Photo

Most favorite and least Favorite Origin?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:38 PM

Well by now I figure just about everyone has most likely played every origin on this board or at least a majority of them...Regardless what is everyone's favorite and least favorite Origin? Ill rank mine from best in the middle and least favorite...here goes!

Favorite: City Elf

Middle: Human Noble

Least: Dwarf Noble

I felt the City Elf origin was by FAR the best origin though the dwarf commoner was also quite good...Never have I wanted to kill someone so bad!

Human Noble by no means is a bad origin...I just wish you could of at least confronted Howe or seen him in the background during the attack...Also its quite a short origin...And of course if you court the Elven lass her dying was kinda sad after you had your errr fun time with her heh...

And my least favorite would be the Dwarf Noble...Its not so much a bad origin I just did not care for it...It was the cheesy "oh im the lowest in line for the throne but ill pit my two siblings against each other and they will cancel each other out opening the way for me into the throne hehe!" I actually like Gorim and a few other aspects just not the whole plot of it...The Dalish origin comes close though to last though and I am sure most people think of this one as the weakest...

So whats your favorite and least favorite?

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#2 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:44 PM

Hm.

City elf is the best, agreed. The origin story comes up close and personal like no other I've played (haven't tried Dwarf Commoner yet) with it's likeable characters dropped into the middle of gritty atrocities.

I liked the mage origin too, but it's got part to do with having come up with a character I like for it. I do like the Jowan sideline though; I used to hate that guy when I played with the other origins, but playing through the mage origin gave him a bit of depth.
As for the origin story itself, I think I'd have to play it through another time with a different character to see if it really provides the kind of choices that it seems to provide, it would be kinda awful if it were the kind of an railroad like most of the dialog where whatever you say, the answer you get is the same.

HN is good too. Though it's quite short, I think it 'follows you' better than most others. Or, well, the 'you're an human noble!/elf/dwarf/whatever comments are a bit more elaborate. And, well, it does introduce some fun characters, just a shame all the good ones die/disappear, and you won't see any of them before the endgame.

Dwarf noble seems interesting, but, eh, only played it once, haven't yet made up my mind about it. I guess, if they've done it properly, it may add some depth to the boring orzammar chapter that comes later in the story.
It seems like something fun enough to mess around with, the options to just kill people on the streets for the heck of it, but probably not a fave for any in-depth characters.

Dalish on the other hand, is terrible. You have a friend, of sorts, except there really isn't any banter that'd let you get to know him at all before he disappears. And then you get blighted, and lulz, Duncan is so impressed with it all that he wants you to join? Sweet.
I think it just leaves an alien taste in the mouth, the people in the origin story act as if they were clsoe to you and knew you, but there's very little space left for friendly chatter, to bond with the origin.
The awfulness of it is magnified by the utter lack of proper racist characters anywhere in the game excepting the city elf origin; there's a total of 0 characters around that'd justify all the 'Rar! You has a problem with elves?!' lines that you can opt to say, or what the dalish in Zathrians camp say.
CE origin is the only part of the game that'd warrant some misapprehensions towards human nobility and humans in general. This sucks.
I really was disappointed that you won't have a chance to get into any proper racial clashes with anyone unless you play an murderously bigoted character.
It'd have been sweet, if even, say, the mob of refugees that attacks you in Lothering would spew some racism as their excuse.
Alas, no. If you want to be racist, you'll be left alone on the sandbox.

#3 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:09 AM

My favourite is Dalish elf. Best story, best origin-related story lines during the game, best feeling.

Mage is really good, I'd say it would be best, but the problem is, I have to have a rogue in the party. And both two rogues in the game are bisexual people who hit on you, and I don't like that, unless I plan to romance either(and I usually don't, because Alistair romance is very plot-related, so skipping it feels just wrong). So, origin = great, rogue NPCs = bad thinking.

Dwarf noble and Human noble are both good. I like the lines, like the stories, like the benefits. Human noble can be queen, and dwarf noble gets lots of money straight from the beginning(25 gold coins from Lord Dace), and gets the best merchant in the game(Gorim buys everything back at 50% of the original price).

City elf is so-so. I don't like this forced marriage idea(you can scream "I won't get married", but you eventually end up on the platform anyway, and you can't even make a "Go to hell, all of you" speech), I don't like the idea of my character getting 40 gold coins and returning straight to the Alienage(how dumb is that?), and there are practically no origin story hints throughout the game - only people telling your female city elf that she is very pretty.

Dwarf commoner is probably my least favourite. I didn't connect to it anyhow. Maybe I should've played Orzammar with it, see sister as Bhelen's consort, anything, but it just wasn't for me.

#4 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:28 AM

I've tested all six of the origins, and I think my favorite remains the Mage Origin. I love the Fade, I love being a Mage, Irving's like my favorite grandfather (just kidding, but I love the character), there's the bashful and endearing young templar Cullen, and the whole thing ties in pretty nicely with the Jowan storyline (and I love the moral choice lying therein; my poor Lawful Magi always agonizes over the decision
Spoiler
). And mages just plain rock, 'nuff said.

Human Noble was the one I play on my first run through, and I thought it was pretty decent, and it gave a god reason to **really** hate Howe (whereas in the other origins, you just kinda stumble into his estate
Spoiler
)

Dwarven Noble and Dwarven Commoner were pretty good, but I'm waiting for a full playthrough to see how Orzammar reacts to the return of their beloved princess or down trodden casteless...

City Elf... I have mixed feelings about this one, pretty much for the reasons Kulyok stated. I only play a Male City Elf, so maybe my point of view'll change when I try a Female City Elf, but I'm expecting to change as much as my opinion of the escape from Fort Drakon changed (between breaking out and waiting for rescue...), ie not that much. It's an origin which had serious potential, but it kinda looses momentum and can be summed up in aggressive responses to various NPCs ("what do you have against elves?" or "I'll gut you if you don't talk to me with respect"). It makes me think of my teenage cousins, angry at the world, blah, blah, blah. Gets old.

My least favorite was the Dalish Elf origin. When I first saw my elven lass with him, I thought he was her husband/bondmate/whatever, so I was almost disappointed to find out he was just a childhood friend (maybe that's because I made her with white hair and imagined her to be a little older than my usual fledgling characters). And there was the whole "I'm taking you to Ostagar, cause you're infected, even though you've recovered, you'll eventually die", which doesn't make much sense, because, well, Wardens are supposed to enroll based on ability, not on pity (even though I'm taking a bit of short cut there, I know). So bleh... I'd have been much more satisfied with Tamlen turning into a shriek then and there, on the stop, and me slaying him all by myself... :D (Instead of being carried back to camp by Duncan after having been found delirious in the forest... <_< )

Edited by Eleima, 27 November 2009 - 03:29 AM.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#5 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:33 AM

Of the ones I've played (Human noble, city elf, Dalish elf and mage), the City Elf origin is by far my favourite, playing as a female. Second is a tie between human noble and mage. Dalish elf just felt so... meh.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#6 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:05 AM

My least favorite was the Dalish Elf origin. When I first saw my elven lass with him, I thought he was her husband/bondmate/whatever, so I was almost disappointed to find out he was just a childhood friend (maybe that's because I made her with white hair and imagined her to be a little older than my usual fledgling characters). And there was the whole "I'm taking you to Ostagar, cause you're infected, even though you've recovered, you'll eventually die", which doesn't make much sense, because, well, Wardens are supposed to enroll based on ability, not on pity (even though I'm taking a bit of short cut there, I know).

I liked two things there: first, if you talked to Tamlen and chose "Because I wanted to be with you, of course" reply in one of the PID's, there'd be hints of the romance throughout the origin. But I took him for a close friend anyway, so it didn't make that much of a difference.

And the second thing - for Dalish Elf becoming the Grey Warden was her salvation. She's the only one who is really, actually, dying, so, if my Human Noble or Elven Mage actually got only 30 years to live, my Dalish Elf gains +30 years to live. So, whereas in other origins I felt resentment, because my heroine had choices that were cut off due to developer intent(run away with Jowan, run from the Alienage with the money, betray Bhelen first, go to the surface as a casteless, run away from the castle and go to Orlais), Dalish Elf heroine is actually dying, and Duncan saves her. So, Dalish Elf origin story was the only story for me where becoming the Warden felt completely right.

#7 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:54 AM

Um. You couldn't exactly have run away with Jowan, the templars have your phylactery stored elsewhere, so they could home in on you in the blink of an eye. o_o

As far as running away to Orlais, that seems rather a silly idea since stopping the blight is what the game is all about... You couldn't possibly feel justified resentment for not getting 2 fully developed storylines for the price of 1, or wha? o_O

And as for betraying Bhelen first, it seems to me that there simply is no sensible opportunity for that.
You always meet him either in a place where you couldn't possibly do anything to him without screwing yourself, or in the company of people you couldn't really get away screwing with.
Think of that what you will, I think it works. o_o

CE origins though, I suppose it really could use an 'sit in a corner and sulk while other people handle the preparations' option.

#8 Bardess

Bardess

the Eternal Noob

• Modder
  • 483 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:30 AM

City Elf is my favorite, although it's the yuckiest, yes? I didn't try dwarves, the rest were alright.

It's a little pathetic when you try to play a tough-guy human noble and your father calls you "pup". And in front of all those people. :D

"Farewell, Charname, and may Irenicus get you!"

Mazzy to Edwin:
"When science finally locates the center of the planes, I'm sure you'll be taken aback to find that you're not it."

- Author of lil one-day Moddie fox. -

#9 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:10 AM

Dwarf noble ranks as my favorite-it's so different from what you normally expect of dwarves, and it makes for interesting RP when you finally return.

City elf is my least favorite. Too much shock and awe, not enough meat and seasoning.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#10 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:41 AM

It seems that everyone has quite different tastes...Well besides Kulyok :whistling:

Regardless I find it quite interesting in all the different choices people like and dislike...each to their own eh?

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#11 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

I completely agree, Vicen. That's the beauty of the varied origins: there's something for everyone, right? ^_^

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#12 Rizzen

Rizzen
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:27 PM

I've tried them all except for Dwarf Commoner. Haven't yet played through with all my characters to see how things have changed, but I enjoyed the City Elf one (as a female character) more than the others so far. Mages origin being a close second and the Dalish one at the bottom. Kulyok does bring up a good point about the Dalish one however, never looked at it that way yet.
Posted Image

#13 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:34 PM

I've done all origins except for dwarf commoners. So far, my favourite is human noble altho I also really like magi and dalish elf. I disliked the city elf one the most. There was really no reason for Duncan to show up there. So story seemed to be a bit forced in my opinon.

#14 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:24 AM

Mine, well, I take the mage, after all, you are a criminal and get to kill every one in the tower...

And there was the whole "I'm taking you to Ostagar, cause you're infected, even though you've recovered, you'll eventually die", which doesn't make much sense, because, well, Wardens are supposed to enroll based on ability, not on pity (even though I'm taking a bit of short cut there, I know).

I liked two things there: first... And the second thing - for Dalish Elf becoming the Grey Warden was her salvation. She's the only one who is really, actually, dying, so, if my Human Noble or Elven Mage actually got only 30 years to live, my Dalish Elf gains +30 years to live. So, whereas in other origins I felt resentment, because my heroine had choices that were cut off due to developer intent(run away with Jowan, run from the Alienage with the money, betray Bhelen first, go to the surface as a casteless, run away from the castle and go to Orlais), Dalish Elf heroine is actually dying, and Duncan saves her. So, Dalish Elf origin story was the only story for me where becoming the Warden felt completely right.

Ah how blind you are, Duncan was lying to you, and you fell for it.
As I have said already, Duncan is the real bad tude in the game, as he was behind all the origins, and he is still alive. :devil:

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 03 January 2010 - 03:28 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#15 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:42 AM

I played them all except Dwarf Noble. I didn't particularly care for City Elf... I suspect those who like it most often played through as a female, but playing as the groom I didn't think it was that great (doesn't help that I'm utterly sick of "Oh those nasty bigoted humans" plots in, well, absolutely everything). I liked human noble, human magic and dwarf commoner well enough. Dalish elf wasn't bad either... I'm somewhat tempted to try to play through with him as a ranger rogue, pet and archery, and relive my WoW days :D

I do have to say it is a bit annoying that the only way you can get one of the best daggers in the game is as a City Elf. Dangit, my dwarf commoner wants Fang too!

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 03 January 2010 - 06:43 AM.

#16 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

Well I'm a month late posting in this thread, but I've only just got around to playing all the origins. All the origins were fine but I found human noble by far the most emotionally engaging. A lot of people (on other boards) seem to rate the dwarf noble and I'll agree it's interesting in terms of backstabbing and sex, but I as I already knew what would happen to my character (from going to Orzammer on previous playthroughs) I knew the twist was coming and wasn't surprised by it, which took away much of that origin's appeal. I also really dislike the Deep Roads and wasn't happy to be ending up there again - twice.

City Elf was quite good (I usually only like playing humans, but I was sufficiently engaged by this one to actually finish a playthrough with my crop-haired lesbian elf - I figured she'd be sufficiently unimpressed by arrange marriage and noble rape to seek solace in the arms of a certain red-headed bard).

I also liked the Mage playthrough - I felt a lot of empathy for Jowan and his intended fate. I'm on my second mage now (first one was a bad boy blood mage - now I'm playing a female arcane warrior) and will make another noble after this.
I tried playing as a female dwarf commoner but although the origin was fun enough, I couldn't relate to my character and abandonned that playthrough at Lothering.

I just wish they'd done a human commoner origin - I think it would have been a lot more interesting with a character potentially more sympathetic to that common boy-done-good, Loghain, than nobles like the Arl of Redcliffe.

#17 Gomb

Gomb
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:29 AM

Mage Origin>>>every other. For me at least. I played through the game as a mage, and even though I tried several other origins after that, they couldn't really keep my attention as much as the mage origin did.

#18 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:29 PM

Better late than never... I didn't feel like posting earlier, as I hadn't yet played all the Origin stories, but I've finished the elven ones now, so here goes:

Posted Image
Gold: Magi
As usual, my fascination with all things magical prevails here - the Origin came off as a personal experience, the events being something I actually cared about. I've played it through twice so far to experiment with the dialog options. Without a doubt my number one Origin.

Posted Image
Silver: Dwarf Noble
It's an interesting Origin with a fair bit of options into it, and considering the fact that it has the grandest setting and lengthiest playthrough time, I rank it in second place. Depending on how you play it, the amount of gold you can get before its ending can feel like cheating. Bonus points for Gorim.

Posted Image
Bronze: Human Noble
A very nice - if short - Origin with a lot of emotional moments, including Dog. Early access to Dog's find ability. Ties in nicely with the game's main plot as well. Third place.

Posted Image
4th Place: Dwarf Commoner
It's a good Origin with its intrigue and the Provings, but personally I was a bit annoyed by the dialog options - I'm usually the Persuasion/Diplomacy check buff in games, so my characters usually have a fancy way of expressing themselves in conversations. I rank it in fourth place.

Posted Image
5th Place: City Elf
It's an Origin that gets down and personal, and could have easily contended with Dwarf Commoner if it wasn't for my dislike of playing elves in general. It's the only Origin that is drastically different with male and female characters - I played it through with both for the complete experience.

Posted Image
6th Place: Dalish Elf
Without doubt the weakest link in the bunch, it offers a less personal experience than the other Origins. It's also quite short, but without the charm of the Human Noble Origin in my opinion. I can only see a person who actually likes elves - especially Dalish ones - ranking this any higher than 6th place.

#19 Gomb

Gomb
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

I pretty much share your opinions in ranking (although I still haven't played Dwarf Commoner), but I'd put City Elf higher myself. I'm not fond of playing elves either, but I think City Elf offers a bit of a different experience than how elves usually presented in a fantasy setting. And this is the only origin where you're not someone high and mighty - in every other origin you play a significant person. Not that I'd have a problem with that, but it's good to start off as an actual nobody and climb your way through to the title of Hero of Ferelden. (I was told that even if you play as Dwarf Commoner it is proven later that you're actually an noble outcast, but I might be wrong.)
Mage is Origin is still my favurite though, because the atmosphere of the Circle beats every other Origin for me.

#20 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

Always here, just look harder.

• 643 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:53 AM

Magi
Human Noble
Dwarf Commoner
Dalish Elf
City Elf / Dwarf Noble

Magi was the best, I agree. The surroundings and the story was great. A close second for me was the Human Noble, because of the story impact and Dog of course.

I ranked City Elf / Dwarf Noble the lowest, because of their predictability.
After an eternity away from you all, I've returned.