• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#41 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:22 PM

Adding another bug to the list (tested and confirmed fixed):

10) During the "Lost to the Curse" quest (side quest encountered during Nature of the Beast), under the following conditions, you would get neither XP nor Athras' Pendant when telling Athras of his wife's fate: 1) He actually promised you the amulet when you took the quest, 2) You choose the specific reply "She died, Athras. But not before she sent her love.", and 3) you have neither Leilana nor Morrigan in the party. Fixed.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 29 March 2010 - 02:35 PM.

#42 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

Here's another one.

11. Ser Landry in Denerim challenges you to a duel based on Loghain's accusations. If you take any of the ways to persuade him not to fight you, you get nothing. There are two things indicating that this was not the intent, at least for one dialogue path:

1) In his dialogue file, attached to your high-persuade reply "Use your wits. The Wardens would never help the darkspawn.", is attached this comment:

IF: Persuade 3+

ACTION: The PC should get a good xp bonus for this because he's put doubt in a staunch opponent of the Grey Wardens. It should at least equal the XP for killing him in a duel.

For the record, at level 11 I got 69xp for killing Landry in a one-on-one duel.

2) There's an apparently unused line (it's impossible to be sure it's unused, toolset doesn't have much in the way of search options) in "rewards.2da" called "DEN_LANDRY_PEACEFUL" which, if activated, awards 200xp.

Those two are good enough for me in terms of verifying designer intent, and the fact that I don't have to come up with an arbitrary XP value clinches it. I'll be adding code to trigger that reward line.

Note that if you duel him, you get to loot him whereas you get no items for talking him out of it, so it's now somewhat balanced, as opposed to all rewards based on killing Mr. Honorable.

Qwinn

EDIT: The variable set that would logically trigger the reward ("LANDRY_RECONSIDERS_WARDENS") is also set by choosing the persuade option "If you're wrong, you'd be killing an innocent", which also requires a persuade check, but only at 2+. Based on the fact that the comment above refers to putting real doubt in him, it is specifically attached to that high-persuade reply only, and the "you'd be killing an innocent line" has him reply "I cannot take that chance. As much as I feel in my bones you are guilty." (emphasis original), which I don't think is the kind of "doubt" the comment was talking about, I don't think the lower persuade check should get the reward. So I'll create a new variable, and you only get the xp reward for the very high persuade reply that that comment is attached to.

EDIT 2: Fix implemented and tested. Interestingly, activating that line which explicitly says 200xp in rewards.xls actually only increases the XP of everyone in your party by 100xp. Oh well, still works and fits the intent expressed in the comment.

Edited by Qwinn, 30 March 2010 - 05:40 PM.

#43 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:56 AM

That's a good find - it's always great when the original developer intent is visible like that.

#44 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:47 PM

12. Ser Nancine in the Crime Wave quest had several bugs. As an exploit, you could get the sword from her in dialogue, and then use the Stealing skill to pickpocket a second copy off of her. Also, in various dialog paths, you could get Nancine to indicate she was giving you 5 silver or 2 gold, but you didn't actually receive any money in either case. Now you will. (Fix tested.)

(The second part makes this quest much more satisfying, btw. It's just awesome to leave with her sword, 2g of her money freely given, and her in her underwear.)

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 31 March 2010 - 11:59 PM.

#45 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:04 AM

And another one:

13. Just like you could break the game by talking to Ser Gilmore during the main hall fight in the human noble origin (see bug #1), you could similarly break the game by talking to Ser Perth if you entered Redcliffe Castle with him, during the fight with Bann Teagan. Doing so would repeat the dialogue you are only meant to have with him at the gate, before you actually enter the castle, with game breaking effects. Now doing so will just make him deliver one of his in-combat barks. Note that the Perth and Gilmore bugs appear to happen only on slower systems - on faster systems, it is difficult (Gilmore) or practically impossible (Perth) to actually click them for dialogue once the fight starts.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 04 April 2010 - 06:06 AM.

#46 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:41 AM

Yep, no marriage if Alistair+PC aren't ruling together.

#47 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:30 PM

Here's the updated bug list. A few new ones, too. (See #14-16)

1. Human Noble: At the beginning of the main hall battle, it was briefly possible to initiate dialogue with Ser Gilmore and prematurely trigger his post-combat dialogue. Doing so would make the exit never open, forcing a reload. Now, if you talk to him during that brief interval, he just shouts one of several combat barks instead. (Fix tested)

2. Similarly, during "Arl of Redcliffe", you could break the game by talking to Ser Perth at the very beginning of the fight with Bann Teagan (assuming you entered the castle with Ser Perth, of course). Doing so would repeat the dialogue you are only meant to have with him at the gate, before you actually enter the castle, with game breaking effects. Now he responds to dialogue attempts during that brief interval with one of his combat barks instead. (Fix tested)

3. During the quest for Sten's sword, it was possible to go directly from the scavenger in Lake Calahad to Dwyn, skipping Faryn completely. (Fix tested)

4. Infinite approval exploit in Sten's second camp dialogue fixed. Can no longer repeatedly ask "Why do the Qunari care about the Blight?" which led to a +4 approval option. (Fix tested)

5. Ancient Elven Boots will now appear in the Lothering Chantry cabinet. This was only bugged in the PC version of the game. (Fix tested)

6. Lothering: Allison's trap quest will no longer reset to the beginning after completion. (Fix tested)

7. Completing "The Shaper's Life" codex miniquest will now give the player one of the 3 previously unobtainable Shaperate's Blessing weapons, dependent on the player's class. (Fix untested)

8. City Elf: Cyrion will no longer appear during the coronation if the player allowed Caladrius to kill or enslave him. (Fix untested)

9. If you allowed Isolde and/or Connor to die, their codex entries would say that they lived, and vice versa. (Fix tested)

10. If Lothering was destroyed and you never even talked to Sten, you were still getting a codex entry about his death that implied you had met him. (Fix untested)

11. During the "Lost to the Curse" quest (side quest encountered during Nature of the Beast), under the following conditions, you would get neither XP nor Athras' Pendant when telling Athras of his wife's fate: 1) He actually promised you the amulet when you took the quest, 2) You choose the specific reply "She died, Athras. But not before she sent her love.", and 3) neither Leilana nor Morrigan are present at the time. (Fix tested)

12. Unimplemented XP reward for persuading Ser Landry that Wardens would never ally with Darkspawn restored. That this was intended is supported by a comment attached to that reply: "ACTION: The PC should get a good xp bonus for this because he's put doubt in a staunch opponent of the Grey Wardens. It should at least equal the XP for killing him in a duel." A line matching that description already existed in rewards.2da, so I just activated the reward that what was already there. (Fix tested)

13. Ser Nancine in the Crime Wave quest had several bugs. As an exploit, you could get the sword from her in dialogue, and then use the Stealing skill to pickpocket a second copy off of her. Also, in various dialog paths, you could get Nancine to indicate she was giving you 5 silver or 2 gold, but you didn't actually receive any money in either case. Now you will. (Fix tested.)

14. Infinite XP exploit, where the vault door in Redcliffe Castle would be locked every time the area loaded and could be picked again and again for 50xp, fixed. (Fix tested)

15. The unique crossbow Nugbane can now be stolen from the Mines Commander in Orzammar. He has it in the vanilla game, and the "Stealable" flag is clearly checked, but it could not be stolen due to being equipped. As there is no other reasonable explanation for his having it in his inventory (his graphics displays his battleaxe, not the crossbow), it being equipped is almost certainly a bug. (Fix tested)

16. Immediately after the coronation during "Paragon of her Kind", the sidequest "Of Noble Birth", which only male noble dwarves can undertake during their origin story, shows up as failed in every player's quest journal regardless of the player's gender or race. It can even show up as failed for male noble dwarves who completed it successfully. (Fix untested)

17. The Stealing and Dog Fetching bugs introduced in patch 1.03 (where they could not generate random items) is fixed *properly*. The existing fixes for this bug at DANexus fix it incorrectly... stealing and dog fetching are fixed but it also causes creatures killed in combat to drop both random gold *and* random items, which was unintended. They are only meant to drop one or the other. (Fix tested)

18. Tons of bugs related to the "Precious Metals" quest fixed. A) Godwin will no longer vanish after talking to him once the Circle quest is completed, which unnecessarily forced you to leave the area and return to talk to him again. B) The reply option "Why do you need all that lyrium?" was nonsensically appearing the very first time you talked to him with Rogek's quest in your journal. It wasn't meant to appear until after you'd either sold the lyrium to Godwin or denied it to him. That could cause events to play well out of order. C) You could threaten Godwin that you would turn him in to Greagoir, but due to an unset variable you couldn't actually do it. Now you can. (Fix tested)

19. The quest "The Hungry Prisoner" will no longer close with an erroneous entry if you leave Ostagar having acquired the key by feeding the prisoner but without using it on the chest. The quest will remain open, just as it does if you got the key by killing the prisoner. The quest can still be completed during the Return to Ostagar DLC. (Fix tested, except for confirming opening chest will close open journal entry in RtO.)

20. Exploit: During "Urn of the Sacred Ashes", after you find the Urn, zoning from the Gauntlet to Mountaintop gives you 750xp. Go back into the gauntlet and exit again, another 750xp. Repeat ad nauseum and hit the level cap quite quickly. Fixed. (Fix tested)

21. Bel's Cache will no longer get reactivated as an openable empty container every time you re-enter the Circle Tower second level. (Fix tested)

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 07 April 2010 - 05:50 AM.

#48 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:39 PM

I just took a look at the stealing bug introduced by patch 1.03, and the popular fixes for it that have been linked to do NOT fix it correctly.

Here's what looks like is going on to me: You've probably noticed that in patch 1.03 onward, you get a lot more money drops than you used to from creatures. This was done intentionally, and is handled in sys_treasure_h. In that code is this bit:

// PREVENT NON-MONEY TREASURE IF CREATURE ALREADY HAS MONEY
                if(GetObjectType(oTarget) == OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE && GetCreatureMoney(oTarget) > 0)
                    continue;

And the code for random item drops follows it, so if this condition passes, the random item code doesn't run. The intent was that creatures can drop money, or a random item, but not both.

This bit of code is meant for drops from creatures. The bug is that, when you are stealing, this bit of code runs and oTarget -is the player-, since it is the player who is having items/gold added to his inventory. Since you as the player almost certainly have money, this prevented the random item code from ever running during stealing.

The popular fixes that are out there "fix" stealing by changing the condition to GetCreatureMoney(oTarget) < 0... which *always* fails since nothing can have negative money. So if you use the popular stealing fixes out there you can get random money *and* random items from creature drops, which was not intended.

The way I'm going to fix it is to add the condition that oTarget is not the PC or any joinable character that can theoretically steal (which is actually all of them, since anyone can take the skill). That should fix the stealing issue without making creatures killed in combat drop both items and money.

This is actually probably what is causing the dog fetching bug as well, I'll see if this fix fixes that too.

I left a note on the comments of the main Stealing fix's download site at DANexus. Hopefully he'll fix his method.

EDIT: Confirmed. This fix corrected both Stealing and Dog Fetching, without changing creature drops.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 05 April 2010 - 06:53 PM.

#49 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

Aaaand another!

18. Tons of bugs related to the "Precious Metals" quest fixed. A) Godwin will no longer vanish after talking to him once the Circle quest is completed, which unnecessarily forced you to leave the area and return to talk to him again. B) The reply option "Why do you need all that lyrium?" was nonsensically appearing the very first time you talked to him with Rogek's quest in your journal. It wasn't meant to appear until after you'd either sold the lyrium to Godwin or denied it to him. That could cause events to play well out of order. C) You could threaten Godwin that you would turn him in to Greagoir, but due to an unset variable you couldn't actually do it. Now you can. (Fix tested)

Qwinn

#50 Zander

Zander
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:39 PM

I'm looking forward to you releasing the fixpack - Precious Metals and the Hungry Prisoner have irritated me since my first playthrough.

#51 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

Fixing Precious Metals actually took a bunch of extra fixes and tweaking in order to get all the content working right:

1) The 2nd circle tower area script would recreate Godwin after he was removed by reporting him to Greagoir.

2) When you snitch to Greagoir, he goes off to find Godwin, and the dialogue comments *say* "Fade out" but it didn't actually do so. Then dialogue with him would restart instantly, which looked goofy, there was no discernible pause, he was "I'ma go get him" and the next line "So I got him" would appear instantly, you wouldn't even know dialogue ended and restarted in between. So I had to spend the last few hours figuring out how to convert a line to a cutscene and add a fade effect, but it all looks good now.

3) After the whole "snitch on Godwin" dialogue -> end dialogue -> restart dialogue -> "So I got Godwin, thanks" sequence, dialogue would restart yet again with his normal dialogue line. Took a bit but I got it to stop doing that.

Took a while, but the quest all plays out really well now. I'm very happy with it.

Zander, re: Hungry Prisoner, are you talking about the codex entry if you finish Ostagar with the key but never use it on the chest? I actually wound up not re-coding that one after finding out how it interacts with Return to Ostagar, but if that's actually bothering someone, sure, I'll redo it.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 05 April 2010 - 10:16 PM.

#52 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:00 AM

After a crapload of testing, I'm feeling pretty confident that the rather major bugs where you could wind up making A Paragon of Her Kind uncompletable by completing both Dulin and Vartag's first quests, and then telling both of them that you would spy on the other, was stealth-fixed in patch 1.03 (or maybe earlier). I cannot duplicate the bugs anymore, even following the precise steps laid out in the wiki. The bug where A Prince's Favor: The First Task would get stuck and left open in your journal has been fixed as well.

Qwinn

#53 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:09 AM

That's nice - although if it's so, BioWare should have mentioned that in the change log, as that was a major bug. It's too bad that Awakening has so many bugs and glitches.

#54 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:23 AM

I'm gonna hold off on an Awakenings fixpack until they put out a patch or three. Gotta give 'em at least a chance to fix their own stuff. Origins has -had- 3 patches and these haven't been resolved yet, which means there's a fair chance they simply won't be fixed officially.

Qwinn

#55 Zander

Zander
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

Zander, re: Hungry Prisoner, are you talking about the codex entry if you finish Ostagar with the key but never use it on the chest? I actually wound up not re-coding that one after finding out how it interacts with Return to Ostagar, but if that's actually bothering someone, sure, I'll redo it.

Qwinn

It just irritates me that I have fed the prisoner and got the key and the comment to try later when the Tranquil isn't present, then have it change to "you didn't give the prisoner any food, if I cross the bridge to the Tower of Ishal without using the key. The key is in my inventory after all, and the olly way to get it without killing the prisoner is to feed him.

Does it revert to "you used the key" when you use it in RtO? (I always reloaded and used the key.....)

If I'm the only one complaining, no point in fixing something that doesn't seem to bother other people. The other fixes you've done are great, and do fix a lot more than a minor annoyance.

Thanks for all your efforts, and can't wait to see the fix pack - and use it! Posted Image

#56 Zander

Zander
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

A couple of screenshots to illustrate what annoys me...... First one is just after I gave him the food, second one is just after Duncan sends us to the Tower. I don't understand why the quest updates like that.

Attached Images

• Fed him.jpg
  • Didn\'t open the chest.jpg

#57 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:59 PM

Yah, it annoyed me too. And yah, I'll take care of it. Just gotta remember where that actually changes, hehe, took me a while to find the script last time.

If you have Return to Ostagar installed, then you actually could just leave it as an open quest with the text from the 1st picture you posted. Everything there's still valid. If you *don't* have it installed, then I figure close it and give it the vague "You fed the prisoner" entry, the one you get if you feed him without asking him for anything in return. It doesn't mention the key, but eh, who cares, at least it's accurate.

Is that what you'd like to see? Or should I try to find some method that doesn't care what's installed? Note that I still don't know *how* to do conditional logic based on what DLC's are in.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 06 April 2010 - 03:00 PM.

#58 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:45 PM

Okay, I found the script that runs when you leave Ostagar. That second closed entry, the bad one, is called PRISONER_ABANDONED and gets set when you leave for the Tower of Ishal and:

The Prisoner Asked you for Food, AND (You didn't kill him OR open the chest).

I'm changing it to:

Set to PRISONER_ABANDONED if The Prisoner Asked you for Food, AND (you didn't kill him OR open chest) AND (you didn't feed him).

Set to PRISONER_GOT_FOOD_NO_KEY ("You gave the food you obtained to the hungry prisoner.") if The Prisoner Asked you for Food, AND (you didn't kill him OR open chest) AND (you fed him).

I've decided to keep things simple and, no matter what, the journal entry gets closed before you leave Ostagar, whether the player has Return to Ostagar installed or not. I'm just making the minimal change possible here to make the information in the Codex no longer inaccurate.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 06 April 2010 - 03:46 PM.

#59 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

Oops! Never mind. Testing changed everything.

Turns out, in the original game, if you just KILL the prisoner and take his key, you get the same entry that you get if you feed the prisoner and get his key that way. See the last post's conditions for closing the quest with that Abandoned entry? Doesn't happen if you killed him. If you kill him and don't use the key, the quest remains -open-. I previously presumed that killing him closed the quest earlier, and the exception in that code was so as not to overwrite the killed-him closing entry. But nope.

That changes the picture considerably. The intent is no longer clear. Killing him and getting key by feeding both leave the journal open with the same entry, but one gets errouneously closed with bad text and the other gets left open. If the intent was that the journal always close, why that explicit exception to closing it if you kill him?

It now seems slightly more likely to me that they just forgot to put an exception in for having fed him and gotten the key that way, especially in light of it still being completable in Return to Ostagar. So I'll be doing it that way instead.

19. The quest "The Hungry Prisoner" will no longer close with an erroneous entry if you leave Ostagar having acquired the key by feeding the prisoner but without using it on the chest. The quest will remain open, just as it does if you got the key by killing the prisoner. The key can still be used during the Return to Ostagar DLC.

(Note: At this point I'm assuming that, if you have the journal entry open in this way, opening the chest during Return To Ostagar will close the Hungry Deserter quest. That could be tested without my fixpack by killing the prisoner and getting the quest to stay open that way... anyone out there that's done it that way, and can tell us what happens? I'm guessing not, but can't hurt to ask).

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 06 April 2010 - 06:07 PM.

#60 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:43 PM

I've extended my apologies to the posters of the popular Stealing and Dog Fetch fixes over at DANexus, it was my mistake, I was looking at one fix but read the comments to a different fix. If I'd read the actual comments of the project whose details I saw, I would've seen that someone had already raised all the same points I did in this thread, and they've already been corrected for a while (well, since March 23 or so it appears). So, oops. Those stealing fixes should be fine.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 06 April 2010 - 06:49 PM.