Arkanis Gath

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Illidan

Illidan
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:56 AM

Hi,

I have a suggestion for Arkanis, he is an assassin of the Aran Linvail's guild and himself said
it is one of the best.
I thought it would be nice to give it a custom fit equipment to him (swords and armor ?).
In previous versions of RR he had two black swords but it was deleted :(
also the color of his avatar (green) has been changed, it no longer matches his portrait... (nice portrait ;))

This is a suggestion because I like the work done in the mod and for those killers who appear in the crypt of Bodhi.

Could perhaps do the same thing with Kachiko, Gofus and Yeanasha ? :D

So there is not only Drizzt makes the job.. :whistling:

#2 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:01 AM

I have a suggestion for Arkanis, he is an assassin of the Aran Linvail's guild and himself said
it is one of the best. I thought it would be nice to give it a custom fit equipment to him (swords and armor ?).

Conceptually, it would probably make sense for Arkanis to have some custom equipment. However, I don't think it would be appropriate gameplay wise, as it would simply give the player an incentive to kill him for his gear. ;) He and the other Shadow Thief allies should already do reasonably well against the vampires thanks to the potions and scrolls that they use. They're not quite on pair with Drizzt and his gang, but that's intended behavior.

In previous versions of RR he had two black swords but it was deleted

Hmm, I don't believe I ever gave Arkanis custom swords in RR, but I think Bioware's original version wielded an undroppable Short Sword of Backstabbing. I replaced that with a generic Short Sword +3 in some past release because Aran already gives the party the Short Sword of Backstabbing when the protagonist asks the Shadow Thieves for their aid.

also the color of his avatar (green) has been changed, it no longer matches his portrait... (nice portrait )

IIRC, Arkanis' portrait was just included for completeness' sake, in case I ever wanted to give him some expanded dialogue (which didn't happen). At present, the portrait shouldn't be visible in-game at all, unless you CTRL+Q Arkanis into the party or try to pickpocket him. As for the color scheme, I think I ultimately I went with red and black because it made Arkanis stand out more prominently from the rest of his companions.

#3 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:24 PM

I don't think it would be appropriate gameplay wise, as it would simply give the player an incentive to kill him for his gear.

The "unrestricted access" concept doesn't help to improve the gameplay balance wise (I think there's no need to elaborate why or how), but it adds more RP, that's true. Now, is it RP to kill an ally for their loot?

Retired from modding.

#4 -Baal-

-Baal-

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

If you're evil, sure.