What to do?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 --Marcus--

--Marcus--

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:20 PM

Hi, trying out this romance for the first time and so far everything has been nice. But i've hit something of a snag. I got as far as maybe 2-3 Lovetalks after meeting Avery in Trademeet. After that, silence from Thaniel. I continued for a while, resting alot both indoors and outdoors. Then I figured that the next talk may be event triggered, so I went on to board the ship to Spellhold. Growing suspicious, I quicksaved right before the encounter with Bohdi where you turn into the Slayer to check whether there would be any reaction from Nathaniel. Nothing. I shrugged and continued to deal with the riddles of those spectres, and then slept afterwards. I turned into the slayer, but no dialogue with Thaniel. Is this WAD or did I miss something?

One thing to note. Before I travelled to Brynnlaw, there was an error in my dialogue. It said something a like "Nathaniel looks at you, and then you turn look back"-thing. Didn't write it down. But the notable thing was that after i clicked "next" there was a red line saying something like "No dilalogue or links found for Nathaniel". Unfortunately I didn't write this down either :(.

My question is this: What is wrong? Is it fixable by any sorts of codes? Please note that I dont know any of these types of codes by heart

I started a new game just because of this mod, and when I browse these forums I encounter a thread which goes in the style of: "Ive done this now, is it safe to go to spellhold?" If I had known that there were things I had to do before I went to spellhold, I would have sought help here alot earlier. But I saw no real reason for alarm, as I could not find any mentions or tips about it in the manual.

Waiting anxiously for a positve response. Excuse my poor English

#2 Nix

Nix

Oh Captain, my Captain!

• 319 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:04 AM

Can you remember what the last talk you had with him was about?

Also, check the NathRomanceActive variable. Here is how:

Via Shadow Keeper - Load the saved game and look under Global Variables for NathRomanceActive.

OR

Via the console - Enable debug mode by opening the file baldur.ini in your SoA folder using Notepad, and under Program Options adding in:
Debug Mode=1

Save the file, start BG2, load the saved game. Ctrl+Spacebar to open the console, then type CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("NathRomanceActive", "GLOBAL") and press Enter.

#3 --Marcus--

--Marcus--

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:06 PM

Can you remember what the last talk you had with him was about?

Also, check the NathRomanceActive variable. Here is how:

Via Shadow Keeper - Load the saved game and look under Global Variables for NathRomanceActive.

OR

Via the console - Enable debug mode by opening the file baldur.ini in your SoA folder using Notepad, and under Program Options adding in:
Debug Mode=1

Save the file, start BG2, load the saved game. Ctrl+Spacebar to open the console, then type CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("NathRomanceActive", "GLOBAL") and press Enter.

The variable is set to 1. Which is bad, I presume. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly what the last talk was about. I think it was something like "Nathaniel looks like he wants to say something, but turns away his face." This is maybe 2-3 talks after he apologizes for getting ballistic after meeting Avery.

As I said before, I'm now in the spellhold maze, with no previous saves. I *really* don't want to start an entire new game, so any solutions other than this would be great. Although it feels like I've missed ALOT of important Lovetalks. Makes me kind of sad, since I re-installed BG2 just to try this one out.

#4 Nix

Nix

Oh Captain, my Captain!

• 319 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:27 PM

1 is not necessarily bad, it just means your romance is undeveloped.

The "looks at you, then glances away" thing is probably just a flirt, and will not affect the game.

Try and remember the previous talk you had before that. Has he asked you about throwing away his ring? Has he had the first nightmare?

#5 --Marcus--

--Marcus--

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:40 PM

1 is not necessarily bad, it just means your romance is undeveloped.

The "looks at you, then glances away" thing is probably just a flirt, and will not affect the game.

Try and remember the previous talk you had before that. Has he asked you about throwing away his ring? Has he had the first nightmare?

He has said something about "letting go" of his lover, or maybe it was giving up the search. Not sure I remember anything about a ring. There was an episode where he was uncommunicative when we were resting. I would say "Nathaniel?" and he would not respond. Then I chose "move him under his blankets" and he said "thank you". When I asked him about it he didn't wanna talk about it

#6 Nix

Nix

Oh Captain, my Captain!

• 319 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:04 PM

Both of those conversations happen before meeting Avery. Are you sure you don't remember him asking you about his ring after the Avery meeting? About how his ring is the only thing he has left to remember his dead lover?

#7 --Marcus--

--Marcus--

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:13 PM

Both of those conversations happen before meeting Avery. Are you sure you don't remember him asking you about his ring after the Avery meeting? About how his ring is the only thing he has left to remember his dead lover?

I'm pretty sure he didn't. All I can remember is him apologizing for lashing out at me after meeting Avery. I said "How can I be mad, you had recieved terrible news." But I can't really see why that should matter, since I slept both indoors and outdoors, travelled around athkatla and the countryside and spent days doing basically nothing just to trigger a Lovetalk or any reaction whatsoever from him. I'm positive I didn't scare him off. I can hug him and give him foot rubs and such.

#8 Nix

Nix

Oh Captain, my Captain!

• 319 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

Yes, which is why it's important to figure out which point you're at. There are junctures in the romance that have been known to cause problems in the past. If we can pinpoint exactly where you are, it would be easier to see what's stalling the romance.

#9 --Marcus--

--Marcus--

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:37 PM

Yes, which is why it's important to figure out which point you're at. There are junctures in the romance that have been known to cause problems in the past. If we can pinpoint exactly where you are, it would be easier to see what's stalling the romance.

I see. Well, is there any way to check how far I have preogressed, by checking savegames or by using a code? I honestly cannot pinpoint what the exact dialogue was before it stalled. If not that, isn't there a code to insert the current "Lovetalk" thereby starting from that point in the romance, not having to give up completely?

#10 Nix

Nix

Oh Captain, my Captain!

• 319 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:20 PM

If you want, you can e-mail me your savegame, and I'll try and see if I can figure it out. I'll have to reinstall BG2 and Nathaniel first, so that'll have to be tonight when I have more time.

Edited by Nix, 26 June 2011 - 10:32 PM.

#11 --Marcus--

--Marcus--

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:23 PM

If you want, you can e-mail me your savegame at suen84g@yahoo.com, and I'll try and see if I can figure it out. I'll have to reinstall BG2 and Nathaniel first, so that'll have to be tonight when I have more time.

I'd hate to be that much of a bother. I think I'll start a game, then fast forward the romance to see exactly when it stops working. I'll get back to you. Thanks a million for your help so far, though! :Bow:

#12 --Marcus--

--Marcus--

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:59 AM

Okay, did a new replay and have now pinpointed where the romance stalled. It was after Nath was trying to explain that it wasn't something Avery said that made him upset. I said "So, if it wasn't something Avery said, then what was it?". Then he replied "I... I don't want to talk about it"

I also had a choice of saying "It doesn't matter, the important thing is that you're alright"

After this, nothing. I travel to to and from the countryside. Sleep outdoors and in Inns. Apart from one flirt, not a sound from on his part. I'm still able to flirt with him, though.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Getting pretty frustrated here, since it is a good mod. I wanna finish it

#13 Nix

Nix

Oh Captain, my Captain!

• 319 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:55 PM

That is an odd place for the romance to stall.

Try CLUAConsole:AdvanceRealTime(99999)