Dragon Age Fanfic recommendations

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:18 AM

Dragon Age is a wonder in a sense that there are so many characters who have their own stories, but we don't get to see the whole story - only a part of it. Jowan, Bella, Cullen, Tamlen, Soris, Gorim and Leske, even Dog - there is always something more to tell.

So, I went, laughed and cried at some really good fanfiction at FF.net, and I invite you to do the same. My favourites here(endgame spoilers, play the game before reading these!):

Crisium and callalili - all Dragon Age stories; they feature female Mage heavily(Alistair and Cullen, too).
Trovommi Amor - Loghain fans, here you go!
Martyrs and Thieves - features Alistair who made some Bad, Bad decisions.

Finally, for you Alistair lovers: http://community.liv...wooping_is_bad/ - Alistair fanfiction and more here.

Have you read stories about Dragon Age characters that made you laugh and cry? Please share!

#2 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:57 PM

Like you said, there are so many characters that deserve to be fleshed out, characters of which we only get a glimpse of, and it's always a treat to read some fanfics which expand on the main story. I can't really judge so far, because there are so many stories (over 200!), and I've yet to read more than 5 or 10, but I'm a big Cullen fan, and one story which gets my vote, so far is "What We Become" (warning, it has major game spoilers).

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#3 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:42 AM

[post="http://www.fanfictio...36/1/Cake"]Cake[/post] is absolutely wonderful. Can't recommend it enough. Just some scattered one-shots, but they draw you in completely. Features a female dwarf commoner.

Edit - Still fail at linking after all this time. Look it up!

Edited by Crazee, 13 December 2009 - 03:07 AM.

#4 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:03 PM

Gee, thanks a lot Eleima! Now I'm reading a damn shipping fic! And I'll still have to live with myself for the rest of my life, dammit! xD

Well, yeah, I was actually rather impressed by the eloquence there. Good stuff.

For the sickly curious members here, feel free to check out my far-out random SCRIBBLINGS.

#5 EvaineDian

EvaineDian
  • Validating
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:59 PM

Love "What We Become"!

I just read "Endlessly". It's brandnew, has only 2 chapters so far and the 2nd person narrator is unusual, but I like it very much so far.

#6 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:27 AM

"What We Become" is one of my very-very favourites. But I linked to Crisium and callalili's profiles, instead, because this way you'll read "What We Are" and "What We Were", and "On Knights", and "Always" - and I couldn't live without them, either.

#7 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:38 PM

Another one of my favourites: Understanding. It's a series of moments about a Dalish elf female protagonist and Alistair. It's nearly finished now(one more chapter left), and it's very good.

Edited by Kulyok, 11 January 2010 - 10:38 PM.

#8 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:23 AM

An interesting Loghain fic: Sensible Creatures. Some sarcasm and dark humor, certainly.

(Aaand if you haven't read What We Become already, use a link to Crisium's profile in the first post: some of Crisium's other stories for the same protagonist's been updated, as well).

#9 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:43 AM

Another good Loghain story: In All These Wasteful Hours.

#10 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:17 AM

This one is about Anders, and it is interesting(and funny in places, which matters; features Nathaniel, too): No Rest for the Wicked.

#11 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:01 AM

This looks like real fun: Victory at Ostagar. Preamble: Darkspawn didn't win at Ostagar, because the Cousland girl climbed the tower via a rope.

#12 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:06 AM

And - yep, finally! - sexy Nathaniel smut(see chapter 3): According to Plan.

#13 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:06 AM

If you liked Sensible Creatures(Loghain and a female blood mage, angst), maybe the sequel will interest you, too: Pretty and Pragmatic.

By the way, I don't know if it's off-topic, but maybe this topic deserves to be pinned? Dragon Age is about the story and romances and characters, after all. But that's just me.

#14 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:08 PM

Four Ways to Avoid Exile - about Lady Aeducan, naturally.

Awakening, Orlesian female mage Warden - and Nathaniel Howe. Flairer.

#15 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:23 AM

A beautiful Amell-Jowan story, Awaiting the Dawn.

#16 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:56 PM

A lovely Mage School Anders-Surana fanfic here: Samsara.

#17 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:27 PM

A sequel to Loghain's story In All These Wasteful Hours - Cartography.

#18 -Hat_in_hand-

-Hat_in_hand-

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:40 PM

For a couple weeks now I've also been laughing and crying over the great Dragon Age stories on FF.net. There are three or four that really blew me away, but I really hope these two continue getting updated!

http://www.fanfictio...#39;t_Forget_Me
http://www.fanfictio...en_in_the_Stars

Thanks for these posts; always nice to be pointed toward more great writing :D

#19 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:34 PM

One more Loghain fanfic: Truth or Dare. It _is_ a little crazy, but it's fun.

#20 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:24 AM

Out of interest, I'd be interested to know how everyone decides which stories to read, and which ones to skip.

I'm used to reading stories in the Baldur's Gate section of ff.net, which is beautifully unhurried and quiet. Whenever there's a new story, I can read the first chapter/sentence/paragraph and decide whether it's worth continuing. In a section like Dragon Age, where updates are a million a second, I have no idea what stories to read. Thoughts?