Dragon Age Fanfic recommendations

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:22 AM

At first, I tried keywords: Jowan, Aeducan, Loghain and so on. Then I looked at the number of reviews: a story with six chapters and over ninety reviews, for example, should be worth it(check it out). Usually a combination of these two works.

I admit that I tend to skip Cousland-Alistair game walkthrough stories: I might be wrong, but while I've seen one or two readable ones, they are mostly boring, alas. Also, usually it takes less than a minute to determine that it's a badly written story: usually the story description("Review or won't update!", "This is my first fanfic lol" and skipped commas all over) clearly indicates I most likely won't be interested.

But DA:O story updates on ff.net are not as frequent now, I think: for example, a month before I used to see three new pages(!) of stories per day. Not anymore: half a page, maybe two thirds at best.

Oh! And another recommendation, naturally: a new story from Crisium, called What We Choose. While it's available through the author's profile, I thought it was worth mentioning.

#22 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:07 AM

At first, I tried keywords: Jowan, Aeducan, Loghain and so on. Then I looked at the number of reviews: a story with six chapters and over ninety reviews, for example, should be worth it(check it out). Usually a combination of these two works.

I admit that I tend to skip Cousland-Alistair game walkthrough stories: I might be wrong, but while I've seen one or two readable ones, they are mostly boring, alas. Also, usually it takes less than a minute to determine that it's a badly written story: usually the story description("Review or won't update!", "This is my first fanfic lol" and skipped commas all over) clearly indicates I most likely won't be interested.

But DA:O story updates on ff.net are not as frequent now, I think: for example, a month before I used to see three new pages(!) of stories per day. Not anymore: half a page, maybe two thirds at best.

Oh! And another recommendation, naturally: a new story from Crisium, called What We Choose. While it's available through the author's profile, I thought it was worth mentioning.

Yes, that's generally how I find stories to read, too. It's a shame, though. I'm sure there are many quality stories that are going by unnoticed because no one's reviewed them, and because of that, no one bothers to read them at all. When I do read fanfiction that I think is worth reading, but hasn't got the attention it deserves, I force myself to leave a comment, however small. I'm a lurker by nature.

I generally skip Alistair-Anything stories, to be honest. I like Alistair, but I'm starting to go off him just because of the immense popularity of his romance in fanfiction. I haven't even tried it in-game, yet! That said, I'm sure there are a lot of stories I'm missing out on. My loss, I suppose.

Thanks for the input! :)

#23 -Hat_in_hand-

-Hat_in_hand-

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:31 PM

Out of interest, I'd be interested to know how everyone decides which stories to read, and which ones to skip.

I'm used to reading stories in the Baldur's Gate section of ff.net, which is beautifully unhurried and quiet. Whenever there's a new story, I can read the first chapter/sentence/paragraph and decide whether it's worth continuing. In a section like Dragon Age, where updates are a million a second, I have no idea what stories to read. Thoughts?

I'm picky about the length, and the description. Typically I pass over anything labeled "one shot" ( when I sit down to read, I want a story long enough to get me invested). If the author doesn't put much effort into the description, I usually read over the reviews and see what the general opinion is; if the synopsis is poorly written or child-like, I usually move on. There are plenty of great ideas by not-so-skilled authors, but the time it takes to struggle through to the message is too much for recreational reading, imo.

Beyond that, I give it one paragraph. If it isn't intriguing, bounces between pov or has one-dimensional characters, I pass. :)

How is the Baldur's Gate section? I love the games, but haven't read any stories yet.

#24 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:57 PM

There are good series if you look carefully. Fragment of Substance(it's on the first page) is good. There's also Baldur's Gate by Vegetius, Reclaiming and Discovery by arabellaesque, Fury, by Incanto(links here), and others(I've certainly missed someone). But if you're looking for BG2 fanfiction, take a look at the Attic: archive and ongoing works. I started reading with http://www.gamejag.net/Cards/ (In The Cards by Laufey) and kept reading until 5 am. I also recommend http://onlinefiction.net/ - Thayvian Tales(and Bitter Grey Ashes) are more than worth it.

#25 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:32 PM

Well, for BG fanfic, I'd add Oryx's tragically abandoned Baldur's Gate/Off, which is hilarious, and well worth the annoyance of trying to find all the chapters (posted at the Attic); nazlan/nazzymmc's Destiny (which is complete and posted at ff.net somewhere) and Venturing the Uncharted (in-progress, also at ff.net), The Blue Sorceress' On the Crumbling Road (quite old, but posted at ff.net), and Lord E's Sarevok Saga. There's just so many good ones out there that it's hard to choose what to recommend. There's a few other in-progress fics that are looking good so far (all at the Attic): Storm Warning, Arcon's Tale, In the Shadows of Amn, and The Fail Safe. Though I'd bet that a lot of BG players have at least tried to start writing...

And since I'm pretending to be on-topic, the same site has a few interesting DA:O one-shots: Queen Takes Knight, Of Mages and Templars (which is a bit disturbing), First Snowfall, and Return to Ostagar.
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice
-- "Nothing's gonna change my clothes", They Might Be Giants

#26 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:37 AM

Oryx's story is wonderful: the problem with it, just like with the Girl with No Name, is that it's unfinished and probably will remain so(got a PM from the author a few months ago). Sigh. Alas.

Anyway, on-topic, I wanted to recommend... um, no, haven't seen anything new yet. Has anyone seen anything interesting DA:O-ish here on SHS fanficforum, by the way?

#27 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:23 AM

I'm picky about the length, and the description. Typically I pass over anything labeled "one shot" ( when I sit down to read, I want a story long enough to get me invested). If the author doesn't put much effort into the description, I usually read over the reviews and see what the general opinion is; if the synopsis is poorly written or child-like, I usually move on. There are plenty of great ideas by not-so-skilled authors, but the time it takes to struggle through to the message is too much for recreational reading, imo.

Beyond that, I give it one paragraph. If it isn't intriguing, bounces between pov or has one-dimensional characters, I pass. :)

How is the Baldur's Gate section? I love the games, but haven't read any stories yet.

All good advice. I've found descriptions can be deceiving, however. There are some truly terrible descriptions that don't do the actual story justice. I'm taking a break from DA:O fanfic at the moment. I don't have the time for it, and it's a little too fast-paced for a tired old dinosaur like me.

I've been lurking (and, briefly, writing for ... before hastily removing all my stuff) in the Baldur's Gate section for years, now. There are some real gems there. However, most of them follow the same format - following Bhaalspawn X through the saga. Personally, I don't mind this. The writing is often good enough to look past the repetitiveness, and the authors find ways to take the plot in new and exciting directions. Some of my favourites include Blackcross-Taylor's charming and superbly written saga, Capt. Incredible's epic interpretation and anything by arabellaesque, who, tragically, hasn't updated any of her stories in a while.

A less standard story, perhaps, is Siblings, in which the Bhaalspawn is killed by Sarevok, and instead he and Imoen are kidnapped by Irenicus.

I could keep on listing stories forever. One last story I would recommend is A Cappella. I might be a bit biased, however, considering it was the first piece of fanfiction I ever read. It's pretty cool, though.

#28 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:58 PM

Grey Wardens on fanfiction: Worlds Within A World

#29 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:54 AM

Just read another update for Victory at Ostagar, and it is - still - very good. (By the way, 14 chapters and 229 reviews; other stories of this author gain lots of reviews(4307, anyone?)), as well. I do recommend it.

And Pretty and Pragmatic is going strong, too.

#30 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:34 AM

Humor, comedy and lots of sex: I heartily recommend Ridiculously Awesome. And other one-shots by the same author, naturally.

(It's really good: it was hard for me not to laugh out loud!)

#31 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:45 AM

Snow and Ice - a dark (Blood mage) heroine, Zevran pairing.

#32 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

Community Spotlight: A Midwinter?s Thaw @ Grey Wardens

In today?s Community Spotlight, we take a look at the celebrated saga A Midwinter?s Thaw, one of the most popular Dragon Age fanfiction series, which has garnered the affection of hundreds of readers throughout the BioWare community.

#33 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:05 AM

Warden's Fall Trailer, a youtube video series that looks like alot of effort has put into this.

Episode list here

#34 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:44 PM

The Keening Blade - humor, Avernus, some Blood magic.

"I shall take the final blow."
"Certainly not! I saw it first. It's my Archdemon and I'm going to kill it."

EDIT: I strongly recommend other stories by the same author, Arsinoe de Blassenville, especially Harry Potter stories, and the abovementioned Victory at Ostagar.

Edited by Kulyok, 16 September 2010 - 01:14 AM.

#35 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:11 AM

A Thousand Mile Wish - a good Nathaniel/Cousland Awakening story.

And another one(Nathaniel/Cousland, Awakening): Uncommon Ground

Edited by Kulyok, 16 September 2010 - 04:01 AM.

#36 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

The Arrangement - An interesting alternate scenario where Elissa Cousland is wedded to Loghain in a political marriage. The story begins while Maric is still alive and is planned to continue through the Blight. It's currently five chapters in and the writing and characterisation are both execllent. Some sexual content in Chapter 4.

#37 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:27 AM

Well I damn well recommend that you all speed over and read my scribbles. :P

#38 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:25 PM

Orzammar politics - an alternate view of noble dwarf(and casteless dwarf, albeit less so) origin. Gorim/female Aeducan pairing.

#39 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:03 AM

And one of my current favourites: A Southern Californian in King Cailan's Court. I know it sounds silly - hey, an American bimbo came to woo Alistair/Zevran/whomever! But it's not like this, seriously. Apart from the fact that it's well written, the original heroine a much older woman from present-day US, Lucy, who ends up in Elissa Cousland's young body(not telling how, but there's an expnalation). There are some very interesting developments there, too. Let's just say Loghain fans might be interested.

#40 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:03 AM

Some humor stories: Wishing You Weren't Here and other stories by the same author. Especially A Rose in Lothering

Edited by Kulyok, 30 November 2010 - 02:03 AM.