would have hated to wait for it. I've got my save games from ME1 ready for importing. :)

And yes, Australia gets the game at the same time as UK.

#4 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:00 AM

I'm still waiting for my copy of ME1 to arrive (I just got around to ordering it), but if Mass Effect is as good as I've been led to believe, I think I'll let myself be tempted by ME2. Only a couple of months to wait, and a lot to keep me busy 'til then anyways. ^_^ So, yeah, I guess I *am* looking forward to it, as well. :P

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#5 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:15 AM

Looking forward to it :D

#6 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

Awesome. Guess I know what I'll be doing all February.

#7 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:58 AM

Here is an interesting interview on ME2 with Dr. Greg Zeschuk.

#8 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:46 AM

As one of the peeps who commented on the video already said, he doesn't exactly say anything new, that we haven't read/seen/heard before. I think they're just trying to keep the hype alive. And it's working! ^_^ I can't wait 'til it comes out, and I'm keeping my saved games safe until then! :P

It'll be interesting to see how the saves have an impact on the second installment. (Caution, here be spoilers for ME1)
Spoiler

Edit: Quick question, since it pertains to ME2, I didn't think it warranted a different topic: does anyone know if the DRM system will be used for ME2?

Edited by Eleima, 28 October 2009 - 11:10 AM.

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#9 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:48 PM

I'm not sure whether I'll import a saved game or not based on some of the things about ME2.

There's going to be a function where you pick what happened in the last game moreorless, I think, and the talents system is being totally rejigged (everyone starts at level 1 again and some talents are gone, new ones are added, etc).

#10 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:17 PM

I guess that'll be like the scene in KotOR 2 where you speak to Atton about Revan. Unless you choose it when creating the character - that would work too, obviously.
I'm glad you'll start at level 1 again - level 60 would be silly. :)

#11 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

I'm glad you'll start at level 1 again - level 60 would be silly.

Mass Effect 2: Blow up entire planets with your finger!
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#12 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:56 PM

I guess that'll be like the scene in KotOR 2 where you speak to Atton about Revan. Unless you choose it when creating the character - that would work too, obviously.
I'm glad you'll start at level 1 again - level 60 would be silly. :)

I can imagine them replacing the "psychological profile" with things like "does Shepard make a habit of threatening fans and anyone who asks for help?" :D

As for going back to level one, yeah, that's fair. KotOR2 had that too.

#13 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:01 AM

As one of the peeps who commented on the video already said, he doesn't exactly say anything new, that we haven't read/seen/heard before. I think they're just trying to keep the hype alive. And it's working! ^_^ I can't wait 'til it comes out, and I'm keeping my saved games safe until then! :P

Well, it was new stuff for me, I've been too busy getting the hype on for DA. ;)

Edit: Quick question, since it pertains to ME2, I didn't think it warranted a different topic: does anyone know if the DRM system will be used for ME2?

I haven't seen any articles regarding this myself, but my guess would be that the DRM will largely depend on how DA's system handles it in practice.

#14 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:43 AM

There are two new trailers up for ME2, here's the newsbit from RPGWatch:

There are two new videos up at the Mass Effect 2 Homepage. The first is called Omega. The Omega trailer gives a brief look at the Krogan recuitable character and the mercenary controlled planet Omega.

The second trailer is called Subject Zero. Subject Zero is the name of another recruitable character. She isn't the innocent alien like Liara was. Just watch the video and you will see what I mean.

Edit: Link

Edit II: If you watch the Subject Zero trailer, prepare to be annoyed by clichés. I hope there's an option to just shoot her in the game. And BioWare really shouldn't go this way in marketing, this is too much like that Marilyn Manson trailer for DA. Way too much.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 14 November 2009 - 08:02 AM.

#15 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:24 AM

Edit II: If you watch the Subject Zero trailer, prepare to be annoyed by clichés. I hope there's an option to just shoot her in the game.

I really hope I can shoot her naked skinny butt into oblivion. Is that evil of me? ^_^

I wanted to pre-order my collector's edition, but they only ship those to the US and PO boxes... :( So either I'm going to have to phone a friend to safe keep it for me, or I'll have to go with the standard edition.

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#16 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:48 PM

I suspect that there is a lot more to Subject Zero than appears from that trailer. The developers have assured people depth in all characters, including Grunt and SuZe, and I don't think they'll disappoint. :)

#17 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:29 AM

Aye, you're probably right on that count! I don't think they'll disappoint either, I'm just getting into roleplay mode a little early, and thinking that she better keep her hands off my PC's love interest, or we'll find out just capable a biotic she is... ^_^

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#18 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:06 AM

Here's the ME2 official box art:

masseffect2_screenshot_039_1280x720.jpg

#19 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:24 AM

BioWare has kicked up a character page for Samara, the asari NPC.

#20 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:55 AM

BioWare has kicked up a character page for Samara, the asari NPC.

And now there are more character pages for Tali, Grunt, and SuZe, along with class pages for the Engineer (which looks like my sort of character) and Adept (which doesn't). All accessible here.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.