Photo

How to deal with the DDraw problems of PST and other IE games

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 English learner

English learner
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:57 AM

Don't wanna let you down,but I am sure it doesn't work(2CD Version) on my X64.I wonder if there is someone else who have tested it on win7x64.
In fact,it doesn't matter as Ion(Nvidia 9400M) doesn't cause much compatible trouble during playing.

#62 WDeranged

WDeranged
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:29 PM

I've just got myself a Radeon 5970 and was pretty blown away to find that PST works without any of the graphical issues that plagued me with my Geforce, the only issue I'm getting is slowdown when lots of NPC's are on screen, has anyone found a workaround for this?

I'm on Windows 7 by the way, I tried the compatibility toolkit but performance is almost identical <_<

The d3dwindower will probably fix your problems.

I didn't like the d3dwindower/shiftwindow method, it felt a bit sluggish so after a bit of digging I found another method for Windows 7, download and install the DirectX SDK from Microsoft and run dxcpl.exe (*install folder*\Utilities\bin\x86), this allows you to disable Directdraw hardware acceleration.

The only downside is mouse trails and no vsync, not a perfect solution but the the game is at least running full speed and glitch free :)

#63 -Arathian-

-Arathian-

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:58 AM

I had issues with mainly the cursor trails. I tried to use the windower along with that other program to make it full screen with the fixed cursor.

But for some odd reason no matter the resolution I put on the window it always runs it full screen and I still ave the trails.

#64 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:38 AM

I had issues with mainly the cursor trails. I tried to use the windower along with that other program to make it full screen with the fixed cursor.

But for some odd reason no matter the resolution I put on the window it always runs it full screen and I still ave the trails.

If you have trails it means that you've disabled direct draw acceleration and that may cause the problem, since d3dwindower probably needs ddraw enabled in order to emulate it. Re-enable it and try again.

#65 -Arathian-

-Arathian-

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:59 AM

If you have trails it means that you've disabled direct draw acceleration and that may cause the problem, since d3dwindower probably needs ddraw enabled in order to emulate it. Re-enable it and try again.

Hmm. Maybe. Not if only I could remember HOW it was disabled in that game as I'm pretty sure the hardware acceleration is still on. Most of the stuff I have been doing was suggested bu this forum in the main two topics but I thought I uninstalled the nvidia fix one... hmm what else is there...?

#66 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

The mouse trails appear only when you've turned hardware acceleration off, as far as I know.

#67 -Felipe-

-Felipe-

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:40 AM

hi, idk if this can be useful 4 ppl having problems with directdraw but since it helps ppl with fallout 2 and other games i decided to post it here http://www.nma-fallo...patibility tool

Download here: http://www.4shared.c...44/_online.html

#68 -aqrit-

-aqrit-

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:56 PM

DDrawI->Initialize( (GUID *)DDCREATE_EMULATIONONLY );
When using the Hardware Emulation Layer (HEL) the primary surface doesn't lock and WaitForVerticalBlank doesn't wait
(is HEL always used in windowed mode?)

I haven't look at the game...
Is it failing to lock the primary surface, which causes mouse trails?

#69 -Arathian-

-Arathian-

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:14 AM

The mouse trails appear only when you've turned hardware acceleration off, as far as I know.

I just checked the hardware acceleration and it's still at full the mods I think I install on torment are:the widescreen,ui mod(yours I think),unfinished business,fix pack, and tweak pack.

and it's the gog version if that matters.

#70 Creb

Creb
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:50 PM

Don't wanna let you down,but I am sure it doesn't work(2CD Version) on my X64.I wonder if there is someone else who have tested it on win7x64.
In fact,it doesn't matter as Ion(Nvidia 9400M) doesn't cause much compatible trouble during playing.

I run windower and Torment just fine on win7x64.

Anyways, just wanted to thank Ghostdog for this. Playing Torment again after a decade or so was unbearable without this fix.

Also, I use autohotkey to remove the window border/title so you don't have to play around with the resolution to accommodate your taskbar. Aka 'full screen windowed mode' as found in modern games. The script is:

^f::
WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, A
WinMove, A, , 0, 0, 1920, 1200
;WinActivate, A
return

Once you load it, pressing cntrl + f will work the magic. Replace 1920, 1200 with whatever your desktop resolution is.

Now, the only issue(s) I've had are a few crashes when the game goes to load a cutscene. Sometimes it'll work if I delete the cache and restart the game with the last autosave, though I had one instance when you are leaving the the alley where your body was found to go to the lower ward where the cutscene trigger crashed about 10 times in a row before I gave up and ran it without windower. Coincidentally or not, I had no problem loading the cutscene. Of course I returned to using windower after this workaround so I could use spell effects without wanting to kill myself. ;p I have no idea if that was related to windower, but it was a strange, seemingly coincidental workaround, so I thought I'd mention it.

The other minor problem I have which is not related to windower at all (happens regardless of using it or not), is the rare and seemingly random crashing on zoning. Restarting and reloading one's last autosave works, though I had one incident in which I could reproduce this almost 100% of the time. If I zoned into the midwife's hut (after I had already zoned in and out once successfully; so basically every time I returned to turn in a quest), it would crash. However, one of those crashes didn't occur till a few seconds after successfully zoning. In that instance, I clicked on the midwife to initiate dialog and she ignored me. Several seconds later, it crashed. Whether this sheds any light on the cause of these zoning-related crashes, I don't know. I have read that crashes tend to be associated with the widescreen mod, but my understanding is that those are related to not starting a new game, which is not the case here. I'm assuming something gets corrupted randomly. Thank goodness for all the autosaving on zoning so you loose nothing.

Again, ghostdog, thanks for all your work!

#71 -Arathian-

-Arathian-

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:10 AM

I just can't get windower to do anything. It won't put it in a window and it won't stop the cursor break up. I'm not sure what it is wrong with it.

#72 -mindflayer-

-mindflayer-

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:33 AM

I've just got myself a Radeon 5970 and was pretty blown away to find that PST works without any of the graphical issues that plagued me with my Geforce, the only issue I'm getting is slowdown when lots of NPC's are on screen, has anyone found a workaround for this?

I'm on Windows 7 by the way, I tried the compatibility toolkit but performance is almost identical <_<

I didn't like the d3dwindower/shiftwindow method, it felt a bit sluggish so after a bit of digging I found another method for Windows 7, download and install the DirectX SDK from Microsoft and run dxcpl.exe (*install folder*\Utilities\bin\x86), this allows you to disable Directdraw hardware acceleration.

The only downside is mouse trails and no vsync, not a perfect solution but the the game is at least running full speed and glitch free :)

Thank you so much for this, the only method that worked for me with IWD2, the only game that lags heavily with certain spell animations. This was the only thing that worked for me and allowed me to still play in full screen - no cursor glitches either!

#73 -Arathian-

-Arathian-

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

Thank you so much for this, the only method that worked for me with IWD2, the only game that lags heavily with certain spell animations. This was the only thing that worked for me and allowed me to still play in full screen - no cursor glitches either!

I can't figure out exactly what you said you do, save to download the sdk. I just told it to turn off hardware acceleration in the control panel of that but it acts like ti always does with the mouse trails. Then again I'm running win xp if that has anything to do with it.

#74 -Bakuzen-

-Bakuzen-

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:37 AM

Hi, i have a problem whit this. I try to play Jurassic Park Genesis Operation and it works great, but the cursor shows only in the window of the game, so i can't do anithing besides to play... Is there a way to fix this? Sorry for my english...

#75 -Eddy-

-Eddy-

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:17 AM

Hello, I tried to use this fix on my GOG copy of planescape Torment, but as soon as I start it up the screen goes black, I get a blue screen and a forcereboot... worst this is that the third time around it blue-screened without even booting the game. This could mean hardware problems, but im on my OSX partition now and everything seems fine... help? Im on Win7x64, I istalled all the GOG recommended patches plus the nvidiafix.

#76 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:45 AM

Hello, I tried to use this fix on my GOG copy of planescape Torment, but as soon as I start it up the screen goes black, I get a blue screen and a forcereboot... worst this is that the third time around it blue-screened without even booting the game. This could mean hardware problems, but im on my OSX partition now and everything seems fine... help? Im on Win7x64, I istalled all the GOG recommended patches plus the nvidiafix.

The fixes in this thread are considered obsolete since aqrit created the DDraw fix. This is stated clearly in the first post. Have a look at this pinned thread.

#77 -Sparky-

-Sparky-

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

K When I get into the game the screen starts moving to the Top Left and it won't stop... is there anyway I can fix this? I have installed the fix patch but didn't help it.

#78 -aqrit-

-aqrit-

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

Try renaming Torment.exe to PST.exe and see if that helps

Please let us know either way :-)

#79 -cryocore-

-cryocore-

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:30 AM

I made this thread a while ago about the complete fix for all Planescape issues (there are screenshots too).
http://www.gpforums....ight=planescape

Basically the new widescreen mods fixes all the glitches.

#80 -Houseberry-

-Houseberry-

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

Does installing this invalidate save games made before the installation?